marciano

IMX219 10s photo takes 100s to finish

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:11 pm

RPi 3B IMX219

Code: Select all

raspistill -o photo.jpg -md 2 -ISO 100 -ss 10000000
I get an image which Exposure Time is 10 seconds.
But the command ran for 1m42s (102 seconds)
Why is that?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: IMX219 10s photo takes 100s to finish

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:46 am

Please use the search. I've covered the mode switching required numerous times.
Burst mode, fixed analogue gain, and either fixed AWB or -st for a stats pass.

viewtopic.php?p=1663899#p1663899
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jamesh

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:27 am

6by9 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:46 am
Please use the search. I've covered the mode switching required numerous times.
Burst mode, fixed analogue gain, and either fixed AWB or -st for a stats pass.

viewtopic.php?p=1663899#p1663899
I wonder where we could stuff that in to the docs, really needs to be easier to find than something in the forums. A sort of camera hints and tips page I guess. I'll have a think.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

marciano

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi, thanks for your help.
I did browse the docs
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pistill.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /camera.md
and used the search but probably with not that good keywords.
Last edited by marciano on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JovianPyx

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:13 pm

I too needed information along these lines. I have to say that posting to "please use the search" is tantamount to the rudeness of "RTFM" and I always thought that this was supposed to be a friendly place. Oh and you can use the search to find my post where that happened to me as well.

I agree fully with jamesh. When it is noticed that the same information is asked for repeatedly, perhaps an FAQ is needed or additional downloadable documentation. Then instead of saying "please use the search", a simple link to the appropriate FAQ works a charm.

It's one thing to be a Raspberry Pi Engineer and know where this stuff is because you work with it all the time, but another thing to come here and use the search engine without having a handle on search terms that are winners versus those that are losers. It is important to remember that some people come here as complete noobies and often just starting a search can be daunting. Add to that the nature of fora like this one which is that while the information may be here, it is usually spread across multiple posts or topics in which incorrect and inaccurate information may be found and it isn't always obvious what is what in that regard.

I think it is important to remember that the Raspberry Pi, while a powerful computer, is used by many if not most for something fun. Let's please all help to keep it that way.

BTW, in the post to which I refer, you will also see that I tried to post a synopsis of what I learned to make it a bit easier for the next person who asks the question I had.

Return to “Camera board”