aframe
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh and just to add: I get finger-capacitancegate on the Rev2 board and not the Rev1.

User avatar
mappler
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Awesome. Very cool. Out of curiosity, what revision is your non-working board if you run "cat /proc/cpuinfo"?

aframe
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm

mappler wrote:Awesome. Very cool. Out of curiosity, what revision is your non-working board if you run "cat /proc/cpuinfo"?
It's 100000f.

The working one is 1000002.

Now to start messing!!

Thanks for your help everybody! I still hope that there's a way to get the other board working, but I'm happy now that I can start working with images and vids.

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3444
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Great news that we have some working cameras out there! Meanwhile, I hope JamesH/Dom/GSH will eventually shed some light on the various Rev.1 and Rev.2 boards that don't want to see the light. Since we now have examples of a "000f" Rev.2 board both working and not working, as well as various Rev.1 boards both working and not working, the revision doesn't seem to be the key factor. But the finger-touch turning on the LED effect seems the consistent marker of "not-working". I wonder, did that behavior also happen with a board that was later made to work OK with the config.txt edit?

If you're looking for a quick and useful test on your new cam ( :-) ) one burning question has been, what is the field of view? If you just take a photo of a ruler that is some known distance away, it could be calculated from that.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22754
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm

jbeale wrote:Great news that we have some working cameras out there! Meanwhile, I hope JamesH/Dom/GSH will eventually shed some light on the various Rev.1 and Rev.2 boards that don't want to see the light. Since we now have examples of a "000f" Rev.2 board both working and not working, as well as various Rev.1 boards both working and not working, the revision doesn't seem to be the key factor. But the finger-touch turning on the LED effect seems the consistent marker of "not-working". I wonder, did that behavior also happen with a board that was later made to work OK with the config.txt edit?

If you're looking for a quick and useful test on your new cam ( :-) ) one burning question has been, what is the field of view? If you just take a photo of a ruler that is some known distance away, it could be calculated from that.
I can try the FOV thing tomorrow. Dom will have to look in to the other stuff - I only have rev1 (256MB) boards to play with. Mind you , he may only have 256 as well. I'm hopefully visiting the offices tomorrow, so will try and find some more recent kit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

aappler
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 pm

liz wrote:*Waves* - hi Amy!
Image

poing
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Seeing the images the lens seems to need a few meters distance before things get sharp, as could be expected. I just tried holding an €3 pair of reading glasses from the supermarket in front of my DSLR and that seems to work, sort of. If I focus at around 3 meters and hold a +2.00 pair of glasses against the lens the focus shifts to about 50cm. Not sure what the quality hit will be but it should be possible to Dremel a 'filter' the size of the lens on the Pi camera out of the plastic 'glass' from the reading glasses.

I'm pretty sure kids (whatever age) will want to shoot more 'close up' than the 3(?) meters the camera seems to need.

User avatar
mappler
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Amy and I are shooting pictures in our workshop/garage in REALLY lousy lighting conditions (fluorescent plus natural light mixed in the same scene at different distances) and holding the camera with a jiggly hand. We haven't specified any picture quality options and just used defaults, whatever they are. I wouldn't read too much into those shots as far as picture quality is concerned. We'll take some "real" pictures later and give you an idea of the photo quality.

-Matt

poing
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 pm

I'd appreciate that very much, but it's clear from the three shots in this thread that the background is much sharper than Amy or the monkey. Camera movement would make everything blurry and you have a fixed aperture so more light will not influence the depth of field. The lens is configured to have infinity inside the acceptable range of focus so it's no wonder relatively close objects will become unsharp.

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3444
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 am

For those of us without a camera, it's tempting to start "pixel-peeping".... It is interesting to examine the jaggies on the bottom edge of the fluorescent light in the "Hi Liz" photo. Of course, all digital cameras show jaggy/stairstep aliasing on high contrast, nearly horizontal lines. Looking at the size of the steps, unless the debayer function is doing something unusual, it appears to me that this image was upsampled by some non-integer ratio near 1.7x, at some point between the sensor pixels and the final image. I don't intend to criticize the camera, it is what it is. Just curious to see how it works. One possibility is this image was captured at 1080p (1920 x 1080), and then upsampled 1.8x (and horizontally cropped) to reach the 2592 x 1944 size. Another is that the camera automatically engages 2x2 binning in lower light conditions, then upsampling to meet the requested image size.
hiliz_at_8x.jpg
hiliz_at_8x.jpg (15.59 KiB) Viewed 9006 times

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22754
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 am

jbeale wrote:For those of us without a camera, it's tempting to start "pixel-peeping".... It is interesting to examine the jaggies on the bottom edge of the fluorescent light in the "Hi Liz" photo. Of course, all digital cameras show jaggy/stairstep aliasing on high contrast, nearly horizontal lines. Looking at the size of the steps, unless the debayer function is doing something unusual, it appears to me that this image was upsampled by some non-integer ratio near 1.7x, at some point between the sensor pixels and the final image. I don't intend to criticize the camera, it is what it is. Just curious to see how it works. One possibility is this image was captured at 1080p (1920 x 1080), and then upsampled 1.8x (and horizontally cropped) to reach the 2592 x 1944 size. Another is that the camera automatically engages 2x2 binning in lower light conditions, then upsampling to meet the requested image size.
hiliz_at_8x.jpg
That's interesting. The default parameters should capture at the native max resolution. I wonder if something is picking the wrong mode somewhere and it's being upscaled...I've try and find some time to look in to it. One way of confirming by a third party would be to add the raw option, and find out how much bigger the resulting file becomes.

