dmurphydrtc

Re: PiKrellCam: motion vector detect + OSD web interface

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:07 pm

I would be careful using code or downloading from Sourceforge.. Read the following,

https://hn.algolia.com/?query=Sourcefor ... type=story
jbeale wrote:Not just curl, but one thing I've found useful for automatically transferring images to remote sites is curlftpfs which allows your remote FTP site to appear mounted as if it is simply part of your local filesystem, so you just use ls, cp, rm as with any other directory. http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/

jbeale

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:41 pm

dmurphydrtc wrote:I would be careful using code or downloading from Sourceforge.. Read the following,
https://hn.algolia.com/?query=Sourcefor ... type=story
Fair enough. Alternatively, you can do: sudo apt-get install curlftpfs

rpiatf2f10

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Jbeale,

Did you encounter this slowness as described here? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CurlFtpFS

What's your setup? tks

here's a link for sshfs...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/h ... on-ubuntu/

When mount remote drive (smb,ntfs, etc) to PI with RPI WEB interface, it seems that we're loosing capability of accessing those in Thumb view and functions on WEb interface. Do we have same issue with PiKrellCam?

thanks a lot.

Tim Barker

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 am

jbeale wrote:Not just curl, but one thing I've found useful for automatically transferring images to remote sites is curlftpfs which allows your remote FTP site to appear mounted as if it is simply part of your local filesystem, so you just use ls, cp, rm as with any other directory. sudo apt-get install curlftpfs

EDIT: removed link to code on Sourceforge site, which has apparently fallen into disrepute[?]
looks like what I might need, thanx,

jit

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Anyone know if the new pi camera module is supported?

jbeale

curlftpfs, and new 8MP camera

Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:01 pm

I am only using curlftpfs for background, offline archiving of stills to a remote FTP site. It is convenient for my scripting to just use the standard ls, cp, rm commands when dealing with files on the remote site. I can't speak to delays because haven't tried to use it for anything live or interactive, so if each transfer or directory listing takes one second or one minute it still works OK in my case.

I have the new RPi Camera 2 board (Sony IMX219 8MP) on order, so I can help with testing once it arrives. I'm not familiar with the low-level C programming of the MMAL layer though.

Ongelma

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 am

Hey guys.

Any idea on how to get this pikrell to work with usb webcam instead of csi camera module?

Running out of cams.

boomlikethat

Re: curlftpfs, and new 8MP camera

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:27 am

@jbeale,

I just saw specs on this new camera, a bump to 8 megapixels. Nice. Please report the results!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-8- ... d-sale-25/
jbeale wrote:I am only using curlftpfs for background, offline archiving of stills to a remote FTP site. It is convenient for my scripting to just use the standard ls, cp, rm commands when dealing with files on the remote site. I can't speak to delays because haven't tried to use it for anything live or interactive, so if each transfer or directory listing takes one second or one minute it still works OK in my case.

I have the new RPi Camera 2 board (Sony IMX219 8MP) on order, so I can help with testing once it arrives. I'm not familiar with the low-level C programming of the MMAL layer though.

stephencassidy

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Ongelma wrote:Hey guys.

Any idea on how to get this pikrell to work with usb webcam instead of csi camera module?

Running out of cams.
This is something that I am interested in too. I used to use the MotionEye software which supports the camera module and USB cameras, however overall I prefer PiKrellCam.

jbeale

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 am

My understanding of why PiKrellCam works better than other methods (which do simple luminance-difference-from-average-frame to detect movement), is that PKC uses the motion vectors computed by the RPi's internal GPU H.264 encoder. A USB camera would not provide that data, and so PiKrellCam wouldn't have inputs for its motion detection routine.

Ongelma

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 am

So are you saying its a no go?

Ongelma

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:49 am

So lets forget the usb webcam... I also have a feature request. There are times when i need to shutdown the pi for example when i change its place from our pond to the forest (i tend to use this as a wildlife camera). I allways have to ssh into the pi and give it a shutdown -h now command.

I would really appreciate if there would be a button for this in the webpage where everything else is (http://my.pi.ip.adrs).
This would maybe be in the System menu ?

billw

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:26 pm

Ongelma wrote:So lets forget the usb webcam... I also have a feature request. There are times when i need to shutdown the pi for example when i change its place from our pond to the forest (i tend to use this as a wildlife camera). I allways have to ssh into the pi and give it a shutdown -h now command.

