scotty101

Re: Issues with Pi Cam and Pi Display?

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Having to stand on my head to edit config.txt aside, the bug fix seems good. I'll report back if I see anything amiss.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:57 pm

PeterO wrote:You are going to annoy people who have put their displays into stands already !
This change had to happen, so its better to make it at the earliest possible moment, so as to dis-convenience as few people as possible.

PeterO

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:16 am

mahjongg wrote:
PeterO wrote:You are going to annoy people who have put their displays into stands already !
This change had to happen, so its better to make it at the earliest possible moment,.
RFT ? :roll:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

PeterO

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:42 am

Could the orientation be changed on the fly ? A simple "tilt switch" on a GPIO pin could make the orientation dynamically selectable for the best viewing angle.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jvondrus

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:53 am

Hello,
is any way how to fix it without update kernel? I have to use 4.0.9, because CODESYS for Pi has unsolved problem with some think in newest one (http://forum.codesys.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6381) :(

Thank you.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:07 pm

jvondrus wrote: is any way how to fix it without update kernel? I have to use 4.0.9, because CODESYS for Pi has unsolved problem with some think in newest one (http://forum.codesys.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6381) :(
The fix was on the firmware side. You can download start*.elf and fixup*.dat from here and replace the ones on your boot partition and it will probably be fine.
(As I don't use CODESYS I don't really know the implications. Backing up sdcard before changing is always good advice even if the chance of problems is low).

jvondrus

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:11 pm

dom wrote:
jvondrus wrote: is any way how to fix it without update kernel? I have to use 4.0.9, because CODESYS for Pi has unsolved problem with some think in newest one (http://forum.codesys.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6381) :(
The fix was on the firmware side. You can download start*.elf and fixup*.dat from here and replace the ones on your boot partition and it will probably be fine.
(As I don't use CODESYS I don't really know the implications. Backing up sdcard before changing is always good advice even if the chance of problems is low).
Thanks you very much, works great. :D

muth

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 am

Hi!
I had exactly the same freezing issue with the Rpi display and camera together. And it is fixed now thanks to the new firmware got with rpi-update.

Thanks a lot for the work !

elParaguayo

Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:44 pm

mahjongg wrote:
This change had to happen, so its better to make it at the earliest possible moment, so as to dis-convenience as few people as possible.
I'm curious, if it had to happen, were people who are selling cases (e.g. Pimoroni) made aware of this before they started selling their stands? Also, it seems slightly strange to me that a fairly fundamental update was released so shortly after the screen's own release. Could it not have been fixed first?

The stand I have looks great but I really could do with the improved viewing angle of having the screen the "correct" way up but that doesn't work with the stand.

I can live with it for the time being (e.g. while I'm still developing my software) but I suspect I'll eventually end up forking out for a new stand once I plan to have it operational at home.

EDIT: Mods - if this needs to be split into a separate thread in the "Display" forum then that's fine with me!
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

jamesh

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:36 pm

elParaguayo wrote:
mahjongg wrote:
I'm curious, if it had to happen, were people who are selling cases (e.g. Pimoroni) made aware of this before they started selling their stands? Also, it seems slightly strange to me that a fairly fundamental update was released so shortly after the screen's own release. Could it not have been fixed first?

The stand I have looks great but I really could do with the improved viewing angle of having the screen the "correct" way up but that doesn't work with the stand.

I can live with it for the time being (e.g. while I'm still developing my software) but I suspect I'll eventually end up forking out for a new stand once I plan to have it operational at home.

EDIT: Mods - if this needs to be split into a separate thread in the "Display" forum then that's fine with me!
You can only fix bugs first, when you know they are there! I'd suspect this bug only came to light after the release, otherwise, it would have already been fixed!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

elParaguayo

Re: Issues with Pi Cam and Pi Display? (solved)

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks for the reply James.

Please forgive me if I'm oversimplifying this as I'm not remotely a hardware guy and have no idea how complicated all of this actually was. That being said, I'm not sure I'd call a screen essentially being upside down a "bug". I would have thought that that was fairly evident from the very beginning but that could just be me. I assume, therefore, that there were some very good reasons for getting the screen released when it was.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

eggster

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:22 pm

The funny story is I just got the official touchscreen this week... However, when I initially re-installed raspbian, I liked the way the screen sat on my desk without a stand (the way I had originally mounted my raspberry PI -- it was able to balance nicely on the GPIO). But I've adapted to the new change (I also changed the way I have the Pi mounted), I finally ordered a stand that'll allow it to sit with the correct orientation.

At least this change has been made now, rather than later.

CyrusMaximus

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:17 pm

dom wrote:
PeterO wrote: OH DEAR !!!! Screen is now upside down !
Actually it is correct now and was upside down before.
You get a better viewing angle from above than below which is normally what is desired.

Add lcd_rotate=2 to config.txt if you prefer the previous behaviour.
Dear Dom

I have the same problem as after I installed my touchscreen, the image flipped. I now have the power cable entry point at the bottom of the screen and it will not work with my display stand.

I am a complete novice - where/how do I enter the "lcd_rotate=2" command?

Thanks in advance.

jahboater

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:53 am

Add it to a file called "/boot/config.txt".
You need privilege to alter this file, so you will need to use "sudo".

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64

Return to “Camera board”