jbeale

another R-Pi camera accessory: M12 adaptor

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:05 pm

I was surprised to see this offering, a machined M12 lens holder than is designed specifically for the R-Pi camera board:
http://www.m12lenses.com/CNC-Machined-R ... 020rpm.htm

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, given the standard RPi camera module is not guaranteed to be strictly co-planar with the PCB (giving you a somewhat varying focal distance across the surface of the sensor). At any rate, it's a more convenient alternative to carving out a stock M12 holder to mount on the board, which I've done before, and allows use of an M12 lens with the official stock camera board, instead of being at the mercy of the aftermarket M12 board suppliers. Note also, not all M12 lenses will work; some have a back-focus distance too short and mechanically interfere with the plastic housing of the sensor before they are threaded in far enough to reach focus.

I'm not affiliated with this vendor. I have some purchased lenses from them, which were of the quality expected from the price.

CostasVav

Re: another R-Pi camera accessory: M12 adaptor

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Since they are out of stock on that site, I bought a pair off Ebay for $4 each. Even though they are labeled "21mm for Raspberry Pi", they do not fit correctly. 1/2mm off. Plus they do not have a cutout for the little "SUNNY" ribbon.

Be warned!
Current Project: PiMac

Return to “Camera board”