I'd would add that this might be a side effect of denoise and sharpening since the lighting conditions are pretty bad, and these depend on the gain - higher gain, higher denoise and sharpening. Might be causing artefacts.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MATT227
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:25 pm

After adding everything I need to I still get:

/opt/vc/bin/raspicam -o firstpic.jpg

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3444
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm

do you by any chance have access to a different R-Pi to try the camera with?
and just as a general-purpose check: I understand the camera uses quite a bit of current. Have you confirmed that your power supply is good? (check voltage between TP1 and TP2, should be very near 5.0 Volts )

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3444
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:02 am

Just to review the situation as it stands now: I have seen posts from 5 people with working CSI camera modules, and two who have not yet got them working. If there's any I missed, feel free to add the details.

Code: Select all

1 recantha2  working (16 March) http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog/?p=2937
2 mappler    working (11 Apr) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39996&start=25#p329090
3 bspratt    working (11 Apr) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39970&start=25#p329311
4 aframe     working (11 Apr) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39970&start=25#p329477
5 andygrove  working (14 Apr) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39970&start=50#p331320

6 MATT227     not working (14 Apr) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39970&start=25#p330933
7 MattWherry  not working (19 Apr) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39970&start=50#p334876
In the "camera winners" post 3 weeks ago, http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3575 there were 10 names listed

Code: Select all

Brian Pratt, Matthew Mittler, Ross Corriden, Sebastian Lieberknecht, Steven Daglish, Matt Wherry, Amy Appler, Andy Grove, Adam Farah, David Crawley
not including Michael Horne (recantha2) who got his earlier, so I believe there are four camera owners we have not heard from.

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3444
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

any more camera project updates?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 am

It's been a few weeks now since most (?) of the lucky camera-owners reported they had their cameras up and running. I was just wondering if there were any updates since then, that I missed!

1) Anyone figure out why some cameras don't work on some R-Pi boards? Power supply, software config, other?
2) Any updates on what people are doing with their cameras?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22754
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 am

It's a sort of update, but a few days ago I modified the camera driver and the example code so you can set the rotation/flip/mirror of the sensor, for those awkward mounting moments. Mostly works.

Also fixed up the demo code so you can stream the output of the video app straight to stdout, this means you can easy set up a stream over ethernet. Still need to do the same for the stills app. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but also have added time lapse code a while back, so you can set the device up to take a picture every x seconds. Tried it over a weekend and it took 18k pictures without problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
recantha2
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Potton, Bedfordshire
Contact: Website

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 am

jamesh wrote:It's a sort of update, but a few days ago I modified the camera driver and the example code so you can set the rotation/flip/mirror of the sensor, for those awkward mounting moments. Mostly works.

Also fixed up the demo code so you can stream the output of the video app straight to stdout, this means you can easy set up a stream over ethernet. Still need to do the same for the stills app. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but also have added time lapse code a while back, so you can set the device up to take a picture every x seconds. Tried it over a weekend and it took 18k pictures without problem.
That's great news, James, thanks. Mounting the camera on anything is a bit fiddly and having rotation on it will help a lot.

Speaking of mounting... Would the camera still work with a ribbon cable, say, twice the length?

18k pictures... lol... That's a lot of pictures!
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Website: http://camjam.me
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22754
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:32 am

recantha2 wrote:
jamesh wrote:It's a sort of update, but a few days ago I modified the camera driver and the example code so you can set the rotation/flip/mirror of the sensor, for those awkward mounting moments. Mostly works.

Also fixed up the demo code so you can stream the output of the video app straight to stdout, this means you can easy set up a stream over ethernet. Still need to do the same for the stills app. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but also have added time lapse code a while back, so you can set the device up to take a picture every x seconds. Tried it over a weekend and it took 18k pictures without problem.
That's great news, James, thanks. Mounting the camera on anything is a bit fiddly and having rotation on it will help a lot.

Speaking of mounting... Would the camera still work with a ribbon cable, say, twice the length?

18k pictures... lol... That's a lot of pictures!
Only problem with rotation is you reduce FOV at 90 and 270 - since the sensor isn't square and you need to fit the rotated aspect to the preview aspect.

We've not tried long cables, but I think quality would degrade a bit, possibly to the point of not working. But I guess it needs to be tried. The clock was moved to the board itself rather than coming from the VC4 itself because the cable at 15cm was failing EMC tests.

