momentum

Re: Flashing band across video (solved)

Sat May 18, 2013 11:41 pm

I had the purple lines. Swapped out my super long 5m power cable for a 1m. The lines are now gone.

simplesi

Re: Flashing band across video

Sat May 18, 2013 11:48 pm

I had the flashing and swapped camera to another RPI - same SD card /PSU but everthign else different and no flashing

Don't know what it was Rpi/Wifi dongle/case/loose connection????

Both RPi early 256Mb Model Bs

Just passing it on for info

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

kaos

Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 am

I had the flashing and swapped camera to another RPI - same SD card /PSU but everthign else different and no flashing

Don't know what it was Rpi/
Possibly. Did both of them have C2 (the capacitor near the micro-usb connector) intact?
Wifi dongle/
That's actually a very interesting possibility that hadn't occurred to me before. If you feel like experimenting, you might try swapping them around and see if the interference follows a specific wifi adapter. And if it does, it would be interesting to see if the interference can be eliminated by placing the wifi dongle on a usb extension and locating it some distance from the raspi and camera.
case/
Unlikely, unless one of the cases is made of metal or is metalized.
loose connection????
Always a possibility.

--
Kári

joshftx

Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm

So, I had been using a usb cable and various USB chargers to test, like an iphone charger and the charger from my Nexus 7. All of those consistently gave me the video bands. Finally I actually switched to a Motorola charger which did not have a separate cable- it plugged directly into the wall and had an integrated cable with USB on the end. I think ts 850MA. No video banding!

gusgriller

Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Could someone who has experienced this banding have a quick look at this video and see whether it's likely to be the power supply that is causing it?

http://youtu.be/l4-pjrGo8c0

(Sorry about the upside down :oops: )

jbeale

Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm

gusgriller wrote:Could someone who has experienced this banding have a quick look at this video and see whether it's likely to be the power supply that is causing it? http://youtu.be/l4-pjrGo8c0
Beautiful image apart from the flicker and the upside-down :-). I haven't had the banding myself, but your flicker does suggest a power supply issue to me (either low voltage, and/or RF or AC interference). The signals on the flex cable are all digital so shielding that might not help. The interference is most likely within the camera module itself, from noise on the power rail and/or low voltage levels bringing the regulators near dropout.

gusgriller

Sat May 25, 2013 11:13 am

I tried with a 2A rated power supply this morning, and it still gave the same result.
The Pi and camera are well away from other power and devices, so I'm a bit bemused. Unless it's got something to do with the wireless dongle...

gusgriller

Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Update: New power supply solved the problem.

ppumkin

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:05 pm

It seemed to work fine for a while... and tonight during dusk.. Look at this.. OMG :o

http://i.imgur.com/0htEV7k.png?1

ant_thomas

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I'd just like to add that after suffering from the same banding issues with videos and not stills I ended up in this thread.

I was using a good Asus 5V 2A power supply that required a separate USB cable. This gave the banding issue.

I've now moved to a generic 5V 1A charger with an integrated cable which has removed the banding.

As ever..... it's the power supply that is causing issues! The Asus 5V 2A power supply has been flawless for everything else with the RPi, it must just be slightly too noisey, or the cable isn't good enough, for camera board use.

Heater

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 am

I'm not sure if this is related or been noted elsewhere in the forum but I have seen banding in still images.

Very subtle changes in colour in horizontal bands across the width of the still. Subtle enough that I did not notice them until I loaded an image to Gimp and started tweaking the colour balance and other effects.

These bands have very well defined edges, not at all fuzzy like the image presented above.

I'll try and post an example image later.

threecee

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:39 pm

i've found that i needed a more powerful power supply (using an Apple 2A wall adapter) as well as a better (shorter?) USB cable. now i don't have any banding issues.

i'm using the camera board and streaming video on wifi using a usb wifi adapter. i've gotten good results streaming 960x540 @ 24 fps. higher resolutions causes frames to be dropped, i believe, due to bandwidth limitations on wifi.

FiddlerJones

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:52 pm

I had that problem too.

I cut off the Linear Drop Out on the board and replaced it with a switching regulator, feeding the raspberry only with 3.3V (combining the 5V and 3.3V).
At first I used the micro usb port to supply the current, and I had those band both on videos and photos. Swapping the micro usb cable couldn't solve the problem. So I tried feeding the 3.3V to the test points (TP1 and TP2) and the band were gone!

Note that powering the Raspberry Pi via TP1 and TP2 (or any way it isn't micro usb), bypasses the polyfuse, so do it only if you are sure not to exceed 6V and 700mA!

