EdgeNL

Re: camera module mmal error - help!!

Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Also solved by: overheated USB ports / too much current (?) / and reconnected both sides of the flat cable once.

Bought a new RPi2 and connected the new NoIR V2 camera + wifi UBS + USB16GB dongle + Rii keyboard dongle + powering that keyboard...
Getting similar errors like: "ENOSPC" or "mmal: No data received from sensor..."

Removing the 'keyboard powering', does help, now the same setup is working, although the USB casings still get warm.
So in my case, no faulty hardware or wrong software, but wrong component selection, resulting in power/heat issue.

Software:
$ vcgencmd version
Apr 27 2017 17:27:25
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 17af5814bb19dbb7c70ccd2c845b80a160943811 (clean) (release)
$ uname -a
Linux RaspberryPi 4.9.24-v7+ #993 SMP Wed Apr 26 18:01:23 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
$ raspistill -v -o ~/tmp/image11.jpg
... raspistill Camera App v1.3.11 ...

lem0nkey

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks for this info. I suspect this is the problem that I'm having with my Raspberry Pi Zero (non-wireless) which originally was setup with a Wifi dongle connected to the USB port.

I'm going to try connecting the camera module I have in a newer Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless to confirm if my CSI2 port was originally fried on the non-wireless board.
rma153 wrote:Here is how I solved this same issue. For me it was a power issue. I saw John Pham's amazon review on using a new Arducam OV5647 Camera on his Raspberry Pi 3

"Tried it on two raspberry pi boards. Initially works great, however after attaching a wifi dongle the CSI2 port gets fried and can no longer read off the camera"

Similarly, my CSI port fried with no warning except the " mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny cone on the camera board" which tells me nothing, and I know of no good way to test for a fried port..

So instead, I replaced my fried RPi3 board with a new one but I made sure nothing is ever plugged into my USB ports that draws a lot of current. So my WiFi USB dongle uses a powered hub now, and I get no error message The camera works, and I have had no issues (yet) with frying the CSI port on the Pi board.

lem0nkey

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:14 pm

My issue was the ribbon cable on the board itself becoming unseated.

rma153

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 pm

I tried using a USB Y power cable to connect my LTE modem to my Pi (one of the Y legs is power only), which doubled the power available to the USB modem from combining the power from the two Pi USB ports. This solved my problem. My power hog modem uses 700mA. This in turn also allowed me to get rid of my powered USB hub.

voold

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm

I have the same problem. It was working before. Is it the cable that needs to be change or the entire camera module ?

karanhiremth

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Dealing with this issue now and wanted to add my 2 cents to the conversation.

1) What exactly is

Code: Select all

vcngencmd get_camera
looking for? Why is it that this command gives the OK when quite clearly something is not working with the camera system? It seems like for most users with this problem this command returns

supported = 1 detected = 1
and in my case, because I'm using the MyPi for the RPi3 Compute Module, I get back

supported = 2 detected = 2
. I did a bit of digging and all I could find was that it looks like vcngencmd is checking if the host interface works? Can anyone clarify?

2) Given that

vcngencmd get_camera
is not a reliable check to see whether the cameras are working or not, can someone please suggest a more robust software check to see if cameras are working or not?

3) Given that it seems like this problem is related to hardware, can anyone suggest a robust debugging procedure to determine which piece of the puzzle (RPI, cable, camera board) is broken? Any clues as to what traces to check, components to inspect, etc.? We are looking at using these cameras in production and it looks like we may have to reconsider if these really are as fragile as it seems. Can you suggest any ways to prevent this from happening? Do we need to take greater ESD precautions when fooling around with these things? Should we try to get them inside a casing of some sort ASAP? Please advise.

Finally, I understand that the RPi camera is now a proprietary, closed-source device. While I fully understand the organization's decision to lock down this device, doing so comes with certain responsibilities which it seems have not been properly upheld. First and foremost, there needs to be better documentation for users on how to use and troubleshoot this device to determine if they have a bad piece or if there is some other issue in the system. All that I have seen in regards to troubleshooting has been software related and it seems as though this issue is hardware related. Can we please get a more robust hardware troubleshooting guide as well?

