JeromeV

Re: Alternatives or replacements for camera flex cable?

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Has anyone tried bitwizard's kit with a pibow case ?
Does the pi side board and cable fit in the case ?

dkossman

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:31 pm

perhaps this is a dumb question, but i'll ask anyway - the kit contents for the bitwizard extender, according to their web site:
  • - 2 FPC to 2x8pin header adapter boards
    - 2 16-way IDC connectors
    - 1 15cm opposite-side contacts FPC cable
why not just use a long FPC cable? is there some technical reason to have short FPC - long Ribbon - short FPC? or are long FPC cables just not available? Or is it because the FPC cables are particularly inflexible compared to ribbon cables?

thanks

Burngate

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:36 am

You can buy ribbon cable almost as long as you like - 50m on a drum, though the signal might not crawl that far - and it's easy to cut the length you want and put connectors on.

Using FPC ribbon, dressing the ends could be problematical.

TommyboyNL

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Burngate wrote:You can buy ribbon cable almost as long as you like - 50m on a drum, though the signal might not crawl that far - and it's easy to cut the length you want and put connectors on.

Using FPC ribbon, dressing the ends could be problematical.
Exactly :)

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:23 pm

We stock replacement rpi camera cables at ModMyPi - 150mm - £1.99

More lengths available on request. . . ?

Also written up a guide on how to replace the cable for anyone who's broken theirs and doesn't know!
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

dkossman

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Notwithstanding the comments above, I am looking for 2 meters - can you supply these, and at what cost (US$)?. My understanding from previous posts is that longer lengths do work (using a combo of the original type of flex cable, adapter, and regular ribbon cable) so i'd imagine that a straight flex cable of this length should work as well or better, but if you've tested this I'd be grateful to hear the results.

thanks

Grumpybeard

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:14 am

@ffelagund - Did you manage to source/test the ribbon to round cable conversions? Would love to have one of these to more safely operate camera on rover pan/tilt.

http://65.36.150.178/products.cfm?Category_ID=7

rew

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 am

A few weeks ago, someone ordered an extension kit with only 20 or 30cm of "cable". We wondered WHY? So I asked. The answer was exactly this: He wanted to put the camera on a pan-tilt, the ribbon cable we provide is much more durable than the FPC. I haven't heard back, so I'm assuming this works..... If you want this, please mention this with your order. We'll split the ribbon cable for you in an appropriate way so that it becomes more flexible, but that the differential pairs remain together.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

pr3da70r

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:52 am

I'm still interested in finding a very short cable for the camera, preferably 2 inches. US supplier would be perfect for quick shipping.

Does anyone know any? That or is there a way to just cut down the wires I have?

objekt

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Can someone tell me if it is possible to separate the camera module and extend the micro-ribbon cable? I want to build the camera into something where there is too little room for the board

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm

objekt wrote:Can someone tell me if it is possible to separate the camera module and extend the micro-ribbon cable? I want to build the camera into something where there is too little room for the board
I've not heard of anyone successfully doing this - not actually sure how you could do it. Maybe if you could source the cable connectors on the PCB and end of cable, and make you own tiny PCB as an extender.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

rjain15

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 am

Is the extension cable similar to this one

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2811283

Can someone help me pick the right one - Pitch, Connectors etc. I need an local US Shipper for my project, cannot wait for it to be shipped from UK or NL.

Thanks,

Gert van Loo

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 am

No!
Those have the contacts at the same side of the cable. That will MIRROR you connections.
You need contacts on top on one side and bottom at the other side. The so called B-type cable.

Groaker

Mon May 26, 2014 2:50 pm

I tried two 2' cables (~600 mm) that both failed. Note that the camera worked again after going back to the original short cable, so it was not somehow damaged in the switch over. The cables clearly did not work. I do not know if this was the result of faulty cables, or if 2' was too great a distance.

