smumpy

Camera Stream Feed Appearing Backwards [SOLVED]

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 am

So I have an Adafruit 2.8" resistive touchscreen display hooked up to a Raspberry Pi Zero running Raspbian stretch full os, with a PiNoIR camera that is programmed to stream on boot streaming through VLC, I have a full step by step on how I set it up here:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=225474

And generally it works fine, however, one aspect I cannot seem to fix is that no matter the camera rotation nor the direction the camera is facing, the display either appears right-side-up but backwards (left side is featuring on right and vice versa) or upside-down but the right and left directions are correct.

Essentially I'm wondering if there is a way that I could potentially flip the console's direction so that it shows right to left instead of left to right as it is now? this would solve the problem without having to delve into why it's not working in the first place.

otherwise wondering if someone can take a look at the link, or if anyone has any inclination already, and discover why this is happening in the first place.

Thank you in advance for your patience and assistance.
Last edited by smumpy on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera Stream Feed Appearing Backwards

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am

Reading the linked thread it includes the command

Code: Select all

raspivid -fps 25 -w 320 -h 240 -t 0 --vflip -o - |/usr/bin/cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554/}' :demux=h264
See that --vflip option, it's flipping the image vertically. You probably don't want that, or you want to add --hflip as well to give an overall 180degree rotation.

Either that or you are using the camera to look at yourself as if a mirror, and you're used to a mirror flipping the image horizontally. At which point you want to add the --hflip again.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

smumpy

Re: Camera Stream Feed Appearing Backwards

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 pm

dude thank you, that makes so much sense, smart cookie

Return to “Camera board”