It is the organization's responsibility to iterate on the design appropriately and share issues with their customer if they are not going to openly publish the schematics or other information on how we can improve on the design ourselves. I understand that this is a hardware related issue but simply telling us to return the bad boards doesn't solve any problems for anyone, especially without any indication of what could be done to:
a) prevent this issue from happening
b) debug if the issue is actually on the board or not, and
c) improve the actual design of the hardware to prevent this issue from happening in the future.

You have shared absolutely 0 information to us on how to prevent this from happening and If you make a piece like this closed source and if you are not going to take the responsibility of debugging the issue, please at least be engaging with the community when they attempt to determine what the issue is on their own and please do not act as though we are being unreasonable when we worry about whether this problem is a very large problem. I've read through this entire thread now and the "hands-off" relationship the organization has been taking to this problem is frankly an indication of a misguided approach to what seems to be a naive choice to make this component closed source. I totally understand all the motivations behind doing so, from a monetary, technological, and organizational perspective, but if an organization decides to make a decision like this they also need to be willing to uphold the responsibility that comes with it. So far, I have not seen this and it is definitely a bit worrying as we are deciding on which components to use in our production devices. I believe everyone in this forum is willing to work with the organization on a solution to this problem, but the organization also needs to be willing to work with us and provide us with proper information. Please understand that we are all here because we believe in the vision of a low cost, fully functional device which can be used as a fun prototyping and project option but there are also some of us who believe in this enough to also build products around them. Therefore we are tying the success of our product to this hardware and when the hardware is open source then it's our responsibility to ensure that we are covering all our bases - when the hardware is closed source we have to rely on the supplier, in this case you, to provide us with what we need. If that doesn't happen, we will have to look for other suppliers.

mikenf

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 am

Hi, I have similar issue with camera V2.1 on both Raspberry Pi W and Raspberry Pi Zero W. Command raspistill shows error:

mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
But the camera is detected:

$ sudo vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=1
I tried to enable logging to get more details but without luck.
I sent more details about week before (but till now without reply) there: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=160611#p1188456
Thanks for look :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:26 am

karanhiremth wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 pm
Dealing with this issue now and wanted to add my 2 cents to the conversation.

1) What exactly is

vcngencmd get_camera
looking for? Why is it that this command gives the OK when quite clearly something is not working with the camera system? It seems like for most users with this problem this command returns

supported = 1 detected = 1
and in my case, because I'm using the MyPi for the RPi3 Compute Module, I get back

supported = 2 detected = 2
. I did a bit of digging and all I could find was that it looks like vcngencmd is checking if the host interface works? Can anyone clarify?

2) Given that

vcngencmd get_camera
is not a reliable check to see whether the cameras are working or not, can someone please suggest a more robust software check to see if cameras are working or not?

3) Given that it seems like this problem is related to hardware, can anyone suggest a robust debugging procedure to determine which piece of the puzzle (RPI, cable, camera board) is broken? Any clues as to what traces to check, components to inspect, etc.? We are looking at using these cameras in production and it looks like we may have to reconsider if these really are as fragile as it seems. Can you suggest any ways to prevent this from happening? Do we need to take greater ESD precautions when fooling around with these things? Should we try to get them inside a casing of some sort ASAP? Please advise.

Finally, I understand that the RPi camera is now a proprietary, closed-source device. While I fully understand the organization's decision to lock down this device, doing so comes with certain responsibilities which it seems have not been properly upheld. First and foremost, there needs to be better documentation for users on how to use and troubleshoot this device to determine if they have a bad piece or if there is some other issue in the system. All that I have seen in regards to troubleshooting has been software related and it seems as though this issue is hardware related. Can we please get a more robust hardware troubleshooting guide as well?

