britstanger

exposure_speed drops to some fixed value

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 am

Hello
We have been using the RasPiCam V1.3 with Python-picamera, to try and take some consistent brightness images of a known brightness source. We have used the command camera.shutter_speed = x to set the exposure time, where x is in µs, and fixed the analogue gains with camera.exposure_mode = 'off'. We are retrieving raw information for the images , so no digital processing should be done to the signals before we save the data.

However when taking images we noticed that the measured brightness of the source was dropping by a consistent amount each frame until it reached some stable level. we discovered that on the first frame the property exposure_speed was equal to the property we set;
shutter_speed, but then for each subsequent frame we captured exposure_speed reduced by 30 µs until it reached a certain value. The values we have found where the exposure_speed is happy to operate without dropping are (in µs):
Does anyone know what significance these stable values have, and how we can predict which other values are going to be stable?
Also is this a bug or are we trying to set the exposure time in the wrong manner?

Leigh

habropoda

Re: exposure_speed drops to some fixed value

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:07 am

Possibly a bug. I was seeing something like this and the code in this post was a workaround:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=156159#p1020690
(hint: pootlepics does not import. It works fine without it. He's hung up on poots.)

I posted about a similar problem using raspistill and 6by9's workaround fixed it.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=187976&p=1184955#p1184693
I don't know if that bug was ever fixed.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:34 am

britstanger wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 am
Hello
We have been using the RasPiCam V1.3 with Python-picamera, to try and take some consistent brightness images of a known brightness source. We have used the command camera.shutter_speed = x to set the exposure time, where x is in µs, and fixed the analogue gains with camera.exposure_mode = 'off'. We are retrieving raw information for the images , so no digital processing should be done to the signals before we save the data.

However when taking images we noticed that the measured brightness of the source was dropping by a consistent amount each frame until it reached some stable level. we discovered that on the first frame the property exposure_speed was equal to the property we set;
shutter_speed, but then for each subsequent frame we captured exposure_speed reduced by 30 µs until it reached a certain value. The values we have found where the exposure_speed is happy to operate without dropping are (in µs):
Does anyone know what significance these stable values have, and how we can predict which other values are going to be stable?
Also is this a bug or are we trying to set the exposure time in the wrong manner?
Hmm, there is a rounding calculation done as the exposure is set as a multiple of a line length, and is then converted back out to a time value for metadata. It's possible that the conversion back to time results in a number that ends up rounding down on a subsequent request to convert it back to a number of lines. If "camera.exposure_mode = 'off'" then it shouldn't recalculate things at all, but I'd need to check that.
habropoda wrote:I posted about a similar problem using raspistill and 6by9's workaround fixed it.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=187976&p=1184955#p1184693
I don't know if that bug was ever fixed.
Unrelated, and fixed the next day. That was that the frame length calculation was being clipped incorrectly.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

herbert570

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I found similar behavior for raspberry pi cam v2. The stable exposure_speed after exposure_mode is set to 'off' is
9 or 2363*n - 9
where n = 1,2,3,...
The first couples of such numbers are 9, 2354, 4717, 7080, 9443, 11806, 14169, 16532, 18895, 21258.

I think this might be a bug in the hardware/firmware.

Return to “Camera board”