Zuifer

HDMI In over camera interface possible?

Fri May 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Hello,

is it possible to use the camera interface to pass to the gpu for video encoding.
I often liked the idea using the raspberry with a good camera like lumix or else to capture the hdmi and streaming it.
There are pcie cards and usb solutions.
Is it really so hard to convert hdmi to usb 3 and get the raw frames on the computer?
And is the camera interface capable of understanding or even processing the signals?
I am no expert, but this was always of interest for me.
But I think if it would be easy, somebody had already done this.
Just asking and dreaming :)

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI In over camera interface possible?

Sat May 05, 2018 5:35 am

Zuifer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:46 pm
is it possible to use the camera interface to pass to the gpu for video encoding.
I often liked the idea using the raspberry with a good camera like lumix or else to capture the hdmi and streaming it.
There are pcie cards and usb solutions.
Is it really so hard to convert hdmi to usb 3 and get the raw frames on the computer?
That's plausible, but the Pi doesn't have USB3. 1080P60 as RGB888 is 2.8Gbit/s, so is over 50% of USB3's absolute max of 5Gbit/s.
Zuifer wrote:And is the camera interface capable of understanding or even processing the signals?
Not natively as it is CSI-2 instead of HDMI, but there is a bridge chip available. See viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702. Supported drivers for it should be merged in the next week or two - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/2513
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Camera board”