Quinctilius

HQ Cam and intervalometer function (For Astrophotography)

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi

I was wondering if there software/packages available that will mimic the function of an intervalometer for the HQ camera (or even ideally mimicking Backyard EOS). This will be for Astrophotography, for which I need multiple long exposure shots and I don't want to keep pressing the button each time.

What I would need is to get the camera to automatically take say 100 shots each at 10-second exposure (plus whatever settings e,g, ISO), plus ideally being able to set a small gap between each shot.

Thanks in advance, this is just before I buy the camera

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: HQ Cam and intervalometer function (For Astrophotography)

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:49 am

You're speaking of a timelapse, right? That's what the 'intervalometer' does, correct?
--timelapse, -tl time-lapse mode
The specific value is the time between shots in milliseconds. Note that you should specify %04d at the point in the filename where you want a frame count number to appear. So, for example, the code below will produce a capture every 2 seconds, over a total period of 30s, named image0001.jpg, image0002.jpg and so on, through to image0015.jpg.

-t 30000 -tl 2000 -o image%04d.jpg
Note that the %04d indicates a 4-digit number, with leading zeroes added to make the required number of digits. So, for example, %08d would result in an 8-digit number.

If a time-lapse value of 0 is entered, the application will take pictures as fast as possible. Note that there's an minimum enforced pause of 30ms between captures to ensure that exposure calculations can be made.
you need to add your other required settings

Gavinmc42

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:09 am

Plenty of timelapse code around.
Some Astro guys are using Pi's,been some pretty good images posted on here.

Lots of Astro software works too. Kstars etc
Just got Libcamera working so I can take raw images and do my own processing with a dual camera system.

Doing the stacking software on Pi's might take longer but I just regard that as a learning exercise.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Quinctilius

Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 am

Ah thanks all, yes i now see the timelapse allows options of an FPS < 1 second.

I'll be stacking/processing on my PC, let's see how this goes!

Return to “Camera board”