BrendonShaw

Camera mounting info

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 am

I am working on a Pi Robot project for a school and I want to include the CSI camera. I was wondering if there is a CAD model of the camera or a drawing on how to mount the camera i.e. fixing, though the hole mounting etc.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera mounting info

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 am

There are a couple of bolt holes (2mm I think) in the PCB but I'm not aware of any diagrams out yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

aframe

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 am

I did some prelim sketches when I got mine.

Drop me a pm and I'll post a link out to you.

aframe

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 am

Just to say guys, I've got your pm's re the sketch.

What softwares are you using, because I'm on Alibre Design (which is FANTASTIC by the way!) and can only export into certain formats.

GekkePrutser

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am

I'm currently using Google Sketchup :) I know it's not ideal because it doesn't do actual solids and rounded edges are a problem but I've learned to use it (and the STL converter). I've successfully made 3D models with it that I had printed. It works OK for stuff like that.

I'm trying my hand at inventor fusion at the moment too.. But it's proving a bit more difficult (I have no experience at 3D design). It's a shame there's no standard format for these. STL is fairly standard in 3D printing but most programs I know can only export it, not import.

I thought your sketch was mainly a sketch of the dimensions, as I said in the PM recantha2 sent me some but the dimensions of the camera module itself (radius of the round thing at the top), distance of the screw holes to the board edge etc are things I don't know exactly yet. The last time I had something printed I was surprised how precise it turned out (as in tenth of millimetres of accuracy) so it's important to get it accurate.

Having said that, I'll probably wait with ordering my case until I've got the board myself, the last time I designed an enclosure for an LCD it turned out the actual part was several millimetres off spec compared to its official data sheet so I was glad I waited until I got the actual part.

I'm also thinking of making a separate 'slot' for the camera module itself and for its board, fairly close together of course but just a little ridge that will hold the module and stop it rattling against the board.

aframe

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 am

I've got a 3D printer and have created the sketch to print my own case for it too, but I needed to get an accurate measurement of the unit first. Hence my measuring everything up with calipers rather than taking the documented dimensions as truth (though they are damn close).

I'll create an STL for you to use as an object in SketchUp (which is where I started with 3D design, then quickly grew out of it when I wanted more detail - Alibre is the way!). That way you can import it, and design around it.

kevinthefixer

Ultra-simple camera mount

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Having been all fired-up about the camera boards finally being available again, I ordered one without giving a thought to how to mount it. So I spent a couple days fooling around holding it in my (none too steady these days) hand.

Then the obvious occurred to me: there is plenty of room inside the MultiComp case (most of the others look like it also, but this is what I have) for the tiny camera board. I drilled an 8mm hole about 15mm below the RPi logo on the cover, set the module on it so the sensor was in the hole, marked the 4 2mm hole locations and drilled them. I didn't have any 2mm screws handy so I used some small nails from a picture-hanging kit, and held the whole together with masking tape and gravity while I put four small drops of hot glue on the tip of each nail. I put a cell phone screen protector over it to keep the dust off the lens.
SelfShotSmall.jpg
SelfShotSmall.jpg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
The ribbon cable folds nicely to fit in the case with the cover on it, but I think I should put a piece of plastic between the cable and the board so no sharp solder points can scratch the insulation. The next step will be to Epoxy a 1/4-20 square nut in the recess next to the USB ports, below the LEDs, for a tripod mount.

Nige C

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:34 am

Mounting the camera is an art for sure with the short ribbon cable. My cloud monitoring camera board is taped to the Pi's case and points mostly upwards.
Retired power engineer with a lot of real life experience. Life is an adventure again :)

Return to “Camera board”