meltwater

Camera Module Project Ideas

Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 am

Just wondering what things people have in mind for using the Camera Module. I imagine that there will be common features and tools which people will be wanting in order to create their specific project, plus may want to know how suitable it is for a specific purpose.

Here are some so far:
1. IP Webcam - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=43641 / http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=43698

2. Slow motion shots - Using higher framerate shots, perhaps with GPIO based triggers.

3. Macro photography - Perhaps applying the stacking methods used http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3068

4. Astro-photography - Lots are keen on this, but the lens and IR filter may be an issue. - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=42498

5. Stop-motion animation - Would love to see this, particularly at full 5MP level. Would be a great project to get suitable software working (if there isn't something already available) for image overlaying and pre-view of shots etc, as well as stitching sequences together and hardware encoding. Can imagine some nice control implementations using the GPIO too.

6. Time-lapse - Should be a fairly good starter project really.

7. Pi2Pi Video Link.

Feel free to add some more.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Maxion

Re: Camera Module Project Ideas

Wed May 15, 2013 10:13 am

I'm planning on two timelapse projects.

One just for fun and in combination with my automatic watering system project. It'll take a timelapse of some tomato plants that'll be growing on my balcony over the summer. Should be quite fun to see them grow!

The second one is a bit more ambitious, I'll use the camera to either create a timelapse or stream live-video from an island in the finnish archipelago. I'm trying to create a year-long timelapse. Currently the gear is in place but inside a cabin, once I get the necessary parts it'll be moved outside in it's own little plastic box. This project is a bit more complex as it involves power management, GSM connectivity and making sure everything will work in +30c and -30c.

mikerr

Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 am

Maxion wrote: making sure everything will work in +30c and -30c.
The Pi works down to -100C :
:shock:
Freezing a Pi in liquid nitrogen
http://linkxs.org/freezing-a-raspberry- ... -nitrogen/
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

meltwater

Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 am

Maxion wrote:I'm planning on two timelapse projects.

One just for fun and in combination with my automatic watering system project. It'll take a timelapse of some tomato plants that'll be growing on my balcony over the summer. Should be quite fun to see them grow!

The second one is a bit more ambitious, I'll use the camera to either create a timelapse or stream live-video from an island in the finnish archipelago. I'm trying to create a year-long timelapse. Currently the gear is in place but inside a cabin, once I get the necessary parts it'll be moved outside in it's own little plastic box. This project is a bit more complex as it involves power management, GSM connectivity and making sure everything will work in +30c and -30c.
Great projects, hope to see the results!

Yep, I think I'll have a go at a clouds time-lapse at some point - they always look nice (well perhaps not a grey English day).

Freezing Pi, now that is mean. Not sure how cold the Pi in the balloon got (and that had the camera too), but it was batteries which suffered more to the cold.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 pm

meltwater wrote:6. Time-lapse - Should be a fairly good starter project really..

Yup - that's my first on the list............
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

mogabe

Wed May 15, 2013 2:02 pm

My intention is to build a sports coaching tool which is basically delaying the video feed 30 seconds or so. And thus giving you instant feedback on your technique.

jbeale

Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Just FYI, for macro and stop-motion animation, you will probably want to scrape off the epoxy on the lens threads so you can unscrew it a little bit and manually focus the lens closer. As-is, I believe it is fixed-focus somewhere beyond 2 m away, and closer things get blurry.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 2:47 pm

texy wrote:
meltwater wrote:6. Time-lapse - Should be a fairly good starter project really..

Texy
raspistill -o timelapse%04d.jpg -t 1000000-tl 5000

takes a picture every 5s for 1000 seconds, named timelapse0001.jpg onwards

Not that much of a project....!!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

meltwater

Wed May 15, 2013 2:50 pm

jamesh wrote:
texy wrote:

Texy

Well we all have to start somewhere....
But will take note of the command, cheers. :D

Can we send those jpg files to the hardware encoder to make a video yet? (links somewhat to the stop-frame animation project)

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2013 3:04 pm

I think there is a thread on using the HW encoder somewhere on here. Should be possible to adapt the code to work with these sorts of image

Alternatively,

raspivid -t 1000000 -fps 2 -o fastmo.h264

OK, it's 2fps, which is a sort of timelapse...I've not got it to go below 2fps yet - need to find out why it doesn't work like it should.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 3:07 pm

jamesh wrote:
texy wrote:

Texy

I'm doing a little more than that ;-/
It'll be a motorised platform. Therefore I will not be using the timelapse function, but individual still commands.
So there....lol
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

meltwater

Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Yep I think I found that one (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&start=25), was attempting to decipher it last night. Keen to put the GPU to work, gets a bit of free ride at the moment.

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

texy wrote:
jamesh wrote:
texy wrote:

Texy

I'm doing a little more than that ;-/
It'll be a motorised platform. Therefore I will not be using the timelapse function, but individual still commands.
So there....lol
Texy
Smartypants.

