ralfj

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 am

I'm afraid that I've been through this thread multiple times and scoured the web for answers but still have the same issue.

I'm using a 512mb Rev B board (running cat /proc/cmdline | awk -v RS=" " -F= '/boardrev/ { print $2 }' gives me a result of 0xe as the exact version). I'm running Raspian.

All the updates work fine, but when I try and execute a camera command I get this error:

[email protected] /opt/vc/bin $ raspistill -o test.jpg
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

I have reseated the cable from the camera on the board itself and am not seeing the 'capacitance' issue mentioned by other posters.

I'm a Linux newbie who has been learning since I got my Pi last year and would really appreciate anyone helping me resolve the problem as I'm eager to build a nice little time lapse rig over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Many thanks in advance

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 am

Possibly the memory split? Did you run raspi-config and enable the camera option?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ralfj

Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks James. Yes I used Raspiconfig to enable the camera and have tried a 128mb and 256mb memory allocation for the GPU.

Ralf

peewee2

Tue May 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I think it's not as simple as a config problem.

I have had my camera working for 3 days. I have had intermittent problems with mmal: mmal_vc_component_create

I have raspistill running in response to a cgi script, it has been working fine, but stopped after a few hours ( mmal create message )

I found it was fixed by a reboot, but now the camera has stopped completely.

I have the pi in a case, and the camera ribbon is taped to the case, thus certain that it's not a loose connection.

Raspian is up to date

full message

Code: Select all

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly
Pete

jamesh

Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Interestingly I've started getting the ENOMEM error on my board at home. There's nothing obviously wrong in the configuration, and it has worked before, so I'll take the camera in to work and try it on a known working version - its may be a failed camera module (its an early proto) or a possible kink in the ribbon cable I 'added' whilst boxing it. WIll report back my findings.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

ralfj

Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Interesting.

I also wondered about the ribbon cable tonight, so I dug out my DVM, disconnected the cable from both end and checked the continuity of each line on it. It all seemed to check out, so I'm none the wiser, but at least it's eliminated it from the possible cause of the problem.

Cheers

Ralf

peewee2

Tue May 21, 2013 9:55 pm

hmm

it's working again.

I left it turned off for 30 mins, switched it back on and...

Pete

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2013 8:24 am

OK, so done some test with various combinations of working and non- working bits.

The problem (for me) appears to be the camera PCB. The camera module when moved to another PCB works fine, as does the cable. So I'm thinking I have static shocked the PCB and killed it since it used to work, then didn't after I wiggled stuff around putting it in a case.

So it looks like the ENOMEM error is also returned when the camera board (as a whole) isn't communicating with the Raspi itself - indicative of a PCB failure, a camera module failure or a cable failure. In my case the PCB (which is a prototype anyway)

James

ralfj

Wed May 22, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for the update James. Does this mean I need to contact Farnel and sort out a replacement?

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2013 8:58 am

ralfj wrote:Thanks for the update James. Does this mean I need to contact Farnel and sort out a replacement?
I think so, unless you can try it on another Raspberry Pi to be really sure - another possible cause could be a fault on the CSI interface plug on the Pi itself.

ralfj

Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 am

Ok thanks. I've just spoken to Farnell and am awaiting a call back to confirm how the returns process works.

Thanks for your help, fingers crossed that the replacement will just plug and go.

aideen

Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

Note that it isn't too difficult to accidently dislodge the little beige 'SUNNY' connector on the front while 'deploying' the camera.

I had a similar experience to QuasimOndo. The camera worked fine during initial testing but once installed in a temporary outdoor housing (ice-cream box plus blu-tack) it suddenly wasn't working anymore. It took a close visual inspection to see why!

Lots of fun trying to get good shots of the blue-tit nest in the garden quickly resumed.

Roll on lots of ingenious housings/fixings!

ralfj

Wed May 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Latest update, is that I've been speaking to Farnell about a replacement and apparently the lead time now means that they are not expecting stock until August 8th!!!

To say I'm gutted is an understatement.

I've read somewhere that the Camera draws a fair amount of current, I'm running the Pi from a powered USB hub which works fine up to now. Can someone advise where I need to meter the power on the Pi to check what actual voltage is at the board?

I need to start thinking of an alternative project for this weekend if I can't get this camera working :-(

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 pm

ralfj wrote:Latest update, is that I've been speaking to Farnell about a replacement and apparently the lead time now means that they are not expecting stock until August 8th!!!

To say I'm gutted is an understatement.

I've read somewhere that the Camera draws a fair amount of current, I'm running the Pi from a powered USB hub which works fine up to now. Can someone advise where I need to meter the power on the Pi to check what actual voltage is at the board?

I need to start thinking of an alternative project for this weekend if I can't get this camera working :-(
It's about 200mA more, more when encoding. I did wonder if that might be the problem, but in my case a more powerful supply did not fix the problem - it MIGHT in your case. I think the symptoms of insufficient power would exhibit in the same way.

ralfj

Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Ok thanks. Stupid question, but where would the best place on the Pi be to measure the voltage?

aideen

Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm

NewIT appear to have stock...

http://newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=PiCamera

A few quid more, but next day delivery.

ralfj

Wed May 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Thank you, I must have read your mind. I just ordered one from them and am going to send the other one back to Farnell for a refund I think (assuming I can make the new one work that is :-)

aideen

Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Order a power supply from NewIT as well? You'll need a USB cable too. And some spare SD cards! Extra spending for Holiday w/e :-)

oxidizer

Wed May 22, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm also not having any success getting the camera module to work. I have done the update, upgrade, firmware update, etc, twice now with fresh image of the 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img and STILL no success. I can get the module to light up when issuing the raspistill -o image.jpg command. But the red LED stays on and no image is taken. I have to abort with control-c. I checked the connections/cables to-fro the pi and module many times. I reseated the little yellow connector on the module. The cables are not kinked. I'm using Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB RAM from Adafruit. I got my camera from MCM Electronics (US), part # 28-17733. In addition to the setup instructions on this website, I also reformatted a fresh SD card and did the setup directions posted on MCM Electronics webpage: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-17733. There is a nice PDF instruction and video on how to do the install. I've done this twice with no luck getting the camera to work.

