jllwton

Zero won't boot with camera attached

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello

I've just taken delivery of a Pi Zero 1.3, installed Raspbian and enabled the camera. So far, so good.

I then shut it down and added the camera module (Raspberry Pi Camera (B) Rev 2.0) connected via an adapter cable (https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... ra-adapter).
After this, the Zero won't power on. Connecting the power, the green LED and keyboard lights flash momentarily before staying off.

After disconnecting the camera, the Pi can be started up normally.

The camera module works fine on a Pi 3 (using a different cable, of course).

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks :D

leol

Re: Zero won't boot with camera attached

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:11 am

Sounds like a power issuer to me.
What are you using to power the zero?

jllwton

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 am

Thank you for your reply. I've tried powering it from my laptop (MacBook Pro), iPad adapter and the adapter which came with my Pi 3. The result is the same in each case.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:11 am

jllwton wrote:Hello

I've just taken delivery of a Pi Zero 1.3, installed Raspbian and enabled the camera. So far, so good.

I then shut it down and added the camera module (Raspberry Pi Camera (B) Rev 2.0) connected via an adapter cable (https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... ra-adapter).
After this, the Zero won't power on. Connecting the power, the green LED and keyboard lights flash momentarily before staying off.

After disconnecting the camera, the Pi can be started up normally.

The camera module works fine on a Pi 3 (using a different cable, of course).

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks :D
Ensure the ZERO is functional as per:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151#p850218
Retired disgracefully.....

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:13 am

Confirm which end the problem lies at - does the Pi boot if the cable is connected but not the camera module at the far end?
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jllwton

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. The Pi boots if the cable is connected to it but not to the camera (ie the camera-end isn't connected to anything).

Other than this issue, the Pi appears to be working perfectly.

fbriggs

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:11 am

I am having the same problem - Pi Zero works fine unless a camera is connected, in which case it won't boot (no green light activity).

jllwton

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:27 am

ThePiHut are sending me a new cable. I'll report back with an update when it arrives.

jllwton

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:18 am

The new cable has arrived, and I'm having exactly the same issue.

fbriggs -- are you also using the Pi Camera (B) Rev 2.0?

start78

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:23 am

You have written "Raspberry Pi Camera (B) Rev 2.0" two times now. Official new camera module should be "Raspberry Pi Camera v2.1".

Could it be you bought a knock-off?

jllwton

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi @start78. It's definitely the 2.0 camera. I'm aware that this isn't the current version, but I've not found any reference to it not being compatible with the Pi Zero and/or cable. I don't think it's a knock-off, and it works perfectly with my Pi 3.
Attachments
IMG_6784.jpg
IMG_6784.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 4568 times

6by9

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 pm

That is definitely not one of the two camera modules produced by Raspberry Pi Trading.
The 2 released versions are V1.3 which looks like https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/camera ... -for-sale/, and the V2.1 which looks like https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-8- ... d-sale-25/
Neither have adjustable lenses which yours appears to have.

Some early clones of the V1.3 were known to have an impaired reverse engineering of the connections and did wrong things with the LED line.

What resolution does your Pi3 capture at if you use Raspistill? If 2592x1944 and with EXIF tags mentioning OV5647, then someone has been exceptionally naughty in their product naming.
Can I suggest you test with a genuine V1.3 or V2.1 Pi camera? If that still fails then further support will be forthcoming.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

fbriggs

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:08 pm

jllwton - I am using this camera: http://www.robotshop.com/en/raspberry-p ... AqfH8P8HAQ

I thought it was a standard Pi camera that Robotshop modified to add a 180 degree lens, but maybe it is a non-standard knock off. The unit I received is consistent with the picture in the link above- the board says "Pi Camera (I) - Rev 2.2".

Later today/tonight I will test this camera with a Raspberry Pi 3 B instead of a Pi Zero.

I saw 6by9's comment that some of these unofficial cameras may have issues. It will be interesting to see if this camera works with the Pi 3 B or not...

6by9

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:55 pm

It looks like you're both using the same or similar clones of the Pi Camera.
A third party has bought the sensor from Omnivision with a different lens, they will have designed their own pcb trying to achieve the same functionality as the official camera, and at a guess they have a subtle difference. Sorry, not much that can be done there - take it up with the supplier of the cloned camera as not fit for purpose

fbriggs

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:13 am

I tested this camera (http://www.robotshop.com/en/raspberry-p ... AqfH8P8HAQ) with a Raspberry Pi 3 B. Unlike with the Pi Zero, the 3 B can boot while the camera is plugged in. However, it fails to take a picture with the following error message:

mmal: No data received from sensor.
Check all connections, including the Sunny one on the camera board

jllwton

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. It does look, unfortunately, as if I've been sold an unofficial camera which isn't compatible with the Pi Zero.

