CaptSunset

You guys never talk about Time Lapse assembly software!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:17 pm

OK, I just saw a 3rd vague reference to people assembling their Pi time lapse projects 'on a PC'; in this case both libav and avconv were mentioned:
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2013/0 ... pi-camera/

While helpful, this was written 3 years ago, and one could hope by now to have some kind of open source moviemaker software with a visual component.

From the lack of discussion, either there is some simple method I've missed :oops: , or there aren't many people interested in time lapse, or everybody is OK with inserting their frames by formula...

Anybody got a technique that'd take advantage of the Pi 3's increased speed?

DavidMS

Re: You guys never talk about Time Lapse assembly software!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 pm

I agree - We have ended up just getting the stills on to a PC then using microsoft movie maker which is ok but does still get grumpy when try to import a lot of big stills.

It would be good to be able to do it all easily on a pi - I'm not sure if the 'official' worksheet has been updated, but last time I looked it was recommending software which is no longer available
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 am

I used avconv from the command line to assemble stuff when I need to. At least, ISTR doing that in the past. I certainly use it for length cropping video.

You could also use a gstreamer pipeline.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

6by9

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:45 am

You've got the simple method - avconv. I can see nothing in that guide that won't still work. It'll inherently use the Pi3's extra power as it's almost solely a compute driven task. Whether it is multithreaded or not is a different question, so it may not make best use of a Pi2 or 3.

Why do you need a graphical interface if you're just combining a bundle of JPEGs? It seems a little unnecessary to me.

Yes, the worksheet in the official tutorial needs updating as mencoder has been replaced in Raspbian Jessie. So many jobs....
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

mikerr

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 pm

I make timelapses with:

Code: Select all

convert -delay 20  $(ls *.jpg) timelapse.gif
that makes a 5 fps (20/100) animated gif
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jamesh

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm

IIRC, convert is from imagemagik ?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

CaptSunset

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:45 pm

6by9 wrote: Why do you need a graphical interface if you're just combining a bundle of JPEGs?
So many jobs...
Well... in general, perhaps it is really about the difference between art and science.
In the case of timelapse, what we are talking about is a form of animation.
Both framerate & framing need visual confirmation before and after rendering, as part of the creative process.

If you've seen the brilliant opening titles for the US version of House of Cards, you will understand what I'm talking about.
District 7's sequence uses shadows crawling across Washington to ominous effect. Here's Andrew Geraci talking about it:

• How long did it took you to shoot all sequences?
We started shooting in March and wrapped up the final shot in August of 2012. It was nearly 6 months of producing more than 6TB worth of imagery.
• We see over 30 timelapse clips during the opening credits, how many did you shot?
In all, there were over 120 individual shots that we produced over the course of 6 months.

The full interview & a titles clip is here:
http://www.alexandrosmaragos.com/2013/0 ... rview.html

Now, they shot with half a dozen Canon 5D digital SLRs, using an HDR technique which shoots 3 frames to be combined into one in the final rendering.

Thing is, there's no real reason- other than primordial software- that what they did couldn't have be done almost as well by indies using a Raspberry Pi or six, at considerably less cost. In making motion pictures & TV, visually reviewing work-in-progress has been revolutionary, (even for people who still send film to the lab).

I just find it surprising that with all the people working on flavors of linux and such, there are so few working on the Pi's visual aspects- especially considering the untapped creative potential in fields like medicine.
-------------
As far as 'so many jobs' you hit the nail squarely on the head. You may guess how old I am if I tell you I started with Amigas, and learned on Tim Jenison's DigiPaint and later Lightwave; my first titles were done using EA's under $100 Deluxe Video (which was also used to produce TV's Max Headroom). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973fiFaSXqw
Those Amiga folks understood the value of a transparent GUI...

Today's Pi is a vastly more powerful & versatile machine than 1989's Commodore Amiga, but I sometimes wonder if a learning intention hasn't become a user limitation.

Afterthought... the editing of HoC titles is credited to ELASTIC, go to grid view on this page and see if they don't look like people you'd want involved here-
http://www.artofthetitle.com/designers/

Return to “Camera board”