mikenf

Re: STICKY: Pi Zero not seeing camera module? Please read.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 am

Hi, I used oscilloscope to check the situation from hardware view (suggested by Jamesh).

Also I found missing information of the camera module V2: https://hackaday.io/project/19480-raspb ... 1-reversed and mainly schematic what is there: https://cdn.hackaday.io/images/5813621484631479007.jpg

Also I found datasheet to the camera sensor: https://github.com/rellimmot/Sony-IMX21 ... et_XXX.PDF

I can see with oscilloscope that communication on I2C lines (SCL0 and SDA0) is working. On capacitors where should be measurable voltage 1.2V, 1.8V or 2.8V is around 0V. These voltages should power the camera sensor. On the camera board are 3 voltage regulators with enable pin that is connected to pin CAM_GPIO0 (we can name it as CAM_EN). When command raspistill or raspivid starts it reads (or writes) some values from U4 chip (maybe I2C eeprom memory). After than it should change the value on enable pin but in my case unfortunately no change was measured.
Also the enable pin should start oscillator X1 on camera board. Output is going to both camera sensor and pin CAM_GPIO1 (we can name it as CAM_CLK). Also on this pin was measured no signal.
To be complete on CSI-2 lines is no signal but it is clear when camera sensor is not powered.

I will try later to decode the I2C communication to data that can be compared with someone else camera.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 am

If the camera board doesn't work on another Pi with fresh Raspbian, it's broken; it if does, the original PI CSI interface is broken.

Either way, the maximum cost of replacement is $35 or so. About an hour's work.

So probably not cost effective use of time. Of course, doing it for fun is a different proposition
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

mikenf

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Jamesh, PI CSI is probably ok because other camera ZeroCam works on the same PI. You can be right if ZeroCam does not use CAM_GPIO0 (CAM_EN).

I'm doing it mainly for fun. I have learned a lot of fun things about camera and PI. Also I hope my posts could help other people in the feature.

You are right about the cost of time ;)

jamesh

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 am

mikenf wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am
Hi Jamesh, PI CSI is probably ok because other camera ZeroCam works on the same PI. You can be right if ZeroCam does not use CAM_GPIO0 (CAM_EN).

I'm doing it mainly for fun. I have learned a lot of fun things about camera and PI. Also I hope my posts could help other people in the feature.

You are right about the cost of time ;)
What do you mean by ZeroCam? Not a term I am familiar with. We have sold two cameras for the CSI port, the original the OV5647 and the current one, a Sony sensor (IMX219?). Don't think either were called the Zerocam.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

mikenf

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 am

jamesh wrote:
What do you mean by ZeroCam? Not a term I am familiar with. We have sold two cameras for the CSI port, the original the OV5647 and the current one, a Sony sensor (IMX219?). Don't think either were called the Zerocam.
I bought ZeroCam on ThePiHut https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... ry-pi-zero. It is third party 5MP camera.

DougieLawson

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am

jamesh wrote:
Looks like the OP means the standard 5MP OV5647 camera with the alternative ribbon cable?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am

4 cameras if you count the NOIR versions ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

rpdom

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:50 pm

It's a third party one that the Pi Hut do. I've got one on the way for evaluation.

mikenf

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am
Looks like the OP means the standard 5MP OV5647 camera with the alternative ribbon cable?
I just found the same looking camera on https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... era-module.
Only visible difference is that on the camera from Pimoroni is printed "Frank-S01-V1.0" and on camera from ThePiHut is printed "ZeroCam".
In the description is "5MP sensor, 2592x1944 pixels (same as version 1 official Pi camera)".
So you are right - the sensor is OmniVision OV5647.

Elliott B

ENOSPC error

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm having trouble getting the Pi Noir Cam v2.1 to work on my Pi Zero W. I get the ENOSPC error.

I'm running the latest Raspbian Stretch Lite. I've run apt-get update and upgrade, rpi-update. I enabled camera in raspi-config. In my config.txt I have start_x=1 and gpu_mem=256 (I also tried 128). Is there anything else I need to install since this is Raspbian Lite version?

Code: Select all

$ vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=1
$ vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 30
30:009000c1
$ raspistill -o test.jpg
mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates
I have checked the ribbon cable and the tiny (Sunny?) connector. Since vcgencmd get_camera says it's detected, does that mean the connection is good and the camera is not defective? I had the same error with motionEyeOS, so that's why I switched to Raspbian.

As a test, I disconnected the Sunny connector, and I then I get a different result. By the way, why is this connector called "sunny"?

$ raspistill -o test.jpg
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

Elliott B

Re: ENOSPC error

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:46 am

Well in this case it turned out to be a defective camera. Bought a new one and it works.

R_V

Re: Pi Zero not seeing camera module? Please read.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:40 pm

m0ezp wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:58 am
Hi 6by9,
Many thanks for confirming it must be a hardware/connection issue and I understand now that it's not related to the original issue.
Please forgive me for asking a further question as you mentioned a small connector on the camera board. I've just taken photos below - I couldn't spot it at first but I presume its J2 on the camera side. I've had a good look and it seems firmly connected - is that the one?
camera-v2.1.jpg
Thanks again in advance,
David
I had this same problem. connector J2 needed to be push all the way down onto the board.
supported=1 detected=1

Thursten

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Hey Guys,
So this Sticky is indeed very helpful!
I ordered a Pi0W from https://kiwi-electronics.nl and it had this issue, BUT the way I found it was because the Bluetooth nor Wifi devices were detected! Hadn't even tried the camera yet..

But maybe it is a good idea to rename this sticky to also indicate that the Revision problem is happening with people who have the Pi Zero W and can't get the Bluetooth or Wifi to work! 'Cause i have been searching and asking for about 3 days before I found a similar answer over at the Forums of Pimoroni..

So I'm glad I found this, but it would be helpful for others to rename this threat or maybe post one in General Discussions?

Greets,
Thursten

EDIT:
Okay so I've tried the

force_board_rev=0x9000c1
(Since I have a Pi Zero W) in the /boot/config.txt.
And it just hangs during boot on the rainbow Splash, with the blinking ACT LED, 4x slow 4x fast, as I've read elsewhere..

Is there anything I can try? I'm really eager to try and fix this stuff!
Also, is there more information anywhere to read about this force_board_rev config stuff? I've turned the documentation inside and out, but I think this is some sort of to deep level development stuff that is not too public, however, I would love to learn more about these deeper things! =)

Return to “Camera board”