jbeale

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm

aframe wrote:(...) the red light is now turning on due to capacitance when I move my hand within 5/6cm.
Ok, at that distance, sounds to me like not AC hum pickup, but a DC static charge on you relative to the Pi, that is bringing a high-impedance FET/CMOS gate into conduction as you approach the device. Still possible there is a software (mis-) config that has left an I/O gate floating that should be an output. Presumably someone at the foundation has also tried the blank-slate excercise with a bare R-Pi, following the same directions you're using (?)

If you've done an rpi-update, I wonder if something has changed in the latest image that broke the camera setup, until now unnoticed because the previous in-house camera testers have not yet updated to the April 2 or later revision (? pure speculation on my part)

I'm just thinking about the fact that 'recantha' (Michael Horne, username here recantha2) got his camera some weeks ago on 16 March: http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog/?p=2937 It worked for him right away, and I know that there has been some kernel/firmware work done and released in the meantime, given that my kernel (obtained via rpi-update) is dated April 2. So the working software on his system is perhaps not identical to what the people starting out with it this week are using.

mappler

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 pm

I am currently updating a new SD card, with the latest Wheezy image. All I am doing is flashing the card, expanding the file system, enabling wifi, and then following the steps outlined in the camera document.

I believe all connectors are connected correctly (not my first time with ribbon cables). I have checked and rechecked, including using a multimeter to check continuity from the outside of the connector to the other end of the ribbon cable. This should mean a) I have it connected correctly and b) the ribbon cable is good. I have also "reseated" the tiny ribbon cable off the camera unit itself. All things appear in order. I see nothing amis. Additionally, the "indentations" for each pin of the connector is in the right place on the ribbon cable, pretty much right in the middle.

We followed all instructions, including the firmware update for the two Pi's we have tried it on. I'll do everything again with this new card.

I've tried two Pi boards so far. I think I have access to 3-4 Pi's at the moment..;) I'll repost once the update on the SD card is completed! Fingers crossed.

Note: This experience has been great for my daughter. Unexpected learning exercise that sometimes, new stuff doesn't work right away and the Internet is a powerful tool to help resolve issues. I'm really hoping it is something we have done wrong!!!!

Thanks,
-Matt

jbeale

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 pm

The only person "in the wild" blogging about a working RPi camera that I know of is recantha2 / Michael H. So I think it would be quite interesting to compare the result of 'uname -a' on his system, with those who are having trouble. Just to confirm that at least the kernel is the same.

I'm not one of the camera insiders, so I don't know what the camera document says. But if for example they say "do rpi-update" that will put you in a different place this week, than it did last month when recantha did his setup, due to the intervening updates.

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 am

No luck. Brand new image card, all commands run in order.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #408 PREEMPT Wed Apr 10 20:33:39 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ /opt/vc/bin/raspicam -o test.jpg

RaspiStill Camera App
=====================

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component

jbeale

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 am

mappler wrote:pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #408 PREEMPT Wed Apr 10 20:33:39 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
Clearly recantha did not use an April 10 kernel when he got his camera working last month. I do not know what specific testing goes on before releases happen, but I'm wondering if you may actually be an alpha tester relative to camera usage with that particular kernel / firmware.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:42 am

Sorry,

I've been stuck having 'fun' in America, but will wade in on the topic... Turns out the instructions I gave you were somewhat incorrect, blame Rob he tested them!

After doing the rpi-update you need to edit the config.txt file and add

start_file=start_x.elf
start_fixup=fixup_x.dat

Do this and try again, hopefully soon Dom will be able to wade in a help out!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

recantha2

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:59 am

jbeale wrote:The only person "in the wild" blogging about a working RPi camera that I know of is recantha2 / Michael H. So I think it would be quite interesting to compare the result of 'uname -a' on his system, with those who are having trouble. Just to confirm that at least the kernel is the same.

I'm not one of the camera insiders, so I don't know what the camera document says. But if for example they say "do rpi-update" that will put you in a different place this week, than it did last month when recantha did his setup, due to the intervening updates.

I did do an update recently to make sure I had the latest version of the demo scripts. Here's the uname
Linux spacepi 3.6.11+ #403 PREEMPT Tue Apr 2 22:48:13 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

Paul Webster

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 am

How about if someone with the problem made an image of their SD card and then made that image available to RPi Foundation to download?
This would allow testing against known good hardware.

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 am

Paul Webster wrote:How about if someone with the problem made an image of their SD card and then made that image available to RPi Foundation to download?
This would allow testing against known good hardware.
Happy to do that this evening if the foundation think it will help?

jamesh

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 am

gsh wrote:Sorry,

I've been stuck having 'fun' in America, but will wade in on the topic... Turns out the instructions I gave you were somewhat incorrect, blame Rob he tested them!

After doing the rpi-update you need to edit the config.txt file and add

start_file=start_x.elf
start_fixup=fixup_x.dat

Do this and try again, hopefully soon Dom will be able to wade in a help out!