18k may be a lot, but not if they are all pretty much the same image of the office over a period of 48hrs!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

aframe
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:13 am

I've been playing with the streaming for the last couple of days and I've had a bit of a block with it.
Tried it once or twice from my pi to a Linux Miny machine I've got and it worked flawlessly over wifi with hardly any lag. I mean HARDLY any. Did the finger click test and there can't have been more than a few tens of milliseconds delay!

However, now it just streams to Linux for a second, then Linux complains about the cache and just hangs the stream.

Tried it on two different installs and same thing happens.

Probably one for James, but, any ideas?

Also, is there any way that I can take that stream once it's working and use it in my programs? I tried reading the fifo file in opencv but no luck.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22754
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 am

aframe wrote:I've been playing with the streaming for the last couple of days and I've had a bit of a block with it.
Tried it once or twice from my pi to a Linux Miny machine I've got and it worked flawlessly over wifi with hardly any lag. I mean HARDLY any. Did the finger click test and there can't have been more than a few tens of milliseconds delay!

However, now it just streams to Linux for a second, then Linux complains about the cache and just hangs the stream.

Tried it on two different installs and same thing happens.

Probably one for James, but, any ideas?

Also, is there any way that I can take that stream once it's working and use it in my programs? I tried reading the fifo file in opencv but no luck.
Actually that sort of stuff is a bit out of my field. You really need a Linux guru (Dom keeps pointing me in the right direction for this sort of think)..

What are you using on the Linux box to display the stream?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

aframe
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 am

jamesh wrote: What are you using on the Linux box to display the stream?
Just the command line dom posted in the other thread, so netcat and mplayer.

DOMM!!!! Calling DOM!!!! :D

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3444
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:13 pm

aframe wrote:Tried it once or twice from my pi to a Linux Miny machine I've got and it worked flawlessly over wifi with hardly any lag. I mean HARDLY any. Did the finger click test and there can't have been more than a few tens of milliseconds delay!
This is really impressive to me. I've been working with digital video since I got a MiniDV camera in 1998, and all my equipment has always had a very noticeable lag over the digital output, like some hundreds of milliseconds. So if the R-Pi camera lag including H.264 encoder, receiving end decoder, and wifi link all together adds up to only tens of milliseconds, that's great.

aframe
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm

jamesh wrote:
aframe wrote:I've been playing with the streaming for the last couple of days and I've had a bit of a block with it.
Tried it once or twice from my pi to a Linux Miny machine I've got and it worked flawlessly over wifi with hardly any lag. I mean HARDLY any. Did the finger click test and there can't have been more than a few tens of milliseconds delay!

However, now it just streams to Linux for a second, then Linux complains about the cache and just hangs the stream.

Tried it on two different installs and same thing happens.

Probably one for James, but, any ideas?

Also, is there any way that I can take that stream once it's working and use it in my programs? I tried reading the fifo file in opencv but no luck.
Actually that sort of stuff is a bit out of my field. You really need a Linux guru (Dom keeps pointing me in the right direction for this sort of think)..

What are you using on the Linux box to display the stream?
Sorted this now, updated and upgraded and all seems to be working fine. Perfectly in fact.
Just running the netcat pipe from the pi to my mac over wifi rather than my linux box and it's superb!

I'll try and get a video posted that showcases the lag, or lack thereof from the camera.

I think everyone is going to be hugely impressed by how well this works, especially the ones that want realtime video streaming for UAV/FPV purposes.

I've been testing various ways of integrating this with OpenCV and have had some results.

If I do a

Code: Select all

raspivid -o - | mplayer -fps 60 -dumpstream -dumpfile ~/test.mkv
I can read that into OpenCV and get a window with a few seconds of the video showing, before it panics and quits.

I've also been trying a

Code: Select all

mkfifo file.mkv
raspivid -o - | mplayer -fps 60 -dumpstream -dumpfile ~/file.mkv | python myopencvprog.py
to get OpenCV to read the stream as its getting piped, but thats not working.

Any one got any clues on that one???

nkrabben
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 pm

I just receive my camera and I'm running into some problems. I've tried running all my apt-get upgrades and updates, and then all the solutions in this thread and still no luck.

First I try,

Code: Select all

@raspberrypi ~ $ raspistill -o first.jpg
* failed to open vchiq instance
I can run this to give access to vchiq, but I have to run it every time I reboot,

Code: Select all

@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vchiq
@raspberrypi ~ $ raspistill -o first.jpg
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly
So, how do I fix:
1) failed to open vchiq not detected
FIXED: 2) Camera not detected

Massive Edit: I fixed the camera not starting problem, when I noticed the camera was unplugged on the board. Not sure how that happened.

Quasim0ndo
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 am

So after having no problems and the camera running just fine I also got those same error messages after I had built a little housing for my camera. Here's what fixed it for me:

The cause of the error turned out to be the little beige "P5VO4A SUNNY" connector on the PCB which had gotten loose when I screwed the PCB to my mounting plate and probably had bent the PCB a bit in the process. Pressing the beige plug firmly back into the socket fixed it for me (after having to disassemble my entire contraption....)

Return to “Camera board”