Actually, individual commands uses a lot less power. My results (from my bench power supply) show the camera takes about 200mA in preview, about 280 when encoding. Since the camera is running while the app is running, shutting down the app between shots actually saves quite a bit of power.

Ravenous

Wed May 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Visual odometry. i.e. it should in theory be possible to build a small (real small) robot from just a raspi, battery+regulator, two small geared motors (without encoders) and one camera. Optical flow or similar would give the direction of travel, though not absolute velocity as far as I can tell. (It would with two cameras but that's been done I should think.)

If workable, the advantage is that one camera is probably cheaper than the encoders, collision sensors, and other gubbins that most robot navigation things need. Trouble is I would need a brain transplant to get anywhere developing the software... :(

bigwest

Wed May 15, 2013 5:11 pm

I was going to try and make a blackbox recorder for a car that records your journey. Possibly with a GPS device to show speed / position overlayed on the video.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm

jamesh wrote: I'm doing a little more than that ;-/
So there....lol
Texy

Smartypants.

Actually, individual commands uses a lot less power. My results (from my bench power supply) show the camera takes about 200mA in preview, about 280 when encoding. Since the camera is running while the app is running, shutting down the app between shots actually saves quite a bit of power.
[/quote]
That'll be useful, as this will be battery powered. I,m giving the timelapse video a go, a la Dave Hunt.

Currently my problem is get nc to install for network streaming - package not found?!?

Texy

DevonPaul

Wed May 15, 2013 7:42 pm

bigwest wrote:I was going to try and make a blackbox recorder for a car that records your journey. Possibly with a GPS device to show speed / position overlayed on the video.
That is the project I was searching for.

Pi, camera, USB drive enclosure, regulated power from the vehicle cigar lighter, simple enclosure. Plug in and go. Possibly use GPIO for triggering delete of unwanted previous recording.

I don't care if it does not look pretty. I just want function.

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Off the top of my head, I'd record the last minute of video to a circular RAM buffer, and if a button was pressed or an accelerometer reads a big change dump the last 30s to SD card, and keep recording for the next 30 seconds, then dump that as well - before and after video of any incident. Circular buffer would need some sensible handling to ensure the stream was correct, and you might want battery backup in case power goes down in the 'incident'.

I'm going to look in to superimposing some sort of text over top of any recorded stream, so that could include GPS and time information.

If nothing else I bet you get some "You've Been Framed" footage.

festy

Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 am

I use my r-pi as a datalogger/digital dash/telemetry system:

My camera turned up an hour or two ago, so I started working on a basic telemetry overlay.
(the data is from a previous log, but you get the idea of what I'm working towards)
http://youtu.be/iSj_P_VEoDk

I'm not sure how I'm going to sync the data to the video, maybe to start with I'll just have a GPIO triggered led visible in the frame and manually sync the data to the video by matching up the pulse event...

mikerr

Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 am

festy wrote: I'm not sure how I'm going to sync the data to the video, maybe to start with I'll just have a GPIO triggered led visible in the frame and manually sync the data to the video by matching up the pulse event...
You could record the data as a subtitle (.srt) which contains timecode info by default, and there are plenty of tools for dealing with them.
Format here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip
Last edited by mikerr on Thu May 16, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jamesh

Thu May 16, 2013 8:31 am

I'm going to look in to a SW stage on the ISP pipeline to add text information to the recording. I think that would be very useful for data logging and the like. Not going to be right away though.

jkflying

Thu May 16, 2013 1:01 pm

I was thinking of some sort of line following robot using the camera. Does anybody know the maximum speed that raspistill can run with a fairly low-res image? I'm thinking 320x240 or so. If it is too slow I'll have to try to pipe the video stream and grab frames out of that, which would be much more cumbersome.

cabe

Thu May 16, 2013 1:51 pm

bigwest wrote:I was going to try and make a blackbox recorder for a car that records your journey. Possibly with a GPS device to show speed / position overlayed on the video.
This is my end game too, although I also have a 6DOF IMU to add into the mix.

Mikerr's suggestion of using a subtitle file is really rather elegant, as it will ensure a "clean feed" record of camera and still sync to the footage when played back in something like VLC.

rollingcircle

Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

jamesh wrote:I'm going to look in to a SW stage on the ISP pipeline to add text information to the recording. I think that would be very useful for data logging and the like. Not going to be right away though.
Camera delivered this morning - very impressed! - and started looking through the raspicam and MMAL sources with the same idea - would the general approach be to build a custom MMAL component to merge the overlay data into the video frame, and insert it between the camera component and the encoder component...or am I barking up the wrong tree (or just barking!)

scorp

Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I will try to make car recorder based on time-lapse but need wider lens and some control(start-stop)

Return to “Camera board”