Gordon
Has anyone with problems tried this yet?

It looks like the standard start.elf doesn't have the camera drive installed, but start_x.elf/fixup_x.dat does. Which would explain the problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

X-post, but yeah I tried this and rebooted on all my rebuilds with no luck.

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 am

That works great! Edit /boot/config.txt with the two lines referenced above and reboot.

We haven't tried on any other SD card but the one we installed fresh last night. Amy has to go to school...:)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am

*Waves* - hi Amy!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Yay!! Glad you guys got it working!

Did you just add the statements to the bottom of the config file?

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm

And is it just me, or does Amy have a hint of Lady Ada about her??

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm

aframe wrote:Yay!! Glad you guys got it working!

Did you just add the statements to the bottom of the config file?
Yep, that was all we did. We'll try some other SD card / Pi hardware combinations later tonight (US / East Coast).

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm

So let me make sure I've done this the same as you guys, cause I'm fairly sure that now you've got it working it must be something I'm doing incorrectly.

1. Downloaded the most recent version of Wheezy.
2. Wrote that to an SD card.
3. Booted off the new image
4. Expanded the FS using the standard raspi-config
5. I changed the GPU split to 256mb - what's yours?
6. Edit the network_interfaces and wpa_supplicant.conf to enable wifi.
7. Rebooted.
8. sudo apt-get update
9. sudo apt-get upgrade
10. sudo apt-get install git-core
11. wget'd rpi-update from goo.gl/1BOfJ
12. +x'd rpi-update and sudo ran it.
13. sudo added start_file=start_x.elf and start_fixup=fixup_x.dat to the bottom of /boot/config.txt
14. Ran /opt/vc/bin/raspicam -o filename.jpg (as pi?)

And then everything worked?

Sorry for the listmania but I can look at this when I get home and try it again if that's the case.

Thanks

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:00 pm

That is correct. Started with a blank SD card for this last night.
I did not change anything on the GPU split, so ours is whatever the default is.

jamesh

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Just for informational purposes, I did all the dev work on a 256MB Model B with 128 split. (actually, board #000000000000001)
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I've tried two SD cards now. One is the clean install from last night, the other is a card we've been using for a while now. Both cards work.

I've tried two Pi's now. However, only 1 works! The firmware update was done with both boards. I am using the same SD cards in each instance.

The board that works is a much new "Made in the UK" board. The board that does not work is my orignal "Made in China" board. They are both Model B.

Any ideas? Aframe, what age board do you have?

-Matt

jbeale

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:27 pm

mappler wrote:I've tried two SD cards now. One is the clean install from last night, the other is a card we've been using for a while now. Both cards work.
I've tried two Pi's now. However, only 1 works! The firmware update was done with both boards. I am using the same SD cards in each instance.
The board that works is a much new "Made in the UK" board. The board that does not work is my orignal "Made in China" board. They are both Model B.
Note that the older "Revision 1" Model B and the newer "Revision 2" Model B are different. The Rev 2 was announced in Sept. 2012 http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1929 which is also when production started in Pencoed, so I think all the "Made in UK" boards are Rev 2.

The R-Pi has two separate I2C data interfaces. The camera is controlled by commands going across an I2C interface. Referring to p.4 on the two schematics, you will notice that the Camera Connector (S5) pins 13/14 carry SCL1/SDA1 on Rev.1 (so the camera is on I2C Bus #1), but those same pins carry SCL0,SDA0 on Rev.2 (so the camera uses I2C Bus #0). For this reason, for the Rev.1 board to work with the camera, I believe it would need a different software configuration than Rev.2 does.

Rev.1 Schematic: http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... s-R1.0.pdf
Rev.2 Schematic: http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... .2_027.pdf
Rpi-R1.jpg
Rev.1 Schematic detail
Rpi-R1.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
RPi-R2.jpg
Rev.2 Schematic detail
RPi-R2.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 10831 times

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:46 pm

I execute cat /proc/cpuinfo on both hardware platforms.
The only difference (aside from the serial number of course) is the 2nd to last "Revision" number.
The working board is 000f
The non-working board is 000e

The link
-Matt

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Another note. The "finger capacitance red light" thing ONLY occurs with the non-working board. I'm not sure how this is relevant, but thought I would share.

jamesh

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Note that I did the dev work for the apps on a very early revision board (serial number 1), but the code will also work on the very latest boards as well.

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Wahay!!!!!! It works!!

I went through the same ritual I did yesterday - going through the list I put up earlier and it didn't work - on my Rev2 board.

Stuck the SD card in the Rev1 and plugged the camera in and it worked! Tres bizarre. I did do one thing slightly differently, the order of the config.txt changes. Though that seems to be insignificant looking through other posts.

Say hello to the Monkay!
Attachments
success2.jpg
success2.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 10780 times

Return to “Camera board”