bantammenace2012

Image stabilisation

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Is there an image orientation sensor or any image stabilisation in the camera module ? If not are there any such features on the RPi that might perform those functions ? My real reason for asking is an interest in sensor fusion that would lead to using a RPi as a relative positioning system. I note that some top end phones have in-built accelerometers, gyros, companies, gps etc.

Unhban

Re: Image stabilisation

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm

I see that with YouTube there is an option to provide image stabilisation on your vid after it's been uploaded. It does it by using a slightly smaller area of your vid so that the stabilisation has room to move around - it's pretty good. So what I'm saying is that the Pi will be able to do it with the correct programming. 8-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Unhban wrote:I see that with YouTube there is an option to provide image stabilisation on your vid after it's been uploaded. It does it by using a slightly smaller area of your vid so that the stabilisation has room to move around - it's pretty good. So what I'm saying is that the Pi will be able to do it with the correct programming. 8-)
We do have video stabilisation on the GPU that works like that, but it's never been tuned for this sensor. Not as good as physically moving stuff, but not too bad.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

cabe

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am

I do hope that work on this is continued. Image stabilisation done at time of capture, even electronic like this is usually superior to attempting it in post.

Of course the reverse is that if the software gets it wrong, it's harder to fix it in post.

rew

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

That is not completely true. Depending on the hardware, the "at the time of capture" stabilisation might be doing exactly the same as the post-processing.

On the other hand, the post-processing stabilisation has access to "future frames". So for example it can recognise that you started panning to the right, and are not shaking right at a certain point in time.

But for at-the-time-of-capture stabilisation, it's easy to move the "area to grab" around on the sensor. Thus you don't have to drop a bunch of pixels on the sides possibly followed by scaling the whole image to make up for it.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

jbeale

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 am

One advantage time-of-capture stabilization in the GPU has, is that it can work with the raw data, perhaps even before the de-bayer step. Post-processing means working from debayered and lossy-compressed data so it is a few steps removed from the sensor data.

jamesh

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:17 pm

It's done after bebayering, at the SW stage in the ISP I think, so is working on YUV420 data (uncompressed). I seem to remember enabling the option in the camera app. Never tried it though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

matias

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 am

Could anyone confirm that the video stabilization actually works? I don't seem to see any difference with -vs or without it in raspivid. For starters: field of view doesn't seem to change.

Return to “Camera board”