NoIR Is Just Confusing!!

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:04 am

Moon Filter - take photos of the moon
Sun Filter - take photos of the sun
Soft Focus Filter - take soft focus photos
Polarized Light Filter - Polarize the light to take reduced reflection photos
IR Filter - Take Infrared photos

But...The Raspberry PI NoIR camera says:
No Infrared Filter so you can take IR photos. wth???

By all standard photography terminology, "No IR" means No Infrared, so you CAN'T take IR photos!
Call it "IR" or "CanIR", but, really, "No IR" means No Infrared as in "Can't do Infrared Photography".
So, yeah, I bought the wrong camera. Now I'm buying the right one. Thank God they're cheap....

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: NoIR Is Just Confusing!!

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:19 am

Yeah, someone was not thinking...

... NO IR means the IR filter is missing from the system... so it becomes VERY sensitive to IR lighting... which makes it ideal for some situations where the photographer does not want to filter IR light.

The downside of the NO IR filter is that color is distorted for normal lighting situations, especially outside. But, inside (under the right lighting) there is no difference at all...

... you can use the NO IR camera to film outside at night (with IR LED flooding) and have sort-of night vision; not really, but you can 'see' things in the dark... like small game, intruders, ghosts (just kidding)

marcus
marcus
:ugeek:

Burngate

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:36 pm

How does "unsharp mask" fit in with your "standard photography terminology"? (That's a sharpening method, and amplifies HF information. Just as NoIR increases the IR information)

stderr

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:07 pm

DaHai8 wrote:But...The Raspberry PI NoIR camera says:
By all standard photography terminology, "No IR" means No Infrared, so you CAN'T take IR photos!
Call it "IR" or "CanIR", but, really, "No IR" means No Infrared as in "Can't do Infrared Photography".
Mark wrote:b]r[/b]ed Filter so you can take IR photos. wth???
By all standard photo
I realise this is a tech geek website, but the name is obviously a pun, "noir" being the French word for black and a word commonly used in English in, for example, "film noir". It isn't uncommon for names of products to be cute or clever or attempts at that sort of thing. It should go without saying that the way you find the right product for the job isn't to just read the name but also to read the specs. I guess you can't keep everyone happy, I thought it was cute and clever.

mikerr

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 pm

The pun almost extends to Pinot Noir... I know Liz is a wine drinker !
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

PiGraham

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:20 pm

DaHai8 wrote:Moon Filter - take photos of the moon
Sun Filter - take photos of the sun
Soft Focus Filter - take soft focus photos
Polarized Light Filter - Polarize the light to take reduced reflection photos
IR Filter - Take Infrared photos

But...The Raspberry PI NoIR camera says:

So, yeah, I bought the wrong camera. Now I'm buying the right one. Thank God they're cheap....
A filter removes something. An IR filter removes IR. A Sun filter removes a lot of light, So "No xx filter" means don't remove xx. Don't remove IR = allow IR to pass. "No polariser" would mean allow all light, of any polarisation, to pass.

So, NoIR means the IR passes through to the sensor, so you can photogram in IR (actually "near IR").

If you add an IR pass filter (also a visible light blocking filter) you tale IR photos. See here:
viewtopic.php?t=60829&p=459723

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaHVeNrUtyw

Douglas6

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:02 pm

And I thought it meant it was well suited to photographing femme fatales in venetian blind shadows, from below.

Return to “Camera board”