It is the organization's responsibility to iterate on the design appropriately and share issues with their customer if they are not going to openly publish the schematics or other information on how we can improve on the design ourselves. I understand that this is a hardware related issue but simply telling us to return the bad boards doesn't solve any problems for anyone, especially without any indication of what could be done to:
a) prevent this issue from happening
b) debug if the issue is actually on the board or not, and
c) improve the actual design of the hardware to prevent this issue from happening in the future.

You have shared absolutely 0 information to us on how to prevent this from happening and If you make a piece like this closed source and if you are not going to take the responsibility of debugging the issue, please at least be engaging with the community when they attempt to determine what the issue is on their own and please do not act as though we are being unreasonable when we worry about whether this problem is a very large problem. I've read through this entire thread now and the "hands-off" relationship the organization has been taking to this problem is frankly an indication of a misguided approach to what seems to be a naive choice to make this component closed source. I totally understand all the motivations behind doing so, from a monetary, technological, and organizational perspective, but if an organization decides to make a decision like this they also need to be willing to uphold the responsibility that comes with it. So far, I have not seen this and it is definitely a bit worrying as we are deciding on which components to use in our production devices. I believe everyone in this forum is willing to work with the organization on a solution to this problem, but the organization also needs to be willing to work with us and provide us with proper information. Please understand that we are all here because we believe in the vision of a low cost, fully functional device which can be used as a fun prototyping and project option but there are also some of us who believe in this enough to also build products around them. Therefore we are tying the success of our product to this hardware and when the hardware is open source then it's our responsibility to ensure that we are covering all our bases - when the hardware is closed source we have to rely on the supplier, in this case you, to provide us with what we need. If that doesn't happen, we will have to look for other suppliers.
Not exactly sure what you are expecting us to do that we haven't already done,. but....

The camera connects via two interfaces, I2C and CSI2. The get connected command tests the I2C connection, and that is how the camera is detected. So the camera can be successfully attached via the I2C, be detected, but still not work if there is an issue with the CSI interface. AFAIK, its not possible to test the CSI interface except by actually trying to make it work (it's single direction, camera to SoC)

The camera has ALWAYS been a closed device BTW.

There is plenty of advice on fixing camera issues. It can one one of very few things. Lack of power, Bad cable seating/bad cable, bad connection from camera module to camera board. Broken camera module. Broken CSI-2 interface. Broken I2C interface. There is very little that can be done in SW to mitigate any of those things. We can test if the camera is there, but not if it is working correctly. That only happens when we try and use it and no data comes back over CSI-2, and that could be caused by most of the above but with no way of knowing which.

That's is. There nothing schematics will help with either. The HW, when all components are working, will just work. About the best you could do is put a scope on the CSI lines (or even I2C) to see if anything is coming back from the sensor, but don't forget a scope that can cope with the speed of the CSI is a very expensive proposition.

So, check the cables, check the 'sunny' connector, make sure the SW is up to date, make sure power supply is adequate. Still doesn't work? Try a different camera board? Still not working? Try a new Pi. Still not working? No idea.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

danilocastrojr

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi guys.

I'm having the camera board issue with:

[email protected]:~ $ vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=0
- Changed the RPi board (from RPi3 to RPi0W) and everything went well, using the same SD card (Raspbian Jessie full) and same camera board.
- My RPI board that suddenly stopped working with the camera was at a case in a static position for 3 months running a OpenCV software of mine.

As stated earlier, seams to be a issue with the camera socket on the RPI board.

I would like to confirm or deny this HW issue as I trying to get a firm answer on this because I'm trying to choose hardware and software for a future project and I need to know the risks by choosing a RPI board to be the hardware for this.

Tks

jamesh

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am

danilocastrojr wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm
Hi guys.

