rudiratlos

Information overlay

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 am

Hi,

whould be nice to have an API to the camera driver to write informational data into the camera stream.

I'm thinking about to put the rpi camera with rpi board in a small vehicle, drone, plane..., writing gps data, heading information.... into the camera stream, compress the stream and stream the video over a wireless module.

Gert van Loo

Re: Information overlay

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 pm

The GPU has specially build hardware to do this. It will do all the difficult part of putting image A on top of image B. All you have to do is tell it where A is and where B is.
So the question is again: how does the ARM tell the GPU to do that. API, interfaces, protocols: the usual SW nightmare.

cabe

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am

I hadn't thought of overlaying graphics, this could be quite cool for my end game of a car data logger with a GPS, accelerometer for g-meter, gyro for angular momentum, and a camera to record a lap video.

Artists Rendition :)

tonyhughes

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 am

I use dailyroads voyager on my Galaxy Note2 as a dashcam, but Android apps cant overlay the video with info (speed/location/time/date etc), so it has to be done off-handset using a PC or a cloud service.

I'd love to build a dashcam out of an RPi, and have data WiFi'd up to my phone or my server (when the car arrives home and the Pi is within WiFi range).

Return to “Camera board”