jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: My Camera arrived today... what now?

Mon May 13, 2013 3:23 pm

ukscone wrote:
liz wrote:If I had a penny for every time one of our partners leaked an announcement or sent hardware out before release date, I'd have that kitchen by now!
not only the kitchen but a moat & drawbridge too
I believe a duck house in the moat/pond is the current pinnacle of household design.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Ravenous

Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm

You'd be able to get the moat cleaned regularly too, without getting it off the expenses. (Sorry deliberately obscure but I'm old and tired.)

pygmy_giant

Mon May 13, 2013 5:08 pm

How common - my duck has a moat house in the country, a town house in the city, winters in the south of france and has a wife to take his speeding points (those duck police are such plebs).

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 13, 2013 6:16 pm

jamesh wrote:
ukscone wrote:
liz wrote:If I had a penny for every time one of our partners leaked an announcement or sent hardware out before release date, I'd have that kitchen by now!
not only the kitchen but a moat & drawbridge too
I believe a duck house in the moat/pond is the current pinnacle of household design.
Does the duck house have a kitchen as well? :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jbeale

Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

wallarug wrote:Thanks for reply. I worked it out eventually. I have uploaded a video which can be accessed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBaYij_BNlg
I'm envious of you getting the camera early. But you posted a video of it working right away, which makes up for it :-).

pygmy_giant

Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Wow - that is clear and smooth.

Have you used additional lighting or is that used in your video what you would normally have to see comfortably?

wallarug

Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am

Not sure if this is known, but that camera is out of UK and in Australia!

wallarug

Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 am

Just posted new video FROM the module itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1VeV66 ... e=youtu.be

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 14, 2013 8:33 am

jamesh wrote:There have been plenty made, and the pre-registration levels seem sane. But who knows what will happen when it get launched.
Sold out at Farnell, not on sale yet at RS :-( :-D

jamesh

Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 am

rurwin wrote:
jamesh wrote:There have been plenty made, and the pre-registration levels seem sane. But who knows what will happen when it get launched.
It's been really difficult to predict demand for this - the pre-registration on Farnell/RS were way less than the number actually made...

Not sure why RS don't have them on sale yet...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RaTTuS

Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am

rurwin wrote:
Just order / backorder it via farnell
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Maxion

Tue May 14, 2013 8:43 am

jamesh wrote:
rurwin wrote:
It's been really difficult to predict demand for this - the pre-registration on Farnell/RS were way less than the number actually made...

Not sure why RS don't have them on sale yet...
RS does seem to have it for sale, at least I managed to place an order & pay for it. Earlier they had "Dispatch expected within 3 weeks" but that has since changed to "Disptach within 1 day".

Let's see when I get mine!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 am

:oops:

Farnell haven't sold out. That's just what they say to people on their business website. CPC.Farnell.com still has stock (1 less now).

And RS is the same: It's there on their "Personal" Raspberry Pi Store, but not on their regular trade website where I have an account.

RaspberryCheesecake

Tue May 14, 2013 9:31 am

Another one lass at Farnell now, hope it is good now! I'm hoping to design a case for it using the same 3D printing that I used for my RPi case, though I now realise I did not include a slot to allow the ribbon for the camera module out :o .

Ravenous

Tue May 14, 2013 9:41 am

RaspberryCheesecake wrote:I'm hoping to design a case for it using the same 3D printing that I used for my RPi case,
So what shape camera case are you going to make? :D Bird decoy or novelty plastic Hasselblad? :D

It's going to be fun watching all the crazy shapes people come up with...

killor

Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am

Hi everyone!!
Can you post a pdf with the dimensions and locations of the holes and module package OV5647 in the PCB?.
Being able to fabricate a camera mount/enclosure will hopefully be enough satisfy my burning anticipation until I can get my hands on one.
Thank you very much for your assistance...
camara_RPI.jpg
Pi camera enclosure demo
camara_RPI.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
Last edited by killor on Thu May 16, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

wallarug

Tue May 14, 2013 11:23 am

Where is the camera device 'mounted' in the OS?

is it under any of the /dev/ ??

recantha2

Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 am

It's not 'mounted' - you have to use the scripts to get photos/videos out.
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

wallarug

Tue May 14, 2013 11:47 am

recantha2 wrote:It's not 'mounted' - you have to use the scripts to get photos/videos out.