I'm having the camera board issue with:

[email protected]:~ $ vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=0
- Changed the RPi board (from RPi3 to RPi0W) and everything went well, using the same SD card (Raspbian Jessie full) and same camera board.
- My RPI board that suddenly stopped working with the camera was at a case in a static position for 3 months running a OpenCV software of mine.

As stated earlier, seams to be a issue with the camera socket on the RPI board.

I would like to confirm or deny this HW issue as I trying to get a firm answer on this because I'm trying to choose hardware and software for a future project and I need to know the risks by choosing a RPI board to be the hardware for this.

Tks
What makes you think its the camera connector?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikenf

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 am

jamesh wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:26 am
The camera connects via two interfaces, I2C and CSI2. The get connected command tests the I2C connection, and that is how the camera is detected. So the camera can be successfully attached via the I2C, be detected, but still not work if there is an issue with the CSI interface. AFAIK, its not possible to test the CSI interface except by actually trying to make it work (it's single direction, camera to SoC)

The camera has ALWAYS been a closed device BTW.

There is plenty of advice on fixing camera issues. It can one one of very few things. Lack of power, Bad cable seating/bad cable, bad connection from camera module to camera board. Broken camera module. Broken CSI-2 interface. Broken I2C interface. There is very little that can be done in SW to mitigate any of those things. We can test if the camera is there, but not if it is working correctly. That only happens when we try and use it and no data comes back over CSI-2, and that could be caused by most of the above but with no way of knowing which.

That's is. There nothing schematics will help with either. The HW, when all components are working, will just work. About the best you could do is put a scope on the CSI lines (or even I2C) to see if anything is coming back from the sensor, but don't forget a scope that can cope with the speed of the CSI is a very expensive proposition.
Hi Jamesh, thanks a lot for suggestion with oscilloscope.
I updated info on "my" thread viewtopic.php?f=43&t=160611&p=1193831#p1193831

ab1jx

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 am

I got this after 1 picture. I took a picture of the ceiling to see if everything was working. But then when I pulled the protective shipping tape off I saw the camera itself flop up, unseated from its board. So now I need to shut down the Pi, pull the camera and see if I can reseat the Sunny cable.

This is a version 1.3 camera I just got from Gearbest https://www.gearbest.com/raspberry-pi/pp_692849.html for $7.60, not an official supplier. Sitting around for years was probably detrimental to the adhesive that held the camera down. Anyway it's a cheap source of old cameras until they run out. I'd read you can't get the lens mounting loose on the new ones to focus them. Now I've got a cheap dead camera to play with.

Hmm, how do you set a pair of these up for stereo?

Got it. If you carefully lift up on the small flex cable coming out of the camera itself, on the end opposite the camera, you'll find it unplugs. The plug goes into a rectangular hole with contacts around the outside. Plug it back in and push down on it. The flex cable going to the Pi board also comes out on the camera end, so lift the latch, plug it back in and reset the latch. Doing that, then plugging back into the Pi board and booting the Pi back up let me take more exciting pictures of the ceiling.

BTW, here's a little script that will automatically take pictures named something like picam_2017-10-10_22-21.jpg

#!/bin/bash
datestr=`date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M"`
outname=picam_$datestr.jpg
raspistill -q 82 -o $outname -e jpg -ex auto -mm average
Save that to any name you want, then to a chodmod +x on it to make it executable. I'm glad mine's running again, your mileage may vary. But now I'm still puzzled by the stereo idea. In raspistill help it says:

-3d, --stereo   : Select stereoscopic mode
-dec, --decimate        : Half width/height of stereo image
-3dswap, --3dswap       : Swap camera order for stereoscopic
but there's only one camera connector. I googled and found the thread at viewtopic.php?f=43&t=85012 So I ordered another camera.

Just popped back to add this picture:
This is what the error message that talks about reseating the Sunny board (at left) is talking about. The double-sided tape that held this camera to the board has completely let go, which works the connector loose, it's been happening about once a day like this. The Sunny board is the tiny one at left with the camera on it. It's flipped over here to show the connector better. At the center of it is a rectangular hole, and at the center of the connector on the green board is a rectangular pin which fits into it. You just line them up and press them together. I didn't realize it came apart until I pulled up on it. They were mostly together but not making contact. The camera should be on the green board where the white silk-screened outline is.

