Gavinmc42

Re: PiKrellCam: motion vector detect + OSD web interface

Sat May 14, 2016 11:56 am

Lots of trouble writing the new Jessie versions to 6-7cards.
Had to delete all partitions and reformat as fat, the write again.
Now running ./install-pikrellcam.sh on first one
Hope it works.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

BerryPicker

Sat May 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Servo Snag.
After changing the servo pan and tilt values in pikrellcam.conf I cannot re-start pikrellcam from the browser. On running ./pikrellcam from ~/pikrellcam I receive the report * failed to open vchiq instance. I checked pi is a member of the video group, and raspivid works as expected. When I return the servo pan and tilt values in pikrellcam.conf to a value of -1 the start button in the browser again starts pikrellcam. The exact code I am using with a B+ for PWM0 and PWM1 is

Code: Select all

servo_pan_gpio 12
servo_tilt_gpio 13
Help please.

P.S. My understanding is that these are BCM numbers, corresponding to GPIO numbers 26 and 23, and Pin numbers 32 and 33.

billw

Sat May 14, 2016 6:04 pm

BerryPicker wrote:Servo Snag.
After changing the servo pan and tilt values in pikrellcam.conf I cannot re-start pikrellcam from the browser. On running ./pikrellcam from ~/pikrellcam I receive the report * failed to open vchiq instance. I checked pi is a member of the video group, and raspivid works as expected.
Run: ls -l /dev/vchiq
and with pan/tilt set to 12/13 when runs don't start, what's logged? When running from the terminal
use: pikrellcam -v and logging will go to stdout so I can see where the vchiq error occurs with respect
to the logging.

BerryPicker

Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 pm

@billw. Thank you for taking a look at this Servo Snag.

After start with servo values -1 or with 12&13 (i.e. no difference)

[email protected]:~ $ ls -l /dev/vchiq
crw-rw---- 1 root video 248, 0 May 14 17:29 /dev/vchiq
Starting attempt with servo values 12 & 13

[email protected]:~/pikrellcam $ pikrellcam -v

========================================================
========= Restarting as root to mmap() servos ==========
20:16:24 : execl:[sudo pikrellcam -user1000 -group1000 -home/home/pi -v ]
======= PiKrellCam 3.0.1 started at 2016-05-14 20:16:25
======= Servo using hardware PWM (12 13)
== Dropped root priviledges-continuing as normal user ==
========================================================
* failed to open vchiq instance
Note: PiKrellCam is installed on the May Raspbian Jessie Light Image

billw

Sat May 14, 2016 11:29 pm

BerryPicker wrote:@billw. Thank you for taking a look at this Servo Snag.

After start with servo values -1 or with 12&13 (i.e. no difference)

[email protected]:~ $ ls -l /dev/vchiq
crw-rw---- 1 root video 248, 0 May 14 17:29 /dev/vchiq
Is root a member of the video group? It occurs to me that may be needed because to access the PWM
pins, pikrellcam becomes root to open /dev/mem and then drops back to user pi. But if root is not in
the video group, then that privilege can be lost by doing that.

The other thing to try is run

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vchiq

BerryPicker

Sun May 15, 2016 9:29 am

billw wrote: Is root a member of the video group? It occurs to me that may be needed because to access the PWM
pins, pikrellcam becomes root to open /dev/mem and then drops back to user pi. But if root is not in
the video group, then that privilege can be lost by doing that.
Thanks for your thoughts. I did this:

[email protected]:~ $ groups root
root : root
[email protected]:~ $ sudo usermod -a -G video root
[email protected]:~ $ groups root
root : root video
and pikrellcam will now start with PWM servos set in pikrellcam.conf.

billw

Sun May 15, 2016 1:40 pm

BerryPicker wrote:and pikrellcam will now start with PWM servos set in pikrellcam.conf.
Ok, I'll have a fix for that in the next upgrade and you should then be able to undo adding root to video
if you want.

