welshgeekboy

Short circuit fried my Pi - has it damaged my PiCam?

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi, a while back one of my Pi installations short circuited. The ribbon cable that connects the Pi camera to my Pi A+ was touching a sharp point of solder near the Pi and so the plastic outer was scratched away. The solder point connected to PB0 or pin 8 on a RasPiO Duino, and the cable track it connected to was the fifth from the bottom when you look at the Pi with the HDMI port facing down. The Pi began behaving strangely then died completely (this happened to be at Pi Wars, when my robot was meant to be competing! Sod's Law). I am presuming the camera is damaged too, but just in case it isn't I thought I'd ask- is there any way to check if the Pi camera is still working without plugging it into a Pi? I don't want to plug it in if it just damages another Pi, but I also don't want to buy another camera if I have one that still works!

Thank you all.
Pi B r2, Pi Zero (no cam), Pi 3, acid yellow HDMIPi, lots of robot bits.

piglet

Re: Short circuit fried my Pi - has it damaged my PiCam?

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Given what you've described, I'd be tempted to get another cable and try it.

Cables are pretty cheap eg: http://www.modmypi.com/search/?search=p ... ra%20cable

Then again I do have a couple of first revision Pi's I use for testing that wouldn't be too concerned to let the magic smoke out of...

Return to “Camera board”