pharar

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 pm

oxidizer wrote:Yes, an empty file is created in the home directory. I've also tried to running the raspi apps in various locations using root user (sudo) as well as the normal user (pi).
Exactly the same problem for me...

I have just received (today) two RPi 512 made in UK and one PiCam, but it has the same problem:
- Full of upgrades and rpi-upgrades
- The raspistill command and others make the light of the camera module stay ON forever and freezes the program
- I have to use CTRL-C to abort and reboot to communicate with camera.

If I use the -n modifier (no preview), I don't have to use de CTRL-C and this is what the program says (with sudo and without it)...

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ raspistill -o test5.jpg -v -n

RaspiStill Camera App
=====================

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test5.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35

Preview No, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768

Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 400, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
mmal: Unknown status error
mmal: main: Failed to connect camera to preview
Closing down
This is my uname -a:

Linux rpi-1 3.6.11+ #456 PREEMPT Mon May 20 17:42:15 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
And my CPUinfo revision is 000e, using the command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
I join to the general question. Is the module broken? or this is a missconfiguration or driver error?

:cry: Thanks in advance...
--
> Néstor Angulo de Ugarte
http://about.me/pharar

oxidizer

Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 am

Here's my system info. too:

Linux crystal-rpi 3.6.11+ #452 PREEMPT Fri May 17 14:25:40 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
and

Revision	: 000f
And, I"ve gotten the same errors as you have regarding mmal errors.

cmarty

Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 am

Hello.
Yesterday I've got the camera. But I have the same issue.
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

Clean latest raspbian, updated, upgraded, rpi-update
Camera enabled in raspi-config
Checked that in /boot/config.txt includes start_file=start_x.elf and fixup_file=fixup_x.dat

I've tested it on several RaspberryPi Version B:
Revision 002
Revision 003
3x Revision 00e
The issue is the same on all boards.
The camera red led does one flash at startup raspberry and one flash when I send the command raspistill -o image.jpg for the first time after reboot. Then it will stay black until next reboot of raspbian.

Marty

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 23, 2013 8:19 am

cmarty wrote:Hello.
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

Checked that in /boot/config.txt includes start_file=start_x.elf and fixup_file=fixup_x.dat

Revision 002
Revision 003
3x Revision 00e
The camera red led does one flash at startup raspberry and one flash when I send the command raspistill -o image.jpg for the first time after reboot. Then it will stay black until next reboot of raspbian.

Marty
That could be a defective camera module -either the PCB, the module itself or the cable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 am

pharar wrote:
oxidizer wrote:Yes, an empty file is created in the home directory. I've also tried to running the raspi apps in various locations using root user (sudo) as well as the normal user (pi).
Exactly the same problem for me...

I have just received (today) two RPi 512 made in UK and one PiCam, but it has the same problem:
- Full of upgrades and rpi-upgrades
- The raspistill command and others make the light of the camera module stay ON forever and freezes the program
- I have to use CTRL-C to abort and reboot to communicate with camera.

If I use the -n modifier (no preview), I don't have to use de CTRL-C and this is what the program says (with sudo and without it)...

[email protected] ~ $ raspistill -o test5.jpg -v -n

RaspiStill Camera App
=====================

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test5.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35

Preview No, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768

Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 400, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
mmal: main: Failed to connect camera to preview
Closing down
This is my uname -a:

Linux rpi-1 3.6.11+ #456 PREEMPT Mon May 20 17:42:15 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
And my CPUinfo revision is 000e, using the command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
I join to the general question. Is the module broken? or this is a missconfiguration or driver error?

:cry: Thanks in advance...
This is an odd one - not the same as the other errors reported. I'm not sure what can cause failure to connect the preview, and the error code appears invalid. I'll need to look in to it.

EDIT: Doh! This is a known issue with the -n flag - I've fixed it for the next release but in the meantime, just don't use the -n flag.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

wilber

Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 am

Hi all, I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but just in case it helps someone investigate the issues...

My camera works, however, I can make it have the "mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create...(etc)" errors.

If I just use the camera, fine. If I run servoblaster (the software version, not the kernal version) I then get the mmal... errors that a lot of people are reporting. I can then only fix it by rebooting.
(In case you're wondering, I was trying to make a crude servo based pan/tilt mount for the camera)
Although I don't have a huge knowledge of these things, the fact that starting one app stops another one working, does seem to point to some kind of conflict?

