alechk

PiZero: Camera not working and CPU is working way too high!

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:25 pm

I have been using a PiZero plus camera for a couple of weeks. I found the process of attaching the camera cable to camera and to PiZero tricky. I found that the cable had to be pushed in very firmly in order for it to be recognized by the PiZero.
I then attached camera plus PiZero to ViewZero and it appeared to work alright – although I had some difficulty bending the camera cable into a usable position.
Today I tried using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade prior to installing/upgrade the latest version of picamera.
Bad news: the CPU usage shot up to 100% while upgrading and even produced 88% when I opened a new terminal to install the latest version of picamera.
Again the usage shot up to 100% while installing the latest picamera.
When I ran the Python program I just got a long error message and no response from the camera.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution and/or what I could do next!

gregeric

Re: PiZero: Camera not working and CPU is working way too hi

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:56 pm

alechk wrote:I have been using a PiZero plus camera for a couple of weeks. I found the process of attaching the camera cable to camera and to PiZero tricky. I found that the cable had to be pushed in very firmly in order for it to be recognized by the PiZero.
You shouldn't have had a struggle inserting the cable into the Zero. No force is required if you slide the black wedge partially out first. That's out, not up as you sometimes find on those connectors. You can use a small flat-bladed screwdriver - tease out one corner of the black wedge a millimetre or so, then repeat on the other corner. Be careful, as there have been reports of people breaking the thing. Now slide in the cable, and finally push the wedge back in fully.

It may be that the wedge has worked its way out, stopping the camera working? Ensure the cable is fully in, then the wedge, so that it can do its job of pushing the ribbon cable onto the socket's contacts.

It's normal for the cpu to hit 100% while doing apt-get update/grade.

alechk

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks - the advice on connecting the camera cable is greatly appreciated. I just hope I haven't broken the camera or cable.
As to the high CPU usage again thanks I hadn't realised that. I think I was desperately looking for any old explanation for the camera problem. I'll change the cable and see if this makes a difference.

gordon77

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 pm

The camera cable for the Pi zero is a bit tighter in the socket than on the earlier Pi's. It does need a bit more force.

Return to “Camera board”