Winnie123

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:24 am

Hi, I am getting similar noise across the video with my old "R-Pi Rev B" and two new "Pi-Cameras" and eliminated other causes but power supply problem. After reading this discussion, I have been trying with different USB cabls and chargers and the combinations. Only 1 specific charger, that has integrated power cord (not using detachable USB cable, gives good video with no noise. But this specific charger can only give 500mA and therefore, the system is not stable and crashes easily. I also bought the same power supply sold on Element 14, but it was the worst among all my cables and chargers.

If this is such a basic problem with interfering from USB cables and chargers, I guess there will always be newbies like me posting similar problem after buying a bundle from R-Pi distributors... But I can only find 2 threads at this forum.. That leads me to wonder if this problem is worst in Rev B but not in Rev B+ any more?

Before I go to buy yet another so called "high quality", more expensive cable, I started to wonder if I should simply replace my R-Pi "Rev B" with Rev B+. I understand that Rev B has linear regulator and Rev B+ has swtiching regulator, and perhas Rev B+ has better noise filtering circuits?

What is your revision and do you get this kind of hassle with Pi Camera?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:43 am

Winnie123 wrote:Hi, I am getting similar noise across the video with my old "R-Pi Rev B" and two new "Pi-Cameras" and eliminated other causes but power supply problem. After reading this discussion, I have been trying with different USB cabls and chargers and the combinations. Only 1 specific charger, that has integrated power cord (not using detachable USB cable, gives good video with no noise. But this specific charger can only give 500mA and therefore, the system is not stable and crashes easily. I also bought the same power supply sold on Element 14, but it was the worst among all my cables and chargers.

If this is such a basic problem with interfering from USB cables and chargers, I guess there will always be newbies like me posting similar problem after buying a bundle from R-Pi distributors... But I can only find 2 threads at this forum.. That leads me to wonder if this problem is worst in Rev B but not in Rev B+ any more?

Before I go to buy yet another so called "high quality", more expensive cable, I started to wonder if I should simply replace my R-Pi "Rev B" with Rev B+. I understand that Rev B has linear regulator and Rev B+ has swtiching regulator, and perhas Rev B+ has better noise filtering circuits?

You do realise the previous responder has not posted for over a year and the one before nearly two years ?

IMO buy a PSU what does not use a USB Cable, like the recommended RPF one which is suitable for all RPi's:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/un ... er-supply/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Winnie123

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:20 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Winnie123 wrote:Hi, I am getting similar noise across the video with my old "R-Pi Rev B" and two new "Pi-Cameras" and eliminated other causes but power supply problem. After reading this discussion, I have been trying with different USB cabls and chargers and the combinations. Only 1 specific charger, that has integrated power cord (not using detachable USB cable, gives good video with no noise. But this specific charger can only give 500mA and therefore, the system is not stable and crashes easily. I also bought the same power supply sold on Element 14, but it was the worst among all my cables and chargers.

You do realise the previous responder has not posted for over a year and the one before nearly two years ?

IMO buy a PSU what does not use a USB Cable, like the recommended RPF one which is suitable for all RPi's:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/un ... er-supply/
Yes, I have tested a PSU that does not use a USB cable, but it gives the worst noise...
It's made by STONTRONICS Part No: T5584DV. http://uk.farnell.com/stontronics/t5584 ... st=T5584DV.
RPi's official PSU is also made by STONTRONICS Part No. T5454DV.

When I bought my board and PSU, I didn't think there could be difference except that one has the official logo on the PSU. But looks like there could still be big differences, perhaps testing is more thorough, who knows.
But what could be the physicis behind this problem since there is no USB cable at all?

Redsandro

Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm

towolf wrote:
Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 am
I got heavy colored banding.
I can't quote your picture, but I have exactly this.
vlcsnap-2019-05-21-21h46m18s2532.jpg
vlcsnap-2019-05-21-21h46m18s2532.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 194 times
vlcsnap-2019-05-21-21h46m36s2862.jpg
vlcsnap-2019-05-21-21h46m36s2862.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 194 times
vlcsnap-2019-05-21-21h46m41s8792.jpg
vlcsnap-2019-05-21-21h46m41s8792.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 194 times
Some light-brown horizontal banding flicker. However, when I just turned on the camera, it's almost brand new. After 8 hours or so, the amount of banding is getting worse. For some time it's bearable, but there comes a point when there is more noise than actual picture.

Turn the Pi off for a day to let it cool down, and the next day it will work fine again. For 8 hours.

I am using a buck converter and a 12v PSU. I hypothesize this is related to something else. The PSU can supply the voltage with ease. I hardly think it gets "tired" after 8 hours.

Did anyone find out anything else related to this problem?

I know this topic is old, but I just grabbed my 5 year old stuff from the geek box to record some cats being cats. Google brought me here. Raspberry 1. First camera module.

Return to “Camera board”