strawberry

Remove red in daylight Pi noIR camera image

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:28 am

I was wondering if there is a way to automatically (with software) remove the IR (red) from pictures taken with normal daylight using a noIR camera?

I have a normal "commercial" wildlife camera and during the day it will shoot pictures without the infrared but when it gets dark it automatically switches from color to gray scale and turns on IR LEDS. So I wonder how they do that and if it can be done with the Raspberry noIR camera?

sparkyhall

Re: Remove red in daylight Pi noIR camera image

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:08 pm

It is unlikely that you will be able to correct the image with software.

Wildlife cameras have an IR filter that gets placed in front of the camera for daylight images and removed for night time, you can normally hear the filter move by either covering the sensor or moving the camera from light to dark locations.

NotRequired

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Have you tried to open a frame with an image editor like GIMP and apply some color correction to reduce the red component?
Please do not ask questions in private messages, they will not help others.

Gavinmc42

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:52 am

Tiny servo to put IR filter in front of lens is the easiest.
That reddish colour is normally the IR reflected from the plant leaves.
Any pixel that has red could be colored green, so no red cars or flowers or shirts etc.

New sensors with IR as well as RGB are available but not on the Pi.(yet, hint, hint) ;)
Use two image sensors/Zero's, one for daylight, one for night time.

The image sensor data usually comes from the sensor ISP as YUV, so ignore/reduce the V (Red/Magenta) component.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Camera board”