After reading the documentation for setting up a network stream, and then going to set up mplayer on Windows (which was not really good from first empressions and experimentation) I thought you could use something else to stream the video to VLC in windows.

I know this is only possible if you can access the hardware by some means and then use GStreamer or something else to just do it like a normal live stream.

Any ideas how that can happen?

wallarug

Tue May 14, 2013 12:24 pm

I have upload some more sample video to the youtube channel:

1080p/30 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1VeV66ugk
720p/60: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GX6lCftLjw

I have also update my project page as well: https://code.google.com/p/cmd-robot/

dom

Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

wallarug wrote: After reading the documentation for setting up a network stream, and then going to set up mplayer on Windows (which was not really good from first empressions and experimentation) I thought you could use something else to stream the video to VLC in windows.

I know this is only possible if you can access the hardware by some means and then use GStreamer or something else to just do it like a normal live stream.
You've got all the access you need. You have a raw h264 bitstream that you can pipe to other applications. Anything else is relatively cheap muxing and transport.

If you want to play the stream with vlc (or a web browser) on PC, I'd imagine installing (command line) vlc on the pi and using its transcode options (with passthough on the video codec) will work just fine.
It's just working out the magic runes. It will be something like:
http://www.async.fi/2011/02/http-live-s ... -with-vlc/

(you'll want to skip the audio and passthrough the video).

You don't need a camera (or even a Pi) to get this working. Can anyone start with a raw .264 file, and get it playing over network from VLC or a web browser, using command line tools?

towolf

Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 pm

dom wrote:
wallarug wrote: After reading the documentation for setting up a network stream, and then going to set up mplayer on Windows (which was not really good from first empressions and experimentation) I thought you could use something else to stream the video to VLC in windows.

You've got all the access you need. You have a raw h264 bitstream that you can pipe to other applications. Anything else is relatively cheap muxing and transport.
As soon as the raw h264 bitstream leaves your binary you lost all timing information attached to the frames. This really properly needs a real streaming solution, not just netcatting a bitstream across the network via a fifo. That's at best a poor-mans streaming solution.

Either this has to get packaged in RTP or RTSP frames or it needs muxing at the time of capture.

And V4L will have to happen sooner or later too.

jamesh

Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm

towolf wrote:
dom wrote:

As soon as the raw h264 bitstream leaves your binary you lost all timing information attached to the frames. This really properly needs a real streaming solution, not just netcatting a bitstream across the network via a fifo. That's at best a poor-mans streaming solution.

Either this has to get packaged in RTP or RTSP frames or it needs muxing at the time of capture.

And V4L will have to happen sooner or later too.
You are correct that there is no timing information in an H264 stream. I'm going to look in to 'containing' the stream at some point, but there are technical problems there, so it's not a quick job. As to it being a poor mans streaming solution - well, the camera only costs $25, so it's designed for poor men....

But as long as both ends know what the FPS is, you should be good enough for most purposes, since the camera board doesn't do audio the syncing issues are not so great.

I haven't had time to learn V4L and implement a driver I'm afraid. I'm hoping someone will come up to the plate for helping out on that one.

EdZ

Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm

I thought that wasn't working yet! Or is it just 720p30 silently pretending to be 720p60 (youtube converts everthing to 30fps, so no way to tell by looking at the posted video).

jamesh

Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 pm

EdZ wrote:
I thought that wasn't working yet! Or is it just 720p30 silently pretending to be 720p60 (youtube converts everthing to 30fps, so no way to tell by looking at the posted video).
You are correct, 60fps is not yet working. Not sure what the app does when given > 30fps, probably just tries and falls back to 30fps silently.

Return to “Camera board”