pootle

focus with long lens on HQ camera board...

Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm

To get focus on infinity with the long lens and the near - far adjuster about 1/4 in from far, I have the adapter in the camera board as far out as it will go (only 1 1/2 turns from falling out) and still I have to have the lens.only about 1 turn from falling out of the adapter. I can screw both in a bit more if I move the near - far adjuster towards near, but I would expect the lens' optics to be set up for infinity to be not far from the far limit.

Is this the way it is? If so I would rather have an adapter for the camera board that has a bit more depth to it, so things are more secure.

btw, I get .revision from picamera as 'testc'. Is this a temporary aberration?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: focus with long lens on HQ camera board...

Mon May 04, 2020 3:02 pm

pootle wrote:
To get focus on infinity with the long lens and the near - far adjuster about 1/4 in from far, I have the adapter in the camera board as far out as it will go (only 1 1/2 turns from falling out) and still I have to have the lens.only about 1 turn from falling out of the adapter. I can screw both in a bit more if I move the near - far adjuster towards near, but I would expect the lens' optics to be set up for infinity to be not far from the far limit.

Is this the way it is? If so I would rather have an adapter for the camera board that has a bit more depth to it, so things are more secure.
Sounds odd, will ask around.
pootle wrote:
btw, I get .revision from picamera as 'testc'. Is this a temporary aberration?
Fixed internally, so temporary.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

6by9

Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 pm

What lens? It sounds like you may have a C mount lens and aren't using the c to Cs mount adapter. That makes a 5mm difference in the flange distance.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

SloPOS

Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 pm

Just got my cam and lens in; I tried to use a security camera CS mount lens but cannot pull focus at any range. Going to try to 3d print a tube adapter to see if I can pull it out a few mm.

This is the lens:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D66Z7FD?

pootle

solved: focus with long lens on HQ camera board...

Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 am

Ah! the blinding light! Hadn't realised that adapter had the same thread both ends! That's just fine and dandy now. Works a treat.

Thanks 6by9

Return to “Camera board”