tstorzuk

Older Raspberry Pi - will new Camera Work?

Wed May 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Good Morning All,

I have a few questions, that I hope some of you experts can answer.

I have several old Raspberry Pi boards (Model B Rev 2.0). I'd like to try using them for video surveillance. But before I start I'd like to make sure I'm heading down a path that makes sense/is worthwhile/cost effective.

Will the latest camera work with these older boards or do I have to buy older cameras (if older, which version)?
Will these older boards be able to run the newer software required to make them work together and record video, or do I need to run older software from the repository (if older, which version)?
Will it be possible to record the video to a USB HDD (or will that be a potential bottleneck)?
Do I have to have it connected to a network for it to run, or can it run independently?

Are there any other possible issues that I'm not seeing/thinking of?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I've been out of the loop for quite a while.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Older Raspberry Pi - will new Camera Work?

Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

The Pi camera modules are compatible with all variants of Pi that have a camera connector (ie not the earlier PiZeros).

It would be prudent to update the software, and certainly they need to be on a release from after the Pi and camera module were released. If this is a new project then the simplest option is to take the latest Raspbian image.

USB can be a bottleneck, but should be fine for H264 encoded video (typically <25Mbit/s).

No network is required, but that does mean you won't have the option of synchronising the time on your device. You may wish to investigate battery powered RTCs.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

tstorzuk

Re: Older Raspberry Pi - will new Camera Work?

Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Awesome, thanks for all your responses. This is the path I'm going to take then.

byroncar

Older Raspberry Pi will new Camera Work

Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 am

Hi everybody.

are there any news on this camera?

I am close to invest in a new sensor, but before I start, would like to know if this camera would see the light soon.
if that's the case I'm patient.

thank you very much

Andyroo

Re: Older Raspberry Pi will new Camera Work

Wed May 15, 2019 2:29 am

byroncar wrote:
Hi everybody.

are there any news on this camera?

I am close to invest in a new sensor, but before I start, would like to know if this camera would see the light soon.

thank you very much
The folk from Pi never give release hints on here - the blog gives the announcements. They never even give hints as to what may be coming :cry:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

rpdom

Re: Older Raspberry Pi will new Camera Work

Wed May 15, 2019 3:47 am

byroncar wrote:
Which camera?

The OP asked if the v2 camera will work on an early Pi. The answer was that it will. The v2 camera has been available for a long time now.
Signature is on holiday.

Return to “Camera board”