Edeard95

RasPiRaw camera compatibility

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Link to original thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=109137&start=500

I have a sensor which I'm trying to link up to my PI via the CSI port. I was hoping that someone could help me out by pointing me in the right direction with steps on how to add this sensors compatibility.

I know that 6by9 isn't keen to be bombarded by requests to add sensor abc123 to his base function code, so pointers/general procedures are welcome.

If anyone would like to give more specific help, the sensor i have is from the SONY A380 DSLR. I've found the firmware on their website to work backwards from to build the right compatibility.

Thanks in advance

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: RasPiRaw camera compatibility

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Have you got any electrical information on the sensor itself? A pinout would be a start.
Dslrs rarely use csi2 sensors as the spec was written for mobile sensors, and there are faster interfaces around if you are designing custom asics.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Edeard95

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for replying!

I am working on finding a pinout diagram, seems to be a guarded secret for a 10 year old component.

As far as the CSI port goes, I have managed to slide a CSI cable into the only apparent slot on the sensor without much difficulty.

I will get back to you when I find more technical information.

6by9

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:25 am

There are no standard pinout for those flexi cables, and there are many different pitches of the conductors within them too. Particularly in a dslr I'd expect it to be a finer pitch than the standard camera connector on the Pi.

Be very careful plugging in random cables - there is a high risk of shorts or otherwise blowing up either or both of the devices.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Camera board”