owen_a

PiCamera and OpenCV

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Hi,

I understand I can't view the PiCamera via camera.start_preview() since I have Remote Desktop-ed into the pi, so I was wondering, if I'm going to use OpenCV or something similar to do Facial Recognition, whatever is displayed in the Window (or on the camera view including the rectangles drawn around the faces) can I stream it so I can view it in VLC so I know if it's detecting faces? Or would it just display the camera feed and not what I draw onto it?

I've noticed when I was running this piece of software written in python from Github, It created a GUI display showing the live camera feed and the speed detection by tracking the object over Remote Desktop albeit quite choppy due to the low Frame rate. If that can do it, can I do something similar?

Thanks,
Owen
Last edited by owen_a on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owen_a

Re: PiCamera and OpenCV? And Streaming view to player

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Anyone?

tonywaite

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi Owen,

It might be worth asking a moderator to transfer this to the 'Hardware/camera' section, which seems to be where the 'vision' geeks hang out.

T o n y

owen_a

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi,

I have been doing a bit of research and I have come across this website which provides a program for basic face detection. This is great because the GUI window it creates displays what I wanted over remote desktop, however, I need to put this "camera" inside a new thread so it isn't inside the main one. This is because I came across an article that demonstrated by putting the camera into a new thread so it wasn't inside the main thread, it actually increased the FPS to about ~50. This is great because I'm planning on doing some basic facial recognition with my Pi in Python.

I want the camera to be on constantly until a face appears that it detects, then it begins to recognise the face, and when it detects who it is, I will be running some other code that I have planned. I've seen articles out there already but they seem to use video files for this or just taking a snapshot of the face which I don't want. I've came across the Magic Mirror also which is written in C (or C++, I can't remember) and that's what I'm sorta trying to do but in Python.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,
Owen

owen_a

Re: PiCamera and OpenCV

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Bump

Return to “Camera board”