jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera Module Project Ideas

Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 pm

The problem with adding something on the Arm is that the bandwidth is insufficient to get frames to and from the GPU before the encoder. It needs to be done in a software stage in the ISP itself. I've done something similar before for debugging purposes, but will need to be a little more robust and need to add appropriate MMAL commands to set the text etc which was not needed before.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

hayderOICO

Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm working on building a low cost retinal camera for use by ophthalmologists in the developing world, using the raspberry pi and camera with OpenCV + Python to write the software side...

Right now, retinal cameras cost £8000+ ... we're planning on building a better one for more like £2000 all in.

jbeale

Thu May 16, 2013 7:05 pm

scorp wrote:I will try to make car recorder based on time-lapse but need wider lens and some control(start-stop)
You can get accessory wide-angle lens converters designed for cell phone cameras, even 180 degree fisheye lenses:
http://www.amazon.com/180%C2%B0Fisheye- ... _sim_cps_3

I think start-stop control should be fairly simple to program (one crude way to stop is simply kill the recording process).

scorp

Thu May 16, 2013 7:45 pm

jbeale wrote: You can get accessory wide-angle lens converters designed for cell phone cameras, even 180 degree fisheye lenses:
http://www.amazon.com/180%C2%B0Fisheye- ... _sim_cps_3

I think start-stop control should be fairly simple to program (one crude way to stop is simply kill the recording process).
That is very useful, many thanks.

rollingcircle

Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 pm

jamesh wrote:The problem with adding something on the Arm is that the bandwidth is insufficient to get frames to and from the GPU before the encoder. It needs to be done in a software stage in the ISP itself. I've done something similar before for debugging purposes, but will need to be a little more robust and need to add appropriate MMAL commands to set the text etc which was not needed before.
Ah! - thanks for the clarification. Like some of the others on the thread, I'd like to be able to fetch some data out of inertial sensors on the I2C bus and overlay it onto the video - for the time being, it looks like post-processing is the way to go.

Regardless, congratulations to all the team for getting the camera module out into the wild - much appreciated.

jbeale

Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm looking forward to getting my camera next week. When you do get around to adding it to the GPU software, it will be nice to have the option for a text overlay of a user-supplied string. Having that kind of feature available, controlled by user software, would be another real advantage of an R-Pi camera, over a simple non-programmable video device.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 am

I made a standalone Pi Camcorder yesterday. Will be blogging about it today. Video is already made, but not yet public. I'll take it to the CamJam tomorrow. :D It doesn't yet have a screen, but hopefully there's ways round that.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

qzroadqqx

Fri May 17, 2013 8:15 am

I guess my project idea may be simple but it will be a complex projet ;) .
I want to take pictures or video of a tiny flower automaticly when is pollinated by an insect :ugeek: .
This seems simple with a motion detection app, the problem becomes greater when the plant is in the wild and the wind moves it. :evil:
Simplifying the problem and assuming that the wind only moves the flower in a plane parallel to the sensor (the flower shape remains almost constant :P ),
Are there a set of programs or libraries that can record the moving flower on the images (cross correlation, SIFT, surf, etc.)?. When the correlation is performed then calculate a change on the ROI, the flower region, I suppose will be an easy task.
To make things easier not need real-time computing, simply perform the 2 images correlation every 5 seconds.

Help!

Grid

Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 am

Things get very interesting if you consider combining more than one camera-enabled Pi into a system:

- 3D video by recording to two Pis at the same time. At $100 it gets the title of the cheapest 1080p-3D camera on the market.
- bullet time photography / video (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_time). At $50 for each video point (you probably need more than 10) I would say bullet time just got affordable.
- 360 camera. You need 6 sensors and some lens&software trickery. Again, at $300 this could form the cheapest 30megapixel (6x5Mpix) 360 degree camera on the market.

For all of the above the shared challenge is synchronisation, control, and video/image gathering over multiple Pis. Not too far fetched though, definitely achievable by the community.
Fix instead of throwing away. Save the planet one gadget at a time.

meltwater

Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 am

alexeames wrote:I made a standalone Pi Camcorder yesterday. Will be blogging about it today. Video is already made, but not yet public. I'll take it to the CamJam tomorrow. :D It doesn't yet have a screen, but hopefully there's ways round that.
Look forward to it.

Unfortunately I've not time this week to blog it, but having a play with it anyway (and taking notes).

So far the raspi___ tools for using it have been excellent, many thanks for the work that has gone into them, particularly in the efforts made to make them as flexible as possible.

Anyone have any tips for converting timelapse jpegs into video using the hardware encoder?
Is the hardware encoder usable in Raspbian now or is additional code required to use it (aka hello_pi\hello_encode style - if so I'll continue looking at it, but obviously want to avoid if it isn't required now).
Example 100 frame timelapse encoded using the settings covered in the sparkfun guide: http://designspark.com/blog/time-lapse- ... -pi-camera

Code: Select all

ls *.jpg > stills.txt
mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:aspect=16/9:vbitrate=8000000 -vf scale=1920:1080 -o tlcam.avi -mf type=jpeg:fps=24 mf://@stills.txt
Takes 7m28 to produce 4.15Mb and 4 seconds of video.

>>Flower project. That sounds interesting, would be excellent to get a high-speed burst of frames while the insect is there.
>>Bullet time. Have you seen the videos of the bullet time images taken of a swan flying (i think), was incredible. That would be a good project for a RaspberryJam somewhere (making the cost of hardware zero as people bring it together to do it).

