bazzlad

Need advice for Camera Software - live stream to TV without delay

Wed May 13, 2020 4:54 pm

What I thought would be a very simple task has ended up with my being frustrated and confused.
There are more ways of streaming/sharing the stream from a Raspi Camera board than I care to mention, but none seem to fit the bill.

All I want to do is:
Use the Raspi and Camera board to stream to a TV with as little delay as possible, (within the same location, not online).

Using eth/wifi - no cables.

Does anyone have any enough experience with this to make a recommendation?
Getting a stream is easy. Getting a decent lag free stream is hard - getting it to a TV after that seems to be the hardest part of all.

I've tried RPi-Cam-Web-Interface, setting up a RTMP stream, mjpg-streamer, motion amongst others.

It's looking like this is my best option:
https://github.com/rodizio1/EZ-WifiBroadcast

But that requires using 2 Raspberry Pis, something I'm willing (but not keen) to do.

cleveridiot

Re: Need advice for Camera Software - live stream to TV without delay

Fri May 15, 2020 1:29 pm

A TV is just a monitor so you will need some stream receiver hooked up to your tv. I have an Android TV so I can use VLC or even Kodi to receive my streaming pi in my attic.

What do you intend to use as stream receiver?

bazzlad

Fri May 15, 2020 4:10 pm

I was hoping to use a chromecast, though that adds complications, or just a browser would be ideal.

Dragontail281

Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm

If you add a browser to your TV, you can use MotionEyeOS.
The main interface for MotionEyeOS is web based, so once you log in, you can see the video stream.
When I do it from my PC in my home office, or even on my phone, the camera I have in my garage is almost instant for the view.

Return to “Camera board”