modjo756

Re: camera module mmal error - help!!

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi all, same issue with my (i have 2 boards) raspberry 2 !!! My cam is new, first time that i use it ... :(

lbarry

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:36 pm

texy wrote:I think you will find that many thousands of camera boards have sold, and 5+ million Pi's also. The number of reported failures in respect of units sold is extremely small - hardly what I would call 'unreliable'. :roll:
If you think you have a genuine hardware issue, then please return it to your supplier for a replacement.
Texy
How many people who are having this problem do you think are going to make it to this forum? I bet it's less than 1 in 100. How many more will just give up and go buy someone else's product? How many will buy a second camera (as many who posted about this problem did) and then give up when that one doesn't work either?

I think what people want is information more than anything else - not a magical fix. I'm trying not to waste any more hours of my time trying to get the camera to work. In the absence of any reliable information about the cause of the problem or a possible fix, and with no apparent interest shown by the manufacturer to diagnose or fix the problem, or even admit that there might be a problem, I feel that the only choice I have is to walk away from it and look for something else. I think that if you're getting this many posts, something is wrong. I'm not in a position to learn the hardware in detail and then compare working and failing boards to find the fault, but somebody must be.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:37 pm

lbarry wrote:How many people who are having this problem do you think are going to make it to this forum? I bet it's less than 1 in 100. How many more will just give up and go buy someone else's product? How many will buy a second camera (as many who posted about this problem did) and then give up when that one doesn't work either?

I think what people want is information more than anything else - not a magical fix. I'm trying not to waste any more hours of my time trying to get the camera to work. In the absence of any reliable information about the cause of the problem or a possible fix, and with no apparent interest shown by the manufacturer to diagnose or fix the problem, or even admit that there might be a problem, I feel that the only choice I have is to walk away from it and look for something else. I think that if you're getting this many posts, something is wrong. I'm not in a position to learn the hardware in detail and then compare working and failing boards to find the fault, but somebody must be.
Firstly I do not work for Raspberry Pi Foundation or Raspberry Pi Trading (lets call them Pi Towers for simplicity), but I am voluntarily involved in supporting the camera module.

I am not aware of any general issue with either the Pi or the camera module, and I did check with Pi Towers a month or so back to confirm.

Pi Towers design the boards, but they do not manufacture or sell either device directly - manufacture is all done by Sony in South Wales on behalf of Farnell or RS, and then they sell direct or wholesale to resellers.
You have a warranty on the device via whoever you bought it from, so if it doesn't work then return it for replacement. The returns rate is going to be closely monitored by Farnell and RS, with issues fed back to Sony. Pi Towers are then in close contact Sony. If you just "walk away" and don't return the board, then how are you expecting issues to be addressed? It'd take some magic to be able to remotely diagnose the fault if it is still in your possession.

I've given detail of the error several times, including earlier on this thread.
Most of the occurrences of this error message are that one of the connectors is not correctly seated. The devices are static sensitive to some degree so it is possible to kill them by rough handling, and there may be a number dying due to that - the Pi should be a little more tolerant than the sensor on that front. It's a bit mean on the supplier if you deliberately kill it and return it, but there's probably no way for them to tell, and if it really doesn't work then return it for replacement. Whether you bother to do a simple substitution test yourself before returning it is up to you.

Alternate scenario: Buy a camera and a lens. Find they don't work together as they should. Do you walk away from both then without either fault finding or involving the retailer? Perhaps you do.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jmcallister

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:08 pm

I am receiving a similar error...here are the results in verbose form. I have checked the connection multiple times:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ raspistill -v -o test.jpg
raspistill Camera App v1.3.8
Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No
Capture method : Single capture
Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file test.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 0
mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny one on the camera board
Do i just have a dysfunctional camera module?

Thanks,

Joe

raspberrykuchen

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 pm

In my case it were cold soldering points.

I tried to hook up the camera to my Pi B+ and received the mmal-Error. The camera had power (red led on) but no image. I did a continuity check with my multimeter between the "pins" and the "pads" (don't know hot to properly name this things, look at the attached image) and most of the pins had no connection. I then connected the camera to my Pi B+ 2 and voila, the camera worked.
Attachments
cold_soldering.jpg
cold_soldering.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 9049 times

loadbang

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:14 am

I'm having the same issue with a noIR and my B+. I have recently purchased a Pi 3 and it seems they have changed the soldering technique on the flex cable socket.

