avielbr

I've tried every solution - brand new camera(s!) stop working

Mon May 03, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi everyone. I'm at my wit's end and hoping to get some help.

I am using a RPi 3 Model B V1.2 with the V2.1 camera module.

I have my Pi running "motion" for security. For reasons unknown, the camera lost connection and refused to reconnect (couldn't even take a still shot using raspistill - receiving the "Camera is not detected..." error.

No big deal. I'll use it on my Pi Zero W V1.1. Worked fine, and then eventually stopped working again, with the same error.

I figured the camera was shot, so I ordered TWO new ones. Plugged one into my Pi 3, and voila! It works again!

For 20 mins, then stops. Also won't work on my Pi Zero (same error as always). This goes for both BRAND NEW CAMERAS.

What I've tried:
  • Rebooting
  • Quadruple checking that the cables are in correctly
  • Ensuring the small connector on the camera board is tightly connected
  • Updating/upgrading firmware
  • Enlarging GPU allowance
  • Closing all services that might be using the camera
  • Ensuring camera is enabled
  • Probably more things that I can't even think of.

I could really use a hand here. New to this forum, so if there's any information I should have included that I didn't, please inform.
Full error message received when running raspistill -o test.jpg:

Code: Select all

mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly
Thank you!

thisisalloneword

Re: I've tried every solution - brand new camera(s!) stop working

Mon May 17, 2021 4:23 pm

I own seven of these v2.1 cameras and have had lots of trouble with them. Some of them work flawlessly, others give the same errors you get. I have kind of given up on trying to fix them. I have a cron job that reboots the pis at midnight which sort of helps as the error usually comes every 1-2 days since last boot . I have also tried updating the kernel..

Radu79

Re: I've tried every solution - brand new camera(s!) stop working

Tue May 18, 2021 12:04 am

I had a lot of trouble with the camera (in my case the HQ one), and especially with streaming over wifi (but not only