6by9

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 am

Sorry about that, but Raspberry Pi Foundation/Trading can't be held responsible for 3rd party reverse engineered versions of their products not working.

I don't believe there were any deliberate changes in the camera connections for the PiZero, but the 3rd party version obviously connected things up in a subtly different manner to the official camera modules, and the PiZero has made their assumptions invalid.
With a bit of research it would probably be possible to modify the 3rd party product to work, but that would require someone with a moderate amount of electronic knowledge and some time on their hands.

Two random thoughts on this if you were wanting to investigate. My first guesses would be that it is either a power or I2C issue.

If it is power, then something is going to be shorting the power rails out, and that won't be good long term for your Zero. So on power up measure the voltage between the two connections at the far ends of the cable. These are a ground and the 3.3V line, so a meter should read 3.3V. If not, then something is shorting the power rails out.

Regarding I2C, if there is a subtle difference in the pull-up arrangements than it could delay the Pi booting up as it probes the HAT, potentially by several 10s of seconds. Have you really left your Pi that long before concluding that it isn't booting?
There was a minor firmware misconfiguration that may have incorrectly caused this, but you can bypass the HAT check anyway by adding "force_eeprom_read=0" to /boot/config.txt. It would be worth adding "ignore_lcd=1" too, just to make sure it doesn't try talking I2C to a non-existent display.
If that does work, then the corrected firmware config went in on 13th June, so "sudo rpi-update" would get it (obviously on a different Pi as you can't boot the Zero).

DirkS

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:13 am

6by9 wrote: "sudo rpi-update" would get it (obviously on a different Pi as you can't boot the Zero).
:?: You could of course just disconnect the camera board from the Zero...

jllwton

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:15 am

Already unplugged the camera and made sure the software on the Zero's up to date, thanks :D

6by9

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:20 am

DirkS wrote:
6by9 wrote: "sudo rpi-update" would get it (obviously on a different Pi as you can't boot the Zero).
:?: You could of course just disconnect the camera board from the Zero...
True - brain not functioning yet. Although no guarantees that a PiZero has a network interface...
jllwton wrote:Already unplugged the camera and made sure the software on the Zero's up to date, thanks :D
"rpi-update" or "apt-get upgrade"? It's not made apt-get as yet, and there is still the chance that there is some lingering issue. It'd be worth just trying the config.txt changes (and you've now got me curious as to how this clone can have screwed up to stop booting!)

jllwton

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:23 am

I used apt-get upgrade. I'll give your recommendations a go over the weekend and report back :D

6by9

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:27 am

jllwton wrote:I used apt-get upgrade. I'll give your recommendations a go over the weekend and report back :D
As said, apt-get won't quite cut the mustard as yet, although there has been a nudge to get that updated very soon because the latest version of the PiCamera library needs some of the updates.
"vcgencmd version" will tell you the build date of the firmware - 13th June or later needed for the pin mux error fix.
It'll be interesting to hear the results.

aslamvga

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:29 am

Hello,
I am using Rasberry pi camera (B) rev 2.0 ,anyone interfaced this one. I am searching for the schematic of this please help me to find
this one is the RPI camera am using now : http://www.waveshare.com/rpi-camera-b.htm

greggreg

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Hello,

My pi zero also won't boot with camera (https://botland.com.pl/21349-thickbox_d ... rry-pi.jpg) attached.

Have you found any solution to this problem, or maybe any other wide lens camera that is pi zero compatible?

vincaman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 am

Same problem here with a Pi Zero and a Pi Zero W, the Pi won't boot with the camera attached ... The model used is http://www.waveshare.com/rpi-camera-f.htm, and has the advantage to have an adjustable focus.

The camera is working perfectly with a Pi 3 ... Also, the camera Pi NoIR v.2.1 (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-noir-camera-v2/) is working perfectly with my two Pi Zero.

I use the last version of Jessie lite (2017-03-02).

Maybe someone find the solution?

Thanks in advance.
Vincent

Return to “Camera board”