However, I'm still out of luck. When on the Pi 3 the light goes on but moans the cable may be disconnected.

Would check continuity with a multimeter however my battery decided to become empty last week, and it is a strange 9V one.

jbeale

Thu May 26, 2016 4:46 am

I got this dreaded error after changing cameras (stupidly without turning off the power first) and thought I was out of luck after the same fault persisted through several power cycles. However I was lucky, in my case it appears to have been a bad cable on the second camera. When I swapped that out, both new and old cameras and the Pi itself are working OK. whew!

(Yes, I'm the same guy with the first confirmed instance of a cold solder joint on the CSI connector, although apparently not the last)

close

Thu May 26, 2016 10:21 am

I'm seeing similar issues. Bought the camera 3 days ago for a RPi 3, attached it, took some test photos and then decided to update/upgrade everything (including firmware) to whatever version was released 2 days ago. After this the camera stopped working. I can't tell if this triggered the problem or maybe it's a coincidence and the camera/connector simply failed.

mmal: Cannot read cameara info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

I also used MotionEye OS and while booting it I can see the camera LED flashing for a fraction of a second but that's it. I also checked the cable connection repeatedly, checked that the camera is activated, etc. I do not have a multimeter at hand to check for cold solder joints nor do I have any spare camera or Pi to test. Is the flashing LED a sign of anything - the cable/connector/camera module are actually working?

Do you have any suggestions on how to diagnose the root cause or is it a lost cause?

close

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Camera module was defective. Replaced it with a v2.1.

Toshibass

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:00 am

I broke the zero camera connector following this advice multiple times, ignoring my better judgment I purchased a new one because the camera works perfectly well when I connect it to other pi's so plugged the camera into the new zero guess what same same problem, this was with the latest jessie however I found a post suggesting "do sudo rpi-update and now the camera is recognised were before it was not.

$ vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=1

and it works fine via mjpg streamer, which is how I use it,, however if I try ....

raspistill -v -o test.jpg

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Link to latest frame enabled no

Opacity 255
mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates

So there's still some software issue but for me at least I can use it.

So to the guy that said the following and lead everyone to think at was faulty hardware ... GRR indeed , it is clearly a software problem ....

If you get this message you have a hardware issue - either a dodgy connection, or a failed unit. I'm not sure how you expect anyone to resolve this magically for you via software......It now tells you pretty much what the error is, but people still come here to ask - grrr!

6by9

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:30 am

Toshibass wrote:So to the guy that said the following and lead everyone to think at was faulty hardware ... GRR indeed , it is clearly a software problem ....

If you get this message you have a hardware issue - either a dodgy connection, or a failed unit. I'm not sure how you expect anyone to resolve this magically for you via software......It now tells you pretty much what the error is, but people still come here to ask - grrr!
Please look at the date that was written - Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:18 am, so 5 months before the PiZero came out, and 9 months before the Pi Zero had the camera connector added. Nor was the V2.1 camera out by 10 months.
At that point the software on all platforms had been stable for quite a long time, so the most likely explanation was dodgy hardware.

Step forward to now and there are many more variations.

It was said loud and clear, you needed to update the software for the camera to work with the PiZero1.3. You appear to have skipped that step and then have got grumpy that it didn't work. Why do you think that most of the current support requests we immediately come back with "please post the output of vcgencmd version and uname -a"? Because people have skipped that stage. You haven't quoted the actual version you used on either of your rants (here and here)

At a guess you've set gpu_mem to something quite low in config.txt and that is insufficient for raspistill - read the docs as the trouble shooting section does cover that.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Playsky

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:33 am

I had the same issue with a raspberry 2 and a camera module but now i have a raspberry 3 with the camera module 2.1, I took pictures in the morning and just 1 hour after I have this error..
So I did: apt-get update, upgrade, and rpiUpdate but I get the same error !!!! I have the last components of Raspberry so I really don't understand.. I have 2A of power and the cable is good !!
So I really don't want to buy and replace my camera module because it's the new and I bought it just 2 weeks ago !
Is there anything to do to solve this horrible error ? I really need this camera help me please !
Thanks and sorry for my English :)

sej7278

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:25 pm

i just got this error.

i broke the connector off my pi zero and when hooking my camera back up to the B+ it used to be in, it no longer works.

i can only assume if the zero connector breaks it fries the camera module as the software hasn't changed at all in the B+.

# vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=1

# raspistill -o /tmp/image.jpg
mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny one on the camera board

# raspistill -v -o /tmp/image.jpg

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename /tmp/image.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Link to latest frame enabled  no

Opacity 255

jcardozo

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:06 pm

First verified that the camera works in a rpi-2
$ uname -r
4.4.11+

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep Hardware
Hardware : BCM2708

/boot/config.txt contents:
start_x=1
gpu_mem=128
dtparam=spi=on

$ ls -l /dev/vid*
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 Aug 15 12:55 /dev/video0

$ vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=1

$ raspistill -v -o image.jpg

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename image.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no

Opacity 255
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file image.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 0
Finished capture 0
Closing down
Close down completed, all components disconnected, disabled and destroyed

Repeated above steps for a rpi-3 with expected results except for the raspistill command

$ sudo /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Aug 16 2016 14:36:37
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 745cb6a4122e616a2e68534c3c98faaf237e0fc7 (clean) (release)

$ uname -r
4.4.17-v7+
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep Hardware
Hardware : BCM2709

$ raspistill -v -o image.jpg

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename image.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Opacity 255

Connector on the board looks ok and is the only other h/w variable.

Further investigation:
Went back to see if there was any other software grabbing the video.

$ sudo lsof|grep video0
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
motion 2381 root mem CHR 81,0 1317 /dev/video0
In my case, I know that motioneye enables motion so I needed to deactivate it first.
$ sudo service motioneye stop

Now, when I run raspistill, it works!
$ raspistill -o image.jpg

Lesson learnt: Check for any other software that might be accessing the same video device.

mattMSS

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi;
I have a camera module rev 1.3 and a Raspberry Pi 2011.12 - 512MB.
I've tested on different linux-distro (raspbian, pidora, ubuntu) and got the same messages that's no data received and unexpected callback event.

So, I'm thinking on replace the camera and also the rpi board to a newer.
Anyone else think this is the most appropriate thing to do?

asorini

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:30 pm

I had the same problem with my pi-NoIR camera module. It looks like the fault is with the raspberry pi board itself, not with the camera module; I tried the same camera module on a different pi and the camera works fine.

This is just more evidence that the problem is with the pi board connector, as hypothesized above. So very sad... but what do you expect from a 40 dollar computer... :roll:

Tyr153

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 pm

I've been trying to get this camera to work for over 2 years. Lack of info, projects and examples of this camera have lead me to believe that nobody got it to work. Its a dud camera module which supplies are still selling and not bothering to check. We need to take action and have this removed. Perhaps we can get a known electronics company to verify that all these pi camera modals are defective.

6by9

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 am

Tyr153 wrote:I've been trying to get this camera to work for over 2 years. Lack of info, projects and examples of this camera have lead me to believe that nobody got it to work. Its a dud camera module which supplies are still selling and not bothering to check. We need to take action and have this removed. Perhaps we can get a known electronics company to verify that all these pi camera modals are defective.
Well welcome to the forum.

There are many, many, people happily using the camera module, both V1.3 (OV5647) and V2.1 (IMX219). The V1.3 camera went end of life from Omnivision back in 2014, and stopped being sold by Raspberry Pi in April 2016 when their supplies had been exhausted, and the V2.1 module was out. Third party companies had cloned the PCB and sold their own variants - there's nothing that Raspberry Pi can do about that, other than defend their trademark on the device.

If you think you have a dud module, then ideally try it against more than one Pi to confirm that it is the camera module and not the Pi. If really dead, then return it to your supplier and they should investigate.

As to lack of information, have you failed to find
- https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /camera.md
- https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ad ... /picamera/
- viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63276
- viewtopic.php?f=43&t=115583
- http://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/release-1.12/
You don't say anything about what you're trying to do with the camera, but there are a few links to get you going.
If you want to go down the standard V4L2 route, then

sudo modprobe bcm2835-v4l2
and you'll have a standard /dev/video0 device show up. V4L2 has a few limitations compared to the above apps just due to the API framework.

