alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to reset the camera?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am

heatfanjohn wrote:
Gert van Loo wrote:
Would that be different for Rev 1 and Rev 2 Pis Gert, since 27 is now on the P1 header?
Could be, I used the rev-1 schematic.
I have not checked rev2.
I really need to start reading things more carefully!

;-)
LOL. Yep. Rev 1 GPIO 21 became GPIO 27 on rev 2. Looks like it was a straight swap, so on a rev 2 board the reset port should be 21 as you surmised. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

4DallasC

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 am

Did anyone figure out how to do this via the console or even better through the MMAL interface?

Once my program has crashed, the camera locks up and I can't free it. The next call to mmal_component_create(MMAL_COMPONENT_DEFAULT_CAMERA, &camera);
blocks and I can't do anything but reboot.

Cheers,
Dallas
Ekky Software

puddle247

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:26 am

Thank goodness that someone else has a similar problem. I cannot find an answer even though I've tried all I know (not a lot). If I try to use raspistill or raspivid I get this response. mml: mmal_component_create: failed to create 'uc.rll.camera.in four varieties and finally mml: camera is not detected.. It worked until it froze, which, I believe caused my SDHC to fall over in a dramatic way. I only got Raspi back by a totally new installation.......and this is what I got from raspivid. Camera is installed properly as far as I can tell. Without a successful video or still the red light doesn't come on. Help required please. Could this be a trojan attack???, we have no virus software for RPi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am

Nothing to do with viruses or trojans. It's simply not detecting the camera. Either a bad connection, or bad power supply, or a defective camera module, or a defective interface on the Raspi.

Not sure how it trashed the SD card, but that may be a power problem causing SD card corruption. What is your power supply output?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

heatfanjohn

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:15 pm

alexeames wrote:
LOL. Yep. Rev 1 GPIO 21 became GPIO 27 on rev 2. Looks like it was a straight swap, so on a rev 2 board the reset port should be 21 as you surmised. :lol:
FYI, the camera hanging is still an issue for me. I worked around the problem when using raspistill by wrapping the call to raspistill in a semaphore that only allows one call to raspistill at a time.

However, I'm now trying to stream video using the camera, and interrupting a "raspivid -t 999999" call using CTRL-C leaves the camera in a "hung" state. LED on and all further calls to raspivid hang. I have also found that trying to reboot the PI using "init 6" just hangs after displaying "The system will now restart".

jamesh

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 pm

heatfanjohn wrote:
alexeames wrote:
FYI, the camera hanging is still an issue for me. I worked around the problem when using raspistill by wrapping the call to raspistill in a semaphore that only allows one call to raspistill at a time.

However, I'm now trying to stream video using the camera, and interrupting a "raspivid -t 999999" call using CTRL-C leaves the camera in a "hung" state. LED on and all further calls to raspivid hang. I have also found that trying to reboot the PI using "init 6" just hangs after displaying "The system will now restart".
Hmm, that should work fine. I use ctrl-c all the time. Are you at the root console, or running through an X GUI of some description?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

heatfanjohn

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:52 pm

I was using SSH at the time. I'll see if doing this from the console makes any difference.

heatfanjohn

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 am

I can't seem to recreate the "hung camera" issue that I initially encountered when I interrupted raspivid -t 99999 using CTRL-c.

I will continue to monitor the problem.

If I should get another occurrence, is there a way to force some form of memory dump to see what is hung up?

none

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:22 pm

raspistill V1.2 is the current version (I just rpi-updated).

If it's run simultaneously, the folliwing error message is given:

Code: Select all

mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates
Running raspistill afterwards causes it to hang. The LED stays on.

It seems it is not yet testing whether its resources really are available? Why does it not fail? Why is initialization not able to reset the camera?

mpeter

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi,

I've been having a similar issue with the Pi Cam and I've tried everything but nothing seems to be working.

When I connect the Pi Cam and run the command

sudo raspistill -o filename.jpg

The camera light turns on and nothing else happens. I get no error message and no camera preview window.

Nothing changes and the only way to cancel out of it would be to reboot the RPi.

I believe I have all the updated files and firmware needed.

If someone could help out with this issue I'd appreciate it.

I'm beginner and I'm lost.

Thanks

jamesh

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:05 pm

You shoudn't need sudo, and to get some idea of where its failing, turn on logging.

raspistill -v -o test.jpg

and post the results here.

g7ruh

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi mpeter

I have had several issues with the camera not working or not being detected as you describe. All these issues seem to be fixed by:

a) making sure that the flex cable is connected at both ends. It is easy to move it slightly during use / reassembly in the case so as to disconnect part of it. I found this, re-seating the cable and carefully reclamping it with the cable holder on the socket let the camera work normally.

b) I found (on several occasions) that the soldered ends of the flex cable have become displaced and may either short the adjacent one or not connect the correct wire inside the socket. Careful inspection and gentle adjusting with a finger nail or small screwdriver to straighten alignment has cured the problem (taking care of a) above when reconnecting).

c) worst case, I had a flex cable arrive from the supplier which seems to be bent and broken, using a cable from another camera proved the camera was OK (phew) as it was my new Pi Noir!

hope this may help you
Roger

mpeter

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 pm

jamesh,

Here is the information I got from logging.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ raspistill -v -o test.jpeg

raspistill Camera App v1.3.5

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test.jpeg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No
Capture method : Single capture

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file test.jpeg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 0
It just remains at starting capture.

mpeter

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi Roger,

I did try to reconnect all connection points but I am still have the same issues happening. I might look into ordering new cables. Thanks!

mpeter

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi guys,

Did anybody figure out if this is a software issue yet? Or is it likely a connection problem?

Thanks!

jamesh

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 pm

It's extremely unlikely to be a software problem. There are a lot of cameras out there that work fine with the same software (always assuming you are up to date).

So it's either connection, power, or bad HW somewhere.

mpeter

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi guys,

So I went through a bunch of steps to troubleshoot which part of the hardware was malfunctioning.

First I checked to see the voltage between the test points and it seemed to be lower than 4.8V (I was getting about 4.3V), so I changed my power output and got about a 4.9V but that still didn't change or resolve the issues that I was having.

Then I changed the flex cable for the camera. When I did this, my pi completely shorted out (no damage was done, phew!). This made me realize that the camera was definitely defected.

I bought a new camera, and it works perfectly now :)

If you have similar issues, I would definitely try a new camera!

jamesh

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 pm

mpeter wrote:Hi guys,

So I went through a bunch of steps to troubleshoot which part of the hardware was malfunctioning.

First I checked to see the voltage between the test points and it seemed to be lower than 4.8V (I was getting about 4.3V), so I changed my power output and got about a 4.9V but that still didn't change or resolve the issues that I was having.

Then I changed the flex cable for the camera. When I did this, my pi completely shorted out (no damage was done, phew!). This made me realize that the camera was definitely defected.

I bought a new camera, and it works perfectly now :)

If you have similar issues, I would definitely try a new camera!
Did you get a refund from RS/Farnell?

Return to “Camera board”