il_diavolo

Official camera not working after update/upgrade

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:54 pm

My set up is Raspbian Stretch on a Pi 3B. For the past couple of years I have been successfully using two cameras, the official CSI camera (mark 1 version) for shape recognition and an old Logitec webcam for colour recognition, both using Python 2.7, OpenCV version 3.3.0 and v4l2 (initiated with "sudo modprobe bcm2835-v4l2"). I originally set this up in Wheezy, upgraded to Jessie and then to Stretch about a year ago.

However, recent attempts to carry out normal regular apt-get update + upgrade of Stretch always result in the CSI camera ceasing to work. However the web cam continues to work as normal

"cap = cv2.VideoCapture(index)" followed by "success, frame = cap.read()" in a "while" loop fails for the CSI camera, "success" reading False. ("index" is 0 for the web cam and 1 for the CSI camera when both are plugged in to the Pi.)

This would seem to be a problem with either the v4l2 driver or OpenCV as the camera works correctly using "raspistill -t 2000 -o test.jpg" in a terminal window so it's not a connection or hardware fault.

I have tried 3 different CSI cameras and 2 different Pi's. I have also downloaded a fresh install of Stretch from raspberrypi.org and installed OpenCV on it but the problem persists.

I'd be most grateful if anyone could help me sort this out.

Thanks

Return to “Camera board”