Tyr153

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:47 pm

I've been trouble shooting for ages, spent another 4 hours with the examples you posted. No commands work with the camera...update, upgrade, download new image file of the os no change. No picture or video recorded with the commands. If I plug in a USB camera it works fine and takes pictures and displays and streams video. But the native camera is either defective or not sported. I have worked through 100's of pages on trouble shooting. What i'm saying is that its odd that there is no youtube video detailing the install from start to finish of this native camera.

Either the command lines are wrong, or software is missing, or an upgrade has screwed everything up......

I don't even know if I can consider buying a new raspberry PI and a new camera just to get the same non functional ^&*% as many other people are getting.

If we could just see a demonstration, of someone plugging in the native camera in 2017, typing in the command line and capturing an image, That would be great.

STEMinists

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 pm

We have a 5 MP Vilros camera that we purchased about a month ago. Although it worked originally we are now consistently getting the no data received mmal error. We have the raspberry pi 3B model, which works with other vilros cameras that we have. The camera is recognized in python, but once we try to view the camera, it does not work.

We have already tried to adjust memory, check our ports and cords, reenabled the camera multiple times, and checked to insure that our raspberry pi and python program is functional.

Thanks.

airfishey

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:19 am

Something appears to be very finicky. I suspect even the slightest curve in the ribbon cable causes problems. Previously, I was unable to capture pictures via

raspistill  -v -o image.jpg
I would get the error message

mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny cone on the camera board.
I am using the official Raspberry Pi Zero case, the Raspberry Pi Camera v2, and the Raspberry Pi Zero W Starter Kit from CanaKit. When I take the camera and Pi Zero W out of the case, I can usually successfully capture both pictures and videos (with raspistill and raspivid) after some time. I've checked the continuity of the ribbon cable with a multimeter. Everything checked out fine (no shorts between neighboring pins and no opens between pins that should be connected on opposite ends. I'm not entirely sure how to remedy the situation yet, but like I said, I suspect the ribbon that came with the offical Raspberry Pi Zero kit is the problem.

I'm still playing with it. I'll try to remember to post an update if I discover anything new.

PS: Does anyone have a hardware schematic for the camera v2? I thought about taking some multimeter readings on the test pads earlier, but I wasn't sure what I would even be measuring.

lanegg

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 am

Because this is the first hit that comes back when you Google the answer. I had the exact same error message despite the fact that I knew the camera ribbon was connected properly.

The issue wasn't the ribbon from the camera to the Pi board. It was the ribbon that connects the CCD sensor to the camera board. On my camera (Rev 1.3 NoIR) the ribbon is yellow and has the word 'Sunny' on it. That ribbon was undone.

I've had this camera for a while but I think this is the first time I hooked it up to a board, so I am 75% sure it came disconnected from the supplier. Hopefully this saves someone from having to dig really deep like I did.

jhansx

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:44 pm

same issue.
As to the reliability, if it is your board that is not working the reliability is zero.
It doesn't matter about the millions that work.
Frustrating to us when "It's supposed to work" is the answer from the engineers.
Hope you can understand.
"Why can't we all just, get along." J.Nicholson , Mars Attacks.

racer993

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm

mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny cone on the camera board.
From my experience with the installation of more than 2.500 RPi camera modules, I can confirm the following:
- it was always a hardware issue
- the cause of the error was almost always a damaged flat cable
- in only a few cases it was a (semi) loose sunny connector
- I haven't come accross a cold soldering yet, but it could very well be a cause as well

I hope this helps others diagnosing the problem.

rma153

Sat May 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Here is how I solved this same issue. For me it was a power issue. I saw John Pham's amazon review on using a new Arducam OV5647 Camera on his Raspberry Pi 3

"Tried it on two raspberry pi boards. Initially works great, however after attaching a wifi dongle the CSI2 port gets fried and can no longer read off the camera"

Similarly, my CSI port fried with no warning except the " mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny cone on the camera board" which tells me nothing, and I know of no good way to test for a fried port..

So instead, I replaced my fried RPi3 board with a new one but I made sure nothing is ever plugged into my USB ports that draws a lot of current. So my WiFi USB dongle uses a powered hub now, and I get no error message The camera works, and I have had no issues (yet) with frying the CSI port on the Pi board.

Return to “Camera board”