BerryPicker

Sun May 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Whereas I was experiencing occasional positional glitches with servoblaster, the pikrellcam PWM servo control is completely glitch free. When I setup my servos I used their mid travel position for straight ahead. I was therefore somewhat surprised that the mid points of the pikrellcam servo scales did not also correspond to straight ahead. :o According to the pikrellcam servo scales my servos mid travels are at 130 (pan) and 165 (tilt). I do like the precision of the pikrellcam servo scales, and am glad billw allowed values beyond the standard range for servos (100 to 200) not to break the pikrellcam graphics. :lol:

On first use I had expected any alternate servo positions to also show in the tilt scale. Is the absence of the alternatives in the tilt scale by design :?:
Attachments
ServoScale.jpg
ServoScale.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 4872 times

billw

Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 am

BerryPicker wrote:When I setup my servos I used their mid travel position for straight ahead. I was therefore somewhat surprised that the mid points of the pikrellcam servo scales did not also correspond to straight ahead. :o According to the pikrellcam servo scales my servos mid travels are at 130 (pan) and 165 (tilt).
I verified the values programed into the registers with an oscilloscope and programmed values were
spot on with oscilloscope measurements. Servo accuracy can vary but yours does seem off - I'll
double check when I get a chance.
On first use I had expected any alternate servo positions to also show in the tilt scale. Is the absence of the alternatives in the tilt scale by design :?:
Yes, I looked at that but there was no good way to associate multiple tilt positions with corresponding
pan positions so I left it showing only the tilt preset for the current pan. I didn't wan to clutter the
display too much but I would say it's a decision subject to change.

Gavinmc42

Mon May 16, 2016 2:46 am

That's why there are trim knobs on RC transmitters.
Servos are not all the same.
Add trim control settings.

Max travel can be different too, 180, 150, 120 degrees etc.
Which is why servo horns have a number of holes.

Watch out for the jitters, cheap servos can have the shakes.

Been thinking about using something like this controller.
http://www.basecamelectronics.com/
But with unmodified CDROM motors, I don't like rewinding them, it is a pain.
With the flex camera cable, might not need a lot of power.
You can get a bigger BLDC motor from a Hard drive spindle.
Use it for pan and CDROM for tilt?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

BerryPicker

Mon May 16, 2016 7:48 am

billw wrote:Servo accuracy can vary
... and pikrellcam seems to cope well as is. I'd rather it be left without trims; so keeping the quantised scale.
... there was no good way to associate multiple tilt positions with corresponding pan positions ...
For me it's not the association that's important, more a confirmation that the new setting was added correctly.
BTW another nice touch I've discovered in pikrellcam is the calm smooth sweep of the servos when switching between presets.

Ongelma

Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 am

Is there something fishy in the new camera model v2 when used with pikrell ? All the new cams seem to be out of focus but old ones work like a charm.

tomtgrp

Tue May 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Ongelma wrote:Is there something fishy in the new camera model v2 when used with pikrell ? All the new cams seem to be out of focus but old ones work like a charm.
Hi, mine too.

Have to adjust the lens. German Article on heise: http://www.heise.de/foto/meldung/So-ste ... 04292.html.

Hope there will come soon clones with CS or M12 mount and the IR-Cut FIlter switchers you find on ebay will fit.

@Billw
Dou you remember to add the new Still image sizes? 3280 × 2464

BR
Tom

Ongelma

Wed May 18, 2016 5:06 am

Ok.Thanks. Where and how do i add new still image size ?

jbeale

Wed May 18, 2016 5:35 am

tomtgrp wrote:All the new cams seem to be out of focus but old ones work like a charm.
We are told the v2.1 cameras are intentionally focused closer than the v1.3 cameras were. As workaround to this, several people have found it possible to manually refocus it. More details here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=145815&start=200#p971091 (read the following posts also)

Jasimo

Wed May 18, 2016 6:11 am

Hi all,

Today i change the locales on one of my pikrellcam raspi´s to "de_DE.UTF-8"
After a reboot of the pi the annotation string has changed to a german style (24hours), fine.
But after a manual stop/start of pikrellcam via the GUI the annotation string switched back to the old style (12hour).
Performing a reboot of the pi brings back the 24hour date string until I stop/start the pikrellcam via the GUI
Did I missed something?

rgs
Jan

billw

Wed May 18, 2016 2:32 pm

There's an upgrade:

The time in the video name is changed from detect time to video start time.
Video frame count, time and fps are in /run/pikrellcam/state (or ~/pikrellcam/www/state link)

root no longer needs to be in the video group for PWM servo use.