Sunny side up :)
The purple lights reflected in the lens are from my macro light.

Camera interface https://mipi.org/specifications/csi-2

PaulMUK1

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 pm

I am also having issues on all of my Raspberry Pi Cameras with the same errors with the NMAL.

It has only happened since updating my Software with the commands
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I am at a loss as I have tried with both V1.4 and V2 cameras and get the same errors.

V1.4 Raspberrypi Camera
vcgencmd get_camera
supported=0 detected=0

V2 Raspberrypi Camera
vcgencmd get_camera
supported=1 detected=0

Any help would be very helpful please

ab1jx

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Hmm, I see changes in https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware 2 days ago. You might have pulled down something too bleeding edge.

You should maybe do a dist-upgrade and/or run rpi-update. I'm out of my league. If you have a spare SD card it would be a good time to clone onto it with piclone then play with that, assuming you consider your normal SD to be "production priority". I still use Jessie. I'd be about 99% sure it's a software problem but maybe you're at a half-upgraded point and you need to upgrade everything. I don't know how to revert.

ooi6

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 pm

I encountered a similar issue and changed boards, rebooted, changed the case my zero was in, got it to work and rebooted....

and the errors came back!

I couldn't believe it. Not touched it at all and it went from working to broken...

Eventually having reseated everything again etc I finally just pressed lightly on the connector at the camera and lo and behold the thing is fine once more.

Turns out that the problems were all caused by stress on the boards or over the connectors bending them ever so slightly and causing communications errors.

With the connectors unstressed everything was fine. Don't overload them in their cases or mounts. They don't behave well if you do.

ab1jx

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 am

Which connector, the one thats unplugged here:
DSC_0006_ri_crp_lev_shp_300.jpg
DSC_0006_ri_crp_lev_shp_300.jpg (20.62 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
To me it didn't look like it was a connector until I tugged on it and it came apart.

This reminds me of my Model B which had reliability problems up the wazoo for over a year. Thought it was power supply, then this or that, turned out to be a bad SD card socket. I'd think it was cured then it would come back.

It's fairly cheap to replace the cable from the camera board to the Pi board if you need to, and maybe get a longer one to boot. See adafruit.com, they have one several meters long if you're interested. But that flex board stuff can't stand much grief.

ab1jx

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I updated 2 machines by going to https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland and getting the master.zip file. Unzipped it, cded into the directory created, and ran the buildme script. It worked fine on both a Pi 3B and a ZeroW. The script does a make install at the end so all(?) your vc stuff ends up being up to date.

FlashT

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:36 am

So any news about that? But my message is somehow different:

raspistill Camera App v1.3.11

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No
Capture method : Single capture

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file test.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture -1
mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny one on the camera board
I checked all connections... seem to be fine.

Mickmengucci

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Hello, I am also having troubles when trying to access the V2 module camera for Pi. I want to get the its signal as a v42l device thus I run:

sudo modprobe 2835-v4l2

and get the error:

mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC

I am using RPi 3 B and have a bluetooth usb pen to use wireless keyboard and mouse. So maybe the problem could be a power supply issue?
However I am able to use the camera perfectly with python, for example to view it and also to record video from it. So, if it was a hardware issue shouldn't it affect python also? What drive (if this is the correct definition) is Python using to access the camera module?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Cheers

DirkS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Mickmengucci wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:09 pm
sudo modprobe 2835-v4l2

and get the error:
The only error msg you get with that command is

modprobe: FATAL: Module 2835-v4l2 not found in directory 
mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
What is the output of

vcgencmd get_camera
?

emoly

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:53 pm

I also had this issue. What fixed it for me was updating the software on the pi using the following command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Return to “Camera board”