I would really appreciate if there would be a button for this in the webpage where everything else is (http://my.pi.ip.adrs).
Ok, I've added reboot and halt buttons to the System panel, but for them to work you have to set
halt_enable on in pikrellcam.conf. The option will appear in pikrellcam.conf after you restart
pikrellcam after upgrading. Then you'll have to edit pikrellcam.conf and restart again.

jbeale

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:28 pm

billw wrote:Ok, I've added reboot and halt buttons to the System panel, but for them to work you have to set
halt_enable on in pikrellcam.conf. The option will appear in pikrellcam.conf after you restart
pikrellcam after upgrading. Then you'll have to edit pikrellcam.conf and restart again.
Thanks BillW! That is the one useful feature PKC didn't have, that I missed from RPiCamWebInterface.
Now (IMHO) PKC is clearly better in every way :-)

Gavinmc42

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:08 am

Been playing with Pikrellcam for a week or so on one of my seven cameras.
The others are running MotioneyeOS or Motionpie with Sony Eye 2 cams.
Been intending to update with 5M Picameras which is why I am moving to Pikrellcam.

The first one stores the videos on a USB Western Digital Purple drive, installed samba.
Tried to get the other cameras writing to the drive, still got issues.
Maybe use another Pi as net storage?

Got my first 8Mp V2 picams yesterday, swapped the 5Mp for a 8Mp, Pikrellcam just worked apart from image size settings etc.
Been trolling through the code to find out how to max out the resolutions.
The 8Mp is supposed to have a 64 degree view, slightly wider than the old V1.

Yes, V2 camera works, but settings are not optimal yet.
Initial first impression, pictures do seem better indoor.
Will set two up in a window to compare 5Mp to 8Mp for outdoor shots.

Nice software Bill, well done.
Just one problem, I want to run it on piCore OS, can't stand the Raspbian bloat.
Tried to install it on Jessie Lite but had issues.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Ongelma

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:39 am

billw wrote:
Ongelma wrote:So lets forget the usb webcam... I also have a feature request. There are times when i need to shutdown the pi for example when i change its place from our pond to the forest (i tend to use this as a wildlife camera). I allways have to ssh into the pi and give it a shutdown -h now command.

Ok, I've added reboot and halt buttons to the System panel, but for them to work you have to set
Thanks a ton! :)

Jasimo

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:49 am

halt = shutdown?

rgs
Jan

Ongelma

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 am

a question: where is this pikrellcam.conf file?

Jasimo

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:02 am

in the folder
/home/pi/.pikrellcam

jbeale

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Jasimo wrote:halt = shutdown?
To be more precise, halt puts the CPU into a stop mode, which also draws less power than normal, but the RPi hardware is not capable of true shutdown (turning power off completely). Once you are in halt mode, the only way out is to do a hardware reset or a power cycle.

Interestingly, when the RPi is powered by some USB "power bank" battery devices, Halt mode draws a low enough current that the power bank shuts off output completely, causing it to be in effect a true shutdown. But that is only a consequence of the external power supply sensing the current.

Gavinmc42

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:59 am

Hi Billw,

Looks like your web page got updated with some answers I needed.
I needed to format my external USB drives to ext4 to make work and see the files.

The more I use it the more I am impressed.
By using the h.264 GPU encoding motion sensing it off loads the ARM from running MotionCV software. This means web pages etc seem much faster on my older B and B+ compare to MotionPie etc.

One suggestion is add another servo for zoom?
Now if I can find a tiny zoom lens, old video cameras?
Looking forwards to the update for max res 8Mp V2.
Will use my 5Mp on the B+s and save the 8Mp for my Pi2's.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

rpiatf2f10

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:49 pm

HI Guys,

sorry for the re-post of this. Trying to get help from some one!! thanks.

