Page 1 of 1

Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am
by kevpartner
I thought other members of the community would like to know of a couple of errors in the otherwise excellent installation guide from Element14 (http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... -pi-camera).

Firstly, on page 6, it should be

Code: Select all

sudo vi /boot/config.txt

(in the original, it was sudo vi /boot.config.txt)

Secondly, the command on the final page to take a still has changed from:

Code: Select all

/opt/vc/bin/raspicam –o file.jpg
to

Code: Select all

/opt/vc/bin/raspistill –o file.jpg
Had me stumped for a while. The software installation is a loooong process - hopefully it'll be built into a future Raspbian distribution

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm
by CPC.co.uk
We've got an updated (correct) version of the guide :)

Click here for download page :)

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:48 pm
by fbutler
CPC.co.uk wrote:We've got an updated (correct) version of the guide :)

Click here for download page :)
Just a thought. Your guide assumes that people are going to install from scratch rather than starting with an existing image. For those that are not installing a fresh image it might be worth stressing that the Pi should be shut down and powered off before connecting the camera. :-)

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm
by CPC.co.uk
fbutler wrote:Just a thought. Your guide assumes that people are going to install from scratch rather than starting with an existing image. For those that are not installing a fresh image it might be worth stressing that the Pi should be shut down and powered off before connecting the camera. :-)
We'll feed that back the Technical Department, thanks :)

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:15 pm
by CPC.co.uk
Just to follow up on the previous post, we'll be updating the Guide with those changes suggested in place - It'll be changed from tomorrow (Friday 17th May 2013)

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 pm
by piglet
Excellent customer interaction by CPC. Thank you.

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:34 pm
by CPC.co.uk
piglet wrote:Excellent customer interaction by CPC. Thank you.
Pleasure :)

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:29 am
by kevpartner
The one here: http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... -pi-camera is still wrong

That's the one that's linked to on the Element14 product info page and the paperwork that comes with the camera module if you buy from them.

Re: Errors in the Element14 "unofficial camera setup guide"

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 am
by tvjon
kevpartner wrote:I thought other members of the community would like to know of a couple of errors in the otherwise excellent installation guide from Element14 (http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... -pi-camera).
...

Secondly, the command on the final page to take a still has changed from:

Code: Select all

/opt/vc/bin/raspicam –o file.jpg
to
....
Actually, I imagine that was correct when written. I've recompiled some of the source from github to see if a suggested fix worked to a supplied argument to raspistill causing a seg' fault, & the resulting built file is called raspicam. The name can be changed of course.

So, I suppose it depends on what parts of the source you pick currently, until the camera code is fully finished.