MattHawkinsUK

Re: Cannot disable preview

Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips. I've managed to edit and recompile my RaspiStill utility following m1m1's instructions although I had to sudo the apt-get and make commands plus install cmake. I skipped the git clone because I already had the userland zip file which I copied across using WinSCP.

Being able to do this myself is great because now I can tinker with the apps and make some customisations!

A few things that spring to mind are changing the default command line option values and padding the number inserted into the filename during time lapse still capture.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 pm

The filename during timelapse it pretty versatile. It uses the same formatting as printf, so...

-o filename%d.jpg == filename1.jpg, filename2.jpg etc

-o filename%04d.jpg == filename0001.jpg, filename0002.jpg etc

-o filename%dplus.jpg == filename1plus.jpg, filename2plus.jpg etc

Look up printf formatting for more exciting options!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Chris_Reynolds

Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Re-read m1m1's instructions and it is building fine now - thanks again.

Now to look at the EXIF data.

AMazinG

Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks all for your valious posts. m1m1 guide worked perfectly fine!!
[AMG]

eckythump

Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 am

I also had success with m1m1's instructions, thanks indeed.

a bit off topic, but related:

it seems like the raspberry pi is going through quite a long-winded procedure (took about 30 minutes in total) just to make one change in a single .c file. Could anybody point me in the direction of a guide/tutorial that explains what is happening here and why these steps are necessary? Is there a faster way of testing the result of changing a line or two of code?

Nu7s

Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 am

jamesh wrote:The filename during timelapse it pretty versatile. It uses the same formatting as printf, so...

-o filename%d.jpg == filename1.jpg, filename2.jpg etc

-o filename%04d.jpg == filename0001.jpg, filename0002.jpg etc

-o filename%dplus.jpg == filename1plus.jpg, filename2plus.jpg etc

Look up printf formatting for more exciting options!
Thanks, I was wondering about this.

Chris_Reynolds

Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 am

eckythump wrote:I also had success with m1m1's instructions, thanks indeed.

a bit off topic, but related:

it seems like the raspberry pi is going through quite a long-winded procedure (took about 30 minutes in total) just to make one change in a single .c file. Could anybody point me in the direction of a guide/tutorial that explains what is happening here and why these steps are necessary? Is there a faster way of testing the result of changing a line or two of code?
I had a long compile the first time as none of the binaries for any of the userland code were there. After that the make file just whizzed through all the non-camera stuff and takes just a few seconds to build raspistill so my edit compile test cycle is fine now. Are you seeing it rebuild all of the code on each run of sudo make?

eckythump

Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 am

Chris_Reynolds wrote:
I had a long compile the first time as none of the binaries for any of the userland code were there. After that the make file just whizzed through all the non-camera stuff and takes just a few seconds to build raspistill so my edit compile test cycle is fine now. Are you seeing it rebuild all of the code on each run of sudo make?
yes, when I make changes now it just takes about 20 seconds to do the whole thing, which is good to know,
thanks.

giaoduong

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:53 pm

When I typed: sed -i ‘s/if (DEFINED CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE)/if (NOT DEFINED CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE)/g’ makefiles/cmake/arm-linux.cmake

It said: couldn’t open temporary file makefiles/cmake/seduMkbNy: Permission denied.

How could I solve it???
Thanks!

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:04 pm

giaoduong wrote: It said: couldn’t open temporary file makefiles/cmake/seduMkbNy: Permission denied.
The ownership (or permission bits) for your makefiles/cmake directory is incorrect.

You can either
1. Use root (sudo sed ...) # this is badness.
2. Extract the tar.gz file using the user you're going to use to build the project
3. Use chown -R user.group * (to change the user and group in the whole build tree)
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Camera board”