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Ravenous

Fri May 17, 2013 8:59 am

Grid wrote:bullet time photography / video (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_time). At $50 for each video point (you probably need more than 10) I would say bullet time just got affordable.
mogabe wrote:My intention is to build a sports coaching tool which is basically delaying the video feed 30 seconds or so. And thus giving you instant feedback on your technique.
Hmm, combining these two to produce sweeping slow motion shots of, say, cricket/baseball strokes, tennis serves or any other on-the-spot sporting technique might be interesting... I bet the sports TV people would be interested...

mikerr

Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am

mogabe wrote:My intention is to build a sports coaching tool which is basically delaying the video feed 30 seconds or so. And thus giving you instant feedback on your technique.
Just streaming over wifi already gives around a 3 second video delay for me :lol:
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

cabe

Sat May 18, 2013 12:31 am

Grid wrote:For all of the above the shared challenge is synchronisation, control, and video/image gathering over multiple Pis. Not too far fetched though, definitely achievable by the community.
My first thought would be to use a "virtual" clapper slate in the form of a beep sent at the beginning of the recording, line up the beeps in your editor and away you go. Downside is each node would need a USB soundcard.

padmanabhannec

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:52 am

Hi
I will be interested to know more about your work on low cost retinal camera. Can you please provide more information and your contact mail id.

S.Padmanabhan
Aravind Eye Care System, India.
hayderOICO wrote:I'm working on building a low cost retinal camera for use by ophthalmologists in the developing world, using the raspberry pi and camera with OpenCV + Python to write the software side...

Right now, retinal cameras cost £8000+ ... we're planning on building a better one for more like £2000 all in.

TXBDan

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Cool ideas, all.

My first project is just a FPV realtime video stream for my Pi powered hexapod robot. I've read that using gstreamer can be pretty lag free. My camera should arrive soon so I can't wait to try it out. You can see my robot project at www.projectsofdan.com

My second project will be a digital dashboard/data logger like what testy described. I do a lot of autox and track days so it'll be a lot of fun to see how it works. I'll probably run an OBDII interface as well.

My biggest question/concern is if the Pi has enough grunt and/or hardware accessibility to do things like an OpenCV HUD overlay in realtime. I'm clear on how efficient OpenCV is with this camera at the moment.
www.projectsofdan.com

ayberkoktay

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:32 am

How is that retinal camera progressing? do you run a blog or something?

hayderOICO wrote:I'm working on building a low cost retinal camera for use by ophthalmologists in the developing world, using the raspberry pi and camera with OpenCV + Python to write the software side...

RexRoper

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:18 pm

jbeale wrote:I'm looking forward to getting my camera next week. When you do get around to adding it to the GPU software, it will be nice to have the option for a text overlay of a user-supplied string. Having that kind of feature available, controlled by user software, would be another real advantage of an R-Pi camera, over a simple non-programmable video device.
I do have a desire to insert strings of text into the video from the Pi Cam. I successfully built the HD Surveillance Camera project and the newer motion project that allows controlling the camera from a web browser which works great on my Win8 Phone :) My intent is to gather text strings from a 40 column printer (like a sales receipt printer) and insert the string into the video recording.

It would be beneficial to see the information from the printer while playback of the video. I also would like stop (freeze frame), reverse, fast reverse, and fast forward viewing features that can be found in commercial Digital Video Recording (DVR) systems. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or help me develop a DVR equivalent with text insertion on the RPi platform.

I am a good learner and hope someone will find the interest in my project and assist me with effort.

I look forward to any input regarding this DVR/Text Inserter project

6by9

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Both James and I have half intentions to do a text/video inserter in the video encode pipe. Doing it as a MMAL component would be my approach (mainly as that is the area I know best), and probably merging in a user supplied image buffer over the video encode feed. As with so many things, it just needs some time to actually do it.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RexRoper

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:32 pm

My programming skills are not that great, my last serious coding was in the 1980's with my Sinclair home computer. But I can still learn. If you and/or James can offer suggestions I am very willing to pick up some slack and learn what is required in order to get such a project off the ground in order to achieve this functionality.

I have been reading up on the Motion software application and trying to gain an understanding of where to start. My lack of professional training in code writing does cause me considerable frustration... I want to learn more.

Can you offer some insight as to the skill set I need for developing MMAL components?

I am very thankful for your reply.

RexRoper

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 am

I have begun my search and immediately found My Project, which looks like a good reference site for MMAL. I will continue my quest, but I will always accept any additional input.

I look forward to your replies.

6by9

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:29 am

RexRoper wrote:Can you offer some insight as to the skill set I need for developing MMAL components?
They're almost all done in C. There were some ARM side components developed, but I'm not sure if they were ever released (looking in interface/mmal of the userland repo, it doesn't look like they were).

However to be able to do this efficiently on the GPU (needed for 30fps video encode) the requirements are also that you are either a Broadcom (or possibly Raspberry Pi Foundation) employee who therefore has access to the GPU source code and development tools. That is why it probably falls to JamesH or I to do. Thanks for the offer of help though.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RexRoper

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 pm

I agree with the efficiency comment, 30fps is the desired rate for video monitoring and the GPU seems to be the logical place to process code in order to obtain a composite image that includes a text overlay. I have only recently begun learning Python, so I think my C programming skills are a bit further down the road.

My initial idea is to use an Xbee device to grab data from the serial port on a printer and send it to the RPi to be embedded into the video stream. This type of wireless solution would allow a retrofit to existing cash registers and point of sale terminals to allow for cashier monitoring which would include receipt data in the video.

On the playback side I think it is important to have standard video playback functions like reverse and fast forward. It seems to me that this might be a bit easier task for me to attempt since if basically involves playback of existing files, instead of creation of composite images at the GPU level. Do you know if these standard DVR features are already developed for video captured on the RPi?

As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Camera board”