I've also tried using raspivid command with no luck. The camera just hangs and I have to ctr c to quite. Then reboot and the red light goes out. Interestingly, I can turn the red LED on/off using a python script that controls GPIO #5.

Here is the message I get with raspistill -v -o image.jpg.
RaspiStill Camera App
=====================

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename image.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768

Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 400, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to preview input port
Starting video preview
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Enabling encoder output port
Opening output file image.jpg
Starting capture 1
^Cmmal: Aborting program
I'm not sure if there is a pending solution but I thought I would speak up about my issues with the module. BTW, MCM Electronics will send me a new module FOR FREE just in case mine is faulty. I don't even have to send my old one back. Now that's customer service. Maybe I should just cut my loses and get a USB webcam :(

-Chad

leol

Wed May 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Could be the power, or lack of. The camera takes an additional 200ma and your psu may not be up to it.

quote="oxidizer"]I'm also not having any success getting the camera module to work. I have done the update, upgrade, firmware update, etc, twice now with fresh image of the 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img and STILL no success. I can get the module to light up when issuing the raspistill -o image.jpg command. But the red LED stays on and no image is taken. I have to abort with control-c. I checked the connections/cables to-fro the pi and module many times. I reseated the little yellow connector on the module. The cables are not kinked. I'm using Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB RAM from Adafruit. I got my camera from MCM Electronics (US), part # 28-17733. In addition to the setup instructions on this website, I also reformatted a fresh SD card and did the setup directions posted on MCM Electronics webpage: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-17733. There is a nice PDF instruction and video on how to do the install. I've done this twice with no luck getting the camera to work.

I've also tried using raspivid command with no luck. The camera just hangs and I have to ctr c to quite. Then reboot and the red light goes out. Interestingly, I can turn the red LED on/off using a python script that controls GPIO #5.

Here is the message I get with raspistill -v -o image.jpg.
RaspiStill Camera App
=====================

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename image.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768

Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 400, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to preview input port
Starting video preview
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Enabling encoder output port
Opening output file image.jpg
Starting capture 1
^Cmmal: Aborting program
I'm not sure if there is a pending solution but I thought I would speak up about my issues with the module. BTW, MCM Electronics will send me a new module FOR FREE just in case mine is faulty. I don't even have to send my old one back. Now that's customer service. Maybe I should just cut my loses and get a USB webcam :(

-Chad[/quote]

oxidizer

Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for the response. I thought of power issues. So I tried without the wireless USB dongle. I'm was powering the Pi from a USB hub that delivers 2 amps/5V. I'm using an Apple keyboard (~200 mA current) and a tiny USB mouse (not sure the power consumption). I've also tried this w/ and w/o HDMI, but had to use the wireless in order to ssh into the Pi. After all that, maybe I'm still under powered. Is it possible to power the PI with its dedicated plug and also use a powered USB powered hub? Will that help with power issues? Thanks in advanced.

jbeale

Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 pm

the only way to confirm a power issue is to actually measure the TP1-TP2 voltage on the board with the camera powered up. Even if the USB hub really can provide 2 A through a single USB port, the voltage may be lower than the Pi wants (should be at least 4.75 V). If it's an older hub, it may be actively limited to 500 mA per port, likely just enough for a Pi, but not enough for Pi + 200 mA camera.

PS. Is 200 mA the keyboard's nominal max rating or does it actually draw that? What does it do with that much power?

oxidizer

Wed May 22, 2013 8:31 pm

I'll have to check the voltage on the board with everything connected. The hub is newly purchased. I chose the one that had the highest amp rating listed on the box, which was 2A. The 200 mA is what was indicated on the keyboard itself... noted on the bottom of the keyboard in fine print. Not sure but I think is max mA, based on another Apple keyboard label. It's one of those old Apple keyboard that has a couple USB slots in it, which I don't use.

At least I have something to try now and get a better power management plan. Will adding the additional power to the board through the microUSB connector work in addition to a powered USB hub? Thanks.
jbeale wrote:the only way to confirm a power issue is to actually measure the TP1-TP2 voltage on the board with the camera powered up. Even if the USB hub really can provide 2 A through a single USB port, the voltage may be lower than the Pi wants (should be at least 4.75 V). If it's an older hub, it may be actively limited to 500 mA per port, likely just enough for a Pi, but not enough for Pi + 200 mA camera.

PS. Is 200 mA the keyboard's nominal max rating or does it actually draw that? What does it do with that much power?

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm

That doesn't look like a power problem. Everything has started up and its waiting for a frame from the camera. Does a file get created, and is it empty? Is place you are writing the file to able to be written to (permissions) and have enough space?

oxidizer

Wed May 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Yes, an empty file is created in the home directory. I've also tried to running the raspi apps in various locations using root user (sudo) as well as the normal user (pi).

Return to “Camera board”