ludespeedny

Camera module idea

Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm

So I will be ordering a camera module tomorrow and have a use in mind, but not sure how to make it work.

I want to use a wireless usb adapter for the network (already have one working with my RaspBMC build - Edimax) and then be able to hit my Pi's IP and have it start the camera so I can monitor the room it is in.

Is this a possibility?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera module idea

Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes. We have had the camera streaming from a Raspi to another machine (and will provide instructions on how to do it). You'll just need to add something to do the startup stuff. I'm sure that will be a common use case.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ludespeedny

Mon May 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Great!
Is there a way to have it start up the camera when connected to the IP so when not in use it is in a low power or standby mode, or will it be an always-on thing?

jamesh

Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

ludespeedny wrote:Great!
Is there a way to have it start up the camera when connected to the IP so when not in use it is in a low power or standby mode, or will it be an always-on thing?
Almost certainly someone will come up with a way of doing that. I haven't.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ludespeedny

Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 pm

No problem, I am new to linux so not sure if it was possible, but I am sure once this is in the wild lots of innovative uses will be found.

Return to “Camera board”