GauVeldt

Feasibility of using pi-cam for motion capture

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:35 am

Edit: The LED, buffers and related wiring are no longer going to be used (instead just use barcode pads of a specific color not occurring the recording area other than the pads themselves) and the project may use regular Pi-Cams (NoIR no longer necessary). This would raise the limit on the number of pads possible to an arbitrary number (ie: >24). This change also eliminates a complicated synchronization (of LEDs to camera frame start and end) step.

Originally posted in http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=52900 as a query on the status of fixes to fps issues when trying to use >30 fps (assuming appropriate-resolution modes).

The project would involve 2 pi's with NoIR cameras with known separation and angles (and aimed to center a fixed location in the view) in order to use binocular geometry to calculate detected points in 3D. Networking to connect them and a desktop machine running a communication process to talk to the pis to get the detected points (2 2D points per detected LED, one per pi) then perform the calculation (based on camera angle, separtion distance and distance from focus target) to make a 3D point. This process would then talk to a blender addon to selectively apply the detected 3D points to the bones of an armature in order to record animations.

I didn't see any existing topics regarding such a project so I created a topic just now.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of such a project before I plan to undertake the around $200-$400 investment (2 pi2B's, 2 noir camera boards, 2 power supplies, 2 SDcards, 3 10/100 ethernet cables, package of IR LEDs, wire (LEDs to GPIOs), buffer chips (to power LEDs from GPIO signal inputs), 4-port 10/100 switch is the probable BOM for this project).

My plan on the pi side is to run the camera in a 90 fps (ie: VGA) mode, where the motion capture is done over four shifts, cycling a different set of LEDs per shift (one shift per camera frame) allowing a maximum of 24 points (using four sets of IR LEDs centered on R.G.B.C.M and Y colored pads) to be tracked at an overall capturing rate of 22.5 fps. The detection logic on the pi would scan the image for the bright spots from the IR LEDs then look for the surrounding color (the pad it is centered on) to differentiate each of the six IR points in the frame's image).

The overall schematic would be like:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/552 ... xample.png
Last edited by GauVeldt on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GauVeldt

Re: Feasibility of using NoIR camera for motion capture

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Not really a bump but I was pointed out in the linked topic that the Pi-Cams use a rolling shutter thus eliminating the possibility of using sub-frame interleaving (actually I wasn't doing anything subframe but I digress).

It this point I could just switch to barcoded pads of a specific color, chuck the whole IR LED aspect of the problem (can use regular Pi-Cams and eliminates a bunch of materials, so the wiring, LED's and buffers are no longer needed). Reducing this to just a binocular image analysis (and detection of the barcode pads in the frame image) problem.

With this change the procedure would then be to identify the barcodes and calculate its center for each pad.
I probably want small codes utilizing an expanded segment size due to the limited resolving factor of this camera (I saw on some OCR threads that the PiCams have lousy sharpness around the text).

GauVeldt

Re: Feasibility of using pi-cam for motion capture

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm putting this off for now since the situation with Pi's, cameras and proprietary specs has basically made this project much harder to achieve on Pi than some other existing DIY solutions using Wiimotes or the kinect camera for motion capture.

Return to “Camera board”