kneave

PiCamera on RaspiOS 64bit In Docker

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:09 am

I'm using the 64bit beta OS for a robot I'm building as it makes ROS much simpler to deploy, the PiCamera library isn't available yet as MMAL is still in development on the 64bit OS and as I'm also using/testing the StereoPi v2 board that becomes a little annoying!

As a proof of concept and workaround I've created a Docker image that uses a Balena base image that includes the MMAL bits and seems to work a treat, the image lets you pass in arguments to the StreamEye python example to stream video to the default port of 8080. This can be mapped to whatever port you want though using Docker's port mapping:
https://hub.docker.com/r/neaveeng/simpl ... e-streamer

The image also supports the stereo features of PiCamera that aren't often needed or used.

I've not tried running any other code in there but I suspect that it should Just Work(TM) but your mileage may vary. Hopefully it'll help others

amcdonley

Re: PiCamera on RaspiOS 64bit In Docker

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:37 pm

It appears I am following a similar path behind you, and seeing this same hurdle.

Docker is totally new to me.

Should your 32-bit streameye Docker image also "JustWork" on my Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit Server on Raspberry Pi 3B+ ?

(I submitted an issue on your github with details)

Return to “Camera board”