liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Camera competition winners' thread

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Here's a thread for discussion and sharing of *stuff* from the winners of the camera competition. Yay!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

walternzani

Re: Camera competition winners' thread

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Does the camera automatically attach itself to /dev/video0 or do you have to do something special to make it work?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm

At the moment the camera isn't plumbed in to the Linux video subsystems - it's something I hope the community will be able to do as I don't have the relevant experience. For the moment you can use the supplied Linux apps which allow you to take images or video. They should also be a good base on which to build the V4L stuff, code's pretty simple and (I hope) well documented.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bspratt

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm going to take on the V4L work (I don't have the relevant experience either, but that never stops me). I'm completely new to RPi (but not linux), can you point me at the repo you reference, with the docs etc? Or were you just thinking google? I don't mind spelunking but I figure you've already put a little thought into this. Thanks. (Camera arrived yesterday, thanks!)

gordon77

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:46 pm

jamesh wrote:At the moment the camera isn't plumbed in to the Linux video subsystems - it's something I hope the community will be able to do as I don't have the relevant experience. For the moment you can use the supplied Linux apps which allow you to take images or video. They should also be a good base on which to build the V4L stuff, code's pretty simple and (I hope) well documented.
Will it be accessible from python, for example pygame.camera ?

Gordon77

jamesh

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Example code

https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland ... s/raspicam

It's all written in C as a basic command line app, and I don't think it would take long to wrap some Python around it.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gordon77

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

jamesh wrote:Example code

https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland ... s/raspicam

It's all written in C as a basic command line app, and I don't think it would take long to wrap some Python around it.
Thanks, hopefully someone out there who knows what "wrap some Python around it" means will do that :D

Gordon77

aframe

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Hey all!

Just going through some issues with mine at the minute, but Gordon is kindly helping me out - hope he's not on his holidays!!

I'll report back with some progress (pics and vids hopefully) soon!

Adam

recantha2

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 am

I've wrapped both Python and PHP around the raspicam script call... sort of. At the moment, they just issue shell commands in their respective ways. I have no idea if this is the most efficient way... I suspect not ;-)
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

bspratt

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:41 pm

So your camera just worked? So far you may be the only one making progress from what I can tell.

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm

bspratt wrote:So your camera just worked? So far you may be the only one making progress from what I can tell.
All the ones I have tested 'just worked' as well. It's intriguing..

recantha2

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:49 pm

bspratt wrote:So your camera just worked? So far you may be the only one making progress from what I can tell.
Yep, it just worked. I did follow the instructions to the letter, with a new distro and updates, the works.
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

liz

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Ditto all the ones we've had in the office - they all "just worked". We're watching with great interest!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

bspratt

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:20 pm

How frustrating. I too followed the instructions to the letter. Presumably all the units were tested before going out, what could so many of us be doing wrong?

bspratt

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I should add that this is on a brand-spanking-new Model B. It's only ever been used for this purpose, so it has a clean Raspian install per the Quick Start instructions, and of course the updates as prescribed. I can't help but wonder if there isn't some system dependency we're unaware of - that's a common birthing pain when a developer hands off code. If you haven't already done so at the office, could you try this clean start scenario and see how it goes?

I should also add that:
I have not seen the finger capacitance phenomenon.
The LED is not lit on my camera though it does flash briefly on power-up.
After the initial failure I reseated the connector at the camera.
Yes, I have turned it off and on again ;)

As another tester has already tried swapping out the RPi itself, I wonder if you might possibly send a known-good camera for swap testing.

I'll also have a go at it in gdb in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Brian

Graz

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Having spent several years in the RMA/Failure Analysis departments of both Intel and Motorola as a Debug/Test Engineer let's start with the basics:
(Assuming all shipped modules were operational before shipment....I know, one should never assume)

1. Are the camera modules susceptible to Electro Static Discharge (ESD)? If yes, have all users with failing modules followed the necessary ESD precautions and was suitable packaging used during shipment?
2. If it's possible to insert the camera cable 'the wrong way around' or skewed, is this detrimental to the camera module. In other words if you do power up the RPI with the camera module cable in backwards/skewed does it cause permanent and lasting damage?
3. Are there similar connectors on the RPI which can also accept the camera module cable? If yes, would these cause permanent damage to the camera module if used?

I'll happily test these scenarios and report back if someone ships me a working camera module....I'll even pay for it if it still works afterwards :D

Congrats to everyone involved in the RPI Foundation - it's fantastic!

bspratt

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Useful insights, thanks. As an EE myself, I can say:

I don't know if the camera was tested before shipment.
The camera arrived in an ordinary bubblewrap-lined mailer with no ESD protection envelope.
I did follow ESD precautions per long established habit.
I was careful to put the cable into the right socket, the right way round, at right angles.

(Also, as an aside, given the educational intent of RPi, I can imagine a lot of trouble if the camera can't be safely jammed into the wrong socket sideways and backward, and possibly covered in grape jelly...)

Brian

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 am

James, What are the dependencies of the programs?
Is there any way you can generate a script that will report what files are needed that we could then run against our systems?

jamesh

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 am

aframe wrote:James, What are the dependencies of the programs?
Is there any way you can generate a script that will report what files are needed that we could then run against our systems?
The programs require the standard Brcm libraries (/opt/vc/..) on any standard install. If the programs run (even if they give a camera failure error) then you have everything installed.

There is a dependency in the GPU binary blob, the latest version includes the camera driver, previous versions didn't.

jamesh

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 am

Here is a post from Gordon that may help...
Sorry,

I've been stuck having 'fun' in America, but will wade in on the topic... Turns out the instructions I gave you were somewhat incorrect, blame Rob he tested them!

After doing the rpi-update you need to edit the config.txt file and add

start_file=start_x.elf
start_fixup=fixup_x.dat

Do this and try again, hopefully soon Dom will be able to wade in a help out!

Gordon

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 am

Yeah I got the above from Gordon a few days ago via email and unfortunately didn't make any difference to my tests.

bspratt

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:44 pm

I still have the sense, especially after reading Gordon's message, that there are unknown system dependencies. Not link dependencies, necessarily, but perhaps further config issues. It does sound like no one at RPi has attempted a camera install lately starting with an empty SD card, I think that could be fruitful. It's just so easy to build up a development system with hidden dependencies, without realizing it. Then it's the old "huh, works fine on my box..." problem.
Thanks,
Brian

jamesh

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

aframe wrote:Yeah I got the above from Gordon a few days ago via email and unfortunately didn't make any difference to my tests.
It has though made a difference to other people who have now got their cameras working....so not sure what is going on at your end.

mappler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:01 pm

bspratt wrote:I still have the sense, especially after reading Gordon's message, that there are unknown system dependencies. Not link dependencies, necessarily, but perhaps further config issues. It does sound like no one at RPi has attempted a camera install lately starting with an empty SD card, I think that could be fruitful. It's just so easy to build up a development system with hidden dependencies, without realizing it. Then it's the old "huh, works fine on my box..." problem.
Thanks,
Brian
We started with blank SD card last night and now have it working. So, I think the process does work now for a fresh installation with no additional dependancies other than what is documented.

-Matt

aframe

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm

I can almost guarantee it will be user error on my part.

I'm going to go through it all again tonight, though I have started with a fresh install a couple of times...

Return to “Camera board”