If there's anything anyone would like me to try/give details on, please ask.
Incidentally, the servos were being powered by a completely separate power supply, so I don't think this was a power issue.

ralfj

Thu May 23, 2013 9:40 am

ok, the plot really thickens now. I too am trying to build an object tracking system with a pan tilt head, web cam and OpenCV so I have Servoblaster and PiBlaster installed on my machine and I think they load at boot (any idea how to check that?).

If I can work out how to ensure they are not loaded on boot I can see if that makes any difference.

jamesh

Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am

wilber wrote:Hi all, I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but just in case it helps someone investigate the issues...

My camera works, however, I can make it have the "mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create...(etc)" errors.

If I just use the camera, fine. If I run servoblaster (the software version, not the kernal version) I then get the mmal... errors that a lot of people are reporting. I can then only fix it by rebooting.
(In case you're wondering, I was trying to make a crude servo based pan/tilt mount for the camera)
Although I don't have a huge knowledge of these things, the fact that starting one app stops another one working, does seem to point to some kind of conflict?

If there's anything anyone would like me to try/give details on, please ask.
Incidentally, the servos were being powered by a completely separate power supply, so I don't think this was a power issue.
There''s a bug in servoblaster - its using a GPIO that the camera uses. There's a post somewhere describing the required fix in Servoblaster.

xranby

Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 am

jamesh wrote: There''s a bug in servoblaster - its using a GPIO that the camera uses. There's a post somewhere describing the required fix in Servoblaster.
The required GPIO fix for camera + ServoBlaster is described in this blog post:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 71#p351471
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

wilber

Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am

Ok, so I was sort of correct that there was a conflict.
So which GPIO pins does the camera need/user i.e. which ones should I avoid using (possibly by other apps)

cmarty

Thu May 23, 2013 10:46 am

jamesh wrote:

Revision 002
Revision 003
3x Revision 00e

Marty
That could be a defective camera module -either the PCB, the module itself or the cable.
Due to availability of replacement ( sometimes in August (Farnell)) I'm interested in how to sort out where is the problem. I beeped the cable and connections are ok. But on the cable is small visible knick. Can the knick produce this failure ? I can imagine to order somewhere a cable replacement and test it. Is it also possible to test somehow the PCB and fix it ? What is the typical fault with the PCB?

jamesh

Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 am

cmarty wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Revision 002
Revision 003
3x Revision 00e

Marty
Due to availability of replacement ( sometimes in August (Farnell)) I'm interested in how to sort out where is the problem. I beeped the cable and connections are ok. But on the cable is small visible knick. Can the knick produce this failure ? I can imagine to order somewhere a cable replacement and test it. Is it also possible to test somehow the PCB and fix it ? What is the typical fault with the PCB?
We have no typical faults, it's not been out long enough. I tested by replacing the camera module itself, since I had a spare. The fault moved with the PCB only.

If you buzzed the cable at all lines were OK that won't be the problem.

cmarty

Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 am

jamesh wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Revision 002
Revision 003
3x Revision 00e

We have no typical faults, it's not been out long enough. I tested by replacing the camera module itself, since I had a spare. The fault moved with the PCB only.

Great!. I've got it working. I focused on the PCB. I've tried to unplugged and replugged the connection between camera and PBC (the yellow square with sunny written on it). And after that the camera starts working. It must have been there some bad connection between camera and PCB. (Maybe due to shakes or some hit when transporting).
Thanks for help.

jamesh

Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 am

cmarty wrote:
jamesh wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Great!. I've got it working. I focused on the PCB. I've tried to unplugged and replugged the connection between camera and PBC (the yellow square with sunny written on it). And after that the camera starts working. It must have been there some bad connection between camera and PCB. (Maybe due to shakes or some hit when transporting).
Thanks for help.
Splendid. Have fun!

erikcf

Fri May 24, 2013 12:47 am

Mine had the exact symptoms that cmarty's had and the fix was the same. I had tried just pushing on it before but a couple days ago got it working when I unplugged and then reconnected that connection on the camera board.
Last edited by erikcf on Fri May 24, 2013 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

oxidizer

Fri May 24, 2013 2:51 am

I've tried that several times. Even unplug/replug the ribbon cable. I was just messing around with it again hoping that it would magically work. But still no luck. Maybe my camera is a no good. I can send it someone if they want to try it out. better yet, I wish I knew some RPi folks around my neck of the woods. Thanks for offering your ideas.

-Chad

ralfj

Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 am

I think that I managed to remove ServoBlaster and Pi-Blaster last night, I just deleted all the directories associated with the software and did a reboot. Sadly still no joy.

Does anyone know of any tool which will allow me to check the status of the GPIO pins so I can see if any other bits of software have co-opted the ones that camera needs?

