John Public

Turn night-time camera (noir-camera) camera to daylight camera

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

Is there a way to Turn night-time camera (noir-camera) camera to daylight camera. Is there same raspistill option or other setup setting I could get is to work like a daylight camera? I've taken off the ir-lamps.

jgreen71

Re: Turn night-time camera (noir-camera) camera to daylight camera

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 pm

If it is a true "No-IR" Raspberry Pi camera, then it has had the infrared filter removed. That's all. So just figure out what filter needs to be added, and you are good.

But it sounds like you had some sort of "night vision" camera with IR lamps surrounding it. Are you sure it is a true "No-IR"?

John Public

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm

The camera module I have is same as this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pi-came ... st=ae803_2

What do you mean remove filter? A physical filter under the lens or use a software setting?

maddogdave

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:57 pm

It's a physical filter in front of the imaging sensor, usually glass and a pale cyan in colour. It's purpose is to block certain wavelengths in the IR range from reaching the sensor. If you take apart an old broken camera / camcorder you'll find it inside every device. Although you'll probably destroy the device trying to extract it. You could try adding one in front of the lens on your camera module as a test.
Or alternatively try any pale blue / cyan colour correction filter or experiment with white balance and image processing if you're not too concerned about how true the colours are. But if you can rescue a true filter from a broken device that's probably the best option without resorting to purchasing a standard camera module.
Dave

gkaiseril

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 am

Camera stores sell IR filters that can be placed in front of camera lenses and they come in glass and plastic and also in screw in round and square for use with a filter holder. These filters should be much more serviceable than than one harvested from a broken camera.

The official RPF IR camera cones with an IR filter.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

B.Goode

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 am

gkaiseril wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 am

The official RPF IR camera cones with an IR filter.
That is not what the official Raspberry Pi product pages say.

From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-noir-camera-v2/
The infrared Camera Module v2 (Pi NoIR) replaced the original PiNoIR Camera Module in April 2016. The v2 Pi NoIR has a Sony IMX219 8-megapixel sensor (compared to the 5-megapixel OmniVision OV5647 sensor of the original camera).

The Pi NoIR gives you everything the regular Camera Module offers, with one difference: it does not employ an infrared filter. (NoIR = No Infrared.) This means that pictures you take by daylight will look decidedly curious, but it gives you the ability to see in the dark with infrared lighting.

gkaiseril

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 pm

My NoIR V2 from element14 came with the filter.
Last edited by gkaiseril on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

rpdom

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 pm
My NoIR V2 from element14 came with the filter.
Some of them come with an optional filter that can be used for special lighting effects. The standard camera has a filter stuck to the lens. The NoIR camera doesn't.

John Public

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:36 pm

The camera that I bough from Aliexpress has its lens screwed on. I removed it and as far as I can see the lens does not have a filter. The lens part is clear and hollow. The flat sensor does not have a filter. I just see the minuscule sensor element and if it had a filter it would have to be glued on the sensor which would probably destroy the sensor element.

B.Goode

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I, for one, replied on the assumption that you had bought an official Raspberry Pi Foundation camera module from an alternative source. That was the reason why my reply heavily quoted from the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation.

I have now checked your link and see that it is a third-party product which is sold as being 'compatible with' a Raspberry Pi.

So I think it is safe to say that any replies based on knowledge of the Raspberry Pi Foundation product are irrelevant and potentially misleading.

Queries about the features and abilities of your purchase are best raised with the supplier.

PiGraham

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 pm

You can put an IR blocking filter in front of the lens. Some third party lens assemblies have a mechanically switchable IR block filter. You could attach a filter to a servo arm to move it in and out.
Note you need a IR blocking filter not an IR pass filter to make a NOIR camera produce normal daylight colour images.
You should read NOIR as "No-IR bolcking filter" rather than "No IR". The NOIR camera IS sensitive tio IR light. The standard camra is NOT sensitive to IR.

Something like this should work (no guarantee)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-UV-IR ... SwhvFZDGi6
Color: Show as Picture
Material: Optical Glass
Product Size: 9.5 * 9.5 * 1 mm
Tavg > 95% @ 440-620nm
T = 50% @ 648 + -15 nm
Tavg <1 @ 700-1000nm
T: <1% @ 1050nm

Packing List: 1 x Optical UV Filter

If you wanted to take IR photos, where foliage is bright and the sky is dark, you could try an IR Pass filer with the NOIR to block visible light.

Maybe something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Infra-re ... 3641.l6368

Return to “Camera board”