Sometimes an add on lens, as used for cell phone cameras, can solve the problem. Other times not. They come in fisheye, wide angle, macro and telephoto. The mounts are magnetic, which will require gluing a small washer to the RPi camera so the mount will magnetically adhere.

mikerr

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:46 am

Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

chipmaster

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 pm

sharix wrote:
rew wrote:We've tested about 4m. Works fine. :-)
Pictures coming soon.
Woohoo! :D
What type of cable did you use?
Hi rew,
I have prepared the same setup for my pi but it doesn't work for 4 meters. The impedance of the lines are abot 10 ohms. Is this value the same or around in yours? I use simple ribbon cable and connector

cbst

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:08 am

A similar conversation is going on another thread. This summer I posted (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 96#p574696) about building some converter boards to remap the Raspi camera FCP cable into a HDMI-style cable. With these boards, I've been able to extend my camera by 10m. The main limitation is that the HDMI cables must have all 5 of the grounds specified in the connector pinout. Some cheap cables that I have recently purchased omit these grounds and appear to rely only on the cable shield.

goldberg

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:10 pm

1 metre and 2 metre cables available from adafruit.com
http://www.raspihub.com/go/1dde3ea8a12e ... 41f44bbeff

Rich.T.

Tue May 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to retrofit an old Logitech WiLife outdoor camera (http://support.logitech.com/en_us/produ ... ity-camera), by pulling out it's innards and replacing them all with a Raspberry Pi camera board on a long cable and keeping my Raspberry Pi (model B) high and dry indoors, while the camera sits under the eaves of my roof.
(Although it would seem that the Pi should comfortably fit in the camera case too, making a standalone, wifi, outdoor camera; I'm not sure that I would want it outdoors in all seasons.)

I ordered and have now received some kit from ModMyPi (they seemed to have the best prices when I looked):

I have been having a play around with this stuff, but although the 61cm ribbon cable listed above is a good length, it is nowhere near long enough for my purposes, so (to get on-topic for this thread) I ordered some lengths of this ribbon cable today, from a UK ebay seller:

Camera (CSI/DSI) Flat Ribbon Cable for the Raspberry Pi - Lengths: 5cm to 200cm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-CSI-DS ... 20e4fc9c94

I hope that this cable is durable enough for the intended purpose and can be used outdoors, but if it proves not to be, or is unreliable, I may have to try one of the following:

As and when I get stuck into this project, I'll take some photos and try make up a post for this board.
Rich.

Update (6/5/15): I have also ordered two of the HDMI converter kits from Tindie (as above) and they are apparently on their way to me as of 12:47 this afternoon, from Japan. We'll see if these get to me quicker than the ribbon cable I ordered from the UK ebay seller...
Last edited by Rich.T. on Wed May 06, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gara93

Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm

I have a picamera noir with a led panel, I need to put the cam at 1 meter from the raspberry. I can use this cable 1m long? I would have problems?
Thanks a lot

Rich.T.

Wed May 06, 2015 7:55 pm

gara93 wrote:
I have a picamera noir with a led panel, I need to put the cam at 1 meter from the raspberry. I can use this cable 1m long? I would have problems?
Thanks a lot
Not sure about the stuff from Farnell's, but when my 1m cable arrives from the UK ebay seller I'll test it and let you know. :)

EDIT: I have just tested this: http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/cam ... able-610mm. It seems to work fine with the NoIR camera and my Pi model B.
EDIT: I see that you are more than likely based in Italy; have you searched locally for this stuff?

gara93

Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Keep in touch!!:)
No,I find this cable only in uk or usa
Edit: Wow !!! Works fine with a 610mm cable? Perfect!!! Maybe, I can use a 300mm cable instead of a 1 meter cable

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu May 07, 2015 4:14 pm

I blogged about an HDMI extension cable today: https://www.raspberrypi.org/camera-board-extension/
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Rich.T.

Fri May 08, 2015 1:08 pm

I received the ribbon cables I ordered from the UK ebay seller a couple of days ago.
All have been tested and found to work 100%.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-CSI-DS ... 20e4fc9c94

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Camera board”