HI Billw,

I have tried your software for a week and it works well off SD card. Now I tried extra functions and I have need some help. BTW, I just upgraded to v3.0 today.

cat ~/.pikrellcam/pikrellcam.conf
on_motion_preview_save $C/preview-save $F $m $P $G

cat ~/pikrellcam/scripts/preview-save

MY_EMAIL=[email protected]
mpack -s [email protected]$HOSTNAME $PREVIEW_JPEG $MY_EMAIL
echo "mpack -s [email protected]$HOSTNAME $PREVIEW_JPEG $MY_EMAIL" >> $LOG_FILE

I don't see any emails in inbox; though I do see attempts in /tmp/pikrellcam.log of sending email.

mpack -s [email protected] /run/pikrellcam/motion_2016-04-23_17.58.36_9.jpg [email protected]

Question 1,

Is system using (mpack) direct outgoing tcp 25 smtp session to recipent email server? Will it leverage "ssmtp" to setup "smart relay host" details (user/pass,etc) so that email be relayed to a relay, like Gmail or others, which are accepted SMTP server?

Most of residential ISP blocking outgoing AND incoming port 25 for smtp. If we're using a direct SMTP 25, it will not work in many of these situations; although, my IP is allowed for both direction of port 25 as I am paying extra $5/month.

If we can leverage "smart host relay", it may help.

Question 2,

For copying file (video/stills) to remote server after motion event, will it try until a successful result? Sometimes, we may have a network disconnect and PI can not reach host. Will it queue the actions for later try or will it simply drop the action?
If not very complex, can we make it like Printer Method? When we try to print stuff, if printer is not available, it will queue those action items and send to printer once remote printer is available. That would be nice, as I often turn off power at night to same some energy. :-) People may experience network loss some time too.

Question 3,
For copying file to remote host, how many methods can we use? scp will be one, Jbeale mentioned curl FTP. Any others?
Maybe, we can have a wiki of of this topic, to include tested ways of , copying file to remote server via scp, sftp, etc. as well as mount remote shares, like nfs, smb, curlftps, sshfs, without loosing web function like reading thumnails, etc.

Question 4.
Jbeagle, contributed a Cron script to delete files after some time to save space on SD card/USB drive, can we integrate this function into your web interface so to make it bit easier for us.

Question 5.
What's the recommended Mag/Cnt setting for best detecting motion of humans, not birds, squirrels, etc.?
Thanks and great software!

billw

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:52 pm

rpiatf2f10,
I'm not sure about mpack usage of port 25, but /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf needs to be setup to send to
a mailhub that works with mpack. Initially my attempts to send using my ISP ssmtp server failed
because the ISP would not recognize AUTH LOGIN/CRAM-MD5 which is used by ssmtp. So I have
to use my gmail account for mpack to work. If using gmail, use in ssmtp.conf:

Code: Select all

mailhub=smtp.gmail.com:587
AuthUser=gmailuser
AuthPass=gmailpassword
UseSTARTTLS=YES
Test mpack sends from the command line so you will see any terminal errors.

Question 2: the scp commands used in the motion-end script included in pikrellcam do not retry
and work is needed to improve this. Probably we need something like you suggest in Question 3.

Question 4: Maybe there could be a delete function. I'll have to look at what form the user interface
could be.

Question 5: The magnitude relates more to how slow/fast the movement is you want to detect and
the count to the relative size. For humans I would start with settings around magnitude 10
and count 20. Then get somebody to walk in front of the camera at the max distance and slowest
walking speed you want to detect and adjust from there. Turn on Show Preset and the OSD will
show detection progress and you can get an idea without actually recording videos. In fact, turn
off motion detection and watch the screen as somebody walks around.
Last edited by billw on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billw

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:Hi Billw,
One suggestion is add another servo for zoom?
I've thought adding some customizable controls for something like more servos would be a good idea.
So I am going to think about that.

Gavinmc42

Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 am

Perhaps some way to select a USB or network drive for storage?
Menu for setting up file copies to NAS?
Camera 1 copy at 1am, camera 2 at 2am etc.
Could probably do this with cron.

Now have Pikrellcam on two cameras.
Very impressed with the thumb nails showing the movement triggers.
Need to figure out the settings so I get one vehicle per file.
Sometimes get 2 or 3 in each video.

Not sure how to do it but it would be nice to only record vehicles that stop out front, next door or across the road and to keep recording until they leave.
Much easier to sort the stalkers from the passersby.
Then use the zoom lens to find out who is inside.
Hence the pan, tilt and zoom requirement.

Currently can have up to seven camera recording videos, get to be a pain, collecting the files from all the cameras for one suspect event. Some capture, some don't.
A network trigger from any camera to save the circular buffer from every camera?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Return to “Camera board”