The good news is that a package containing the new camera I brought on Wednesday afternoon just arrived on my desk so I will be able to give that a try at the weekend. I've also downloaded the latest Raspian image and will build that on a new SD card as a fresh install in case I still have issues when I connect the new camera.

More to follow at the weekend.

jamesh

Fri May 24, 2013 11:53 am

oxidizer wrote:I've tried that several times. Even unplug/replug the ribbon cable. I was just messing around with it again hoping that it would magically work. But still no luck. Maybe my camera is a no good. I can send it someone if they want to try it out. better yet, I wish I knew some RPi folks around my neck of the woods. Thanks for offering your ideas.

-Chad
Are you trying with a new SD card image? If after trying that (and remember you still need to update/upgrade with the Feb image), and it still doesn't work, then there may well be a fault with the camera so it will need to be returned.

pharar

Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 pm

jamesh wrote:
This is an odd one - not the same as the other errors reported. I'm not sure what can cause failure to connect the preview, and the error code appears invalid. I'll need to look in to it.

EDIT: Doh! This is a known issue with the -n flag - I've fixed it for the next release but in the meantime, just don't use the -n flag.

But if I don't use -n flag, the program freezes exactly like other guys. So, anyway, its the same problem...
--
> Néstor Angulo de Ugarte
http://about.me/pharar

jamesh

Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 pm

pharar wrote:
jamesh wrote:

But if I don't use -n flag, the program freezes exactly like other guys. So, anyway, its the same problem...
OK, so could be a dodgy board/sensor.

Checklist:

New SD card image, with update and upgrade run.
Ensure camera is enabled in raspi-config
Check gpu_mem is at least 128, and firmware used is start_x.elf (both in config.txt)
Check all ribbon cable connections are solid and the right way round
Check the camera is actually firmly attached to the PCB (in fact, unplug, blow out any fluff and reseat)

If all of that doesnt fix it, then it may be faulty.

peewee2

Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 pm

heh - that was my problem.

My camera had failed after I moved the pi ( without even touching the camera ribbon cable ).

I found that the connector was not actually plugged in, it was just resting on the on the receptacle, so it was just luck that the camera ever worked. I was able to lift the connector away from the pcb with no force at all, I then pushed it down on to the board and it located with an audible click.
Camera is now working as expected.

Perhaps there is a case for a sticky for camera related problems.

Pete

jbeale

Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 pm

See item 6 on this list (just posted it today): http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=44879

NewIT.co.uk

Sat May 25, 2013 10:58 am

aideen wrote:NewIT appear to have stock...

http://newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=PiCamera
We have a new shop, so just updating links, for the camera it is here now:
http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/all-raspber ... mera-Board
www.newit.co.uk

jonasnl

Sun May 26, 2013 2:09 pm

jamesh wrote:
pharar wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Checklist:

New SD card image, with update and upgrade run.
Ensure camera is enabled in raspi-config
Check gpu_mem is at least 128, and firmware used is start_x.elf (both in config.txt)
Check all ribbon cable connections are solid and the right way round
Check the camera is actually firmly attached to the PCB (in fact, unplug, blow out any fluff and reseat)

If all of that doesnt fix it, then it may be faulty.

Hi Jamesh,

Yesterday I received my camera and I got it working pretty quick.
Now I'm having the problem that the red light on the camera turns on when I use the 'raspistill -o test.jpg' command. I can keep waiting but nothing happens until I reboot. All I did yesterday is adding the samba package and connecting a usbdrive with external power to store the images on.

I've done all the things in your checklist and worked with a fresh SD card.
Complete reinstall, update, upgrade, config and reconnecting the camera and reconnecting the 'sunny' connector.

Nothing helps. Again: still image or video -> results in a freeze and permanent red light on the camera.

Any other ideas? I only had 1 day of fun with it... :(

ghavenga

Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm

My camera module was shipped in it's "little white box" stuffed into a bubble envelope.

Apparently, the parcel service Newark uses in the US runs all it's envelopes through a set of rollers (joking) because the box was smashed flat (and the mylar flex circuit was crimped rather sharply) (not joking).

In any case, I got these messages as well, and as it turned out all the mashing in the mail caused the flex circuit connector to become dislodged - the camera module was in place, but it was essentially unplugged from the board.

This wasn't really evident until I looked at it really closely, so if anyone is having trouble getting their camera recognized, they should definitely check this connector.

After I got everything working, it seems as if my camera is awful grainy, even with a reasonable amount of light - I'm wondering if the connector got damaged. Does anyone know if there any way to get the camera to produce a test pattern that would allow for validation of the data path?

Return to “Camera board”