Added V2 camera modes.

Jeff: start times are about as close as I can get them to on the second transitions so should be good
for your timings except for one case I'll go back and look at later: if a new video starts in less than the
pre capture time after the last one ended, there can be a key frame in the buffer that was sent by the
camera before I start requesting them on the second and this can cause the video to start at some
offset into the second.

BerryPicker

Wed May 18, 2016 6:02 pm

billw wrote:There's an upgrade: root no longer needs to be in the video group for PWM servo use.
Thank you billw. Following the upgrade my scripts from version 2 now run in version 3.2 (whereas they would not run in version 3.1, even with all having execute permission). Note: the servo buttons disappeared after upgrade/stop/start :shock: , but came back after reboot. :D

Max1968

Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 am

Hi,
does PiKrellCam support two cameras with the Compute Module ?
Thx,
Max

billw

Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Jasimo wrote:Hi all,

After a reboot of the pi the annotation string has changed to a german style (24hours), fine.
But after a manual stop/start of pikrellcam via the GUI the annotation string switched back to the old style (12hour).
Performing a reboot of the pi brings back the 24hour date string until I stop/start the pikrellcam via the GUI
Did I missed something?

rgs
Jan
From the GUI pikrellcam is started as user pi from www-data which is a non login user and I just can't get the locale to be
relayed properly. So I'm punting on that and added a lc_time config variable to pikrellcam.conf because pikrellcam can still
set its own locale at runtime.

Try that, upgrade and set lc_time in pikrellcam.conf.

billw

Thu May 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Max1968 wrote:Hi,
does PiKrellCam support two cameras with the Compute Module ?
Thx,
Max
No it doesn't. I haven't looked at that and don't have a good idea yet if it will be a possibility.

Jasimo

Fri May 20, 2016 8:53 am

billw wrote:
Jasimo wrote:Hi all,

Did I missed something?

rgs
Jan
From the GUI pikrellcam is started as user pi from www-data which is a non login user and I just can't get the locale to be
relayed properly. So I'm punting on that and added a lc_time config variable to pikrellcam.conf because pikrellcam can still
set its own locale at runtime.

Try that, upgrade and set lc_time in pikrellcam.conf.
Works now, thank you.
rgs
Jan

jefferyanderson

Sun May 22, 2016 5:30 pm

Jeff: start times are about as close as I can get them to on the second transitions so should be good
for your timings except for one case I'll go back and look at later: if a new video starts in less than the
pre capture time after the last one ended, there can be a key frame in the buffer that was sent by the
camera before I start requesting them on the second and this can cause the video to start at some
offset into the second.
Bill,
Thanks a million. I just got back home after traveling where Internet access was very hard to find (hence the delayed response) - I'll try to test this out in the next day or two. Thanks so much for the update.
Regards,
Jeff

jbeale

PiKrellCam 3.0.3 vector display glitch with v2.1 camera

Mon May 23, 2016 2:40 am

I see what I think is just a cosmetic glitch when the vector display is turned on, using PiKrellCam 3.0.3 and a RPi v2.1 camera board. There are now seven different video resolutions: 1080p, 720p, 1640x1232, 1640x922, 1296x972, 1024x768, 1024x576. If you choose either of the two new settings that have 1640 pixels horizontally, I see a diagonal line in the vector display. This does not appear with any other resolution, and it does not seem to affect the normal operation of the program.

LucidEye

PiKrellCam will not connect after install and reboot

Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 am

Hello... just tried to install PiKrellCam on my new RPi 3.

I'm running the latest version of Jessie lite... complete with update and dist-upgrade.

The install script runs fine and exits with no errors. I setup the install on port 80, no password, and have it auto-start at boot.

I can see the camera light turn on after boot, so I know something is running.

However, when I try to connect to it in Chrome browser on my laptop using http://"my pi's IP:80" I get nothing... says connection refused.

I can ssh into the pi from my laptop and I tried running pikrellcam and it tells me it's already running.

Any ideas why this isn't working? Is there a troubleshooting area on your instruction page?

Also, there was a web page with instructions on how to setup the pan/tilt servos... and now that page seems to be down? It was up yesterday... https://cassidy.ddns.net/help.php...?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Return to “Camera board”