edzieba

Tolerance of camera board to other packages (and sensors)

Sat May 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Does the board (and the we-cant-see-the-source part of the GPU-side gubbins) do any sort of checking as to which sensor module is attached, or will it only work with the P5V04A? e.g:
1) Could an alternate camera module using the OV5647 (for example) work, assuming the connector pinout is the same?
2) Could a raw OV5647 sensor (for example) be used to replace the module on the existing FFC (assuming you're a soldering wizard)? This would make things easier for the custom-lens-and-no-IR-filter crowd, assuming a source of raw sensors on FFCs could be found.

Also, what would happen if a non-OV5647 sensor (that also uses MIPI-DSI) were connected? Would the whole thing simply refuse to initialise? Would the sensor simple be assumed to be unchanged and thus work, but with totally incorrect tuning parameters?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Tolerance of camera board to other packages (and sensors

Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 am

Not sure what would happen in case 1 and 2 - might work, as long as the module responds with the same camera ID.

Different camera modules won't work - we I'd the camera and have specific drivers for each module (they are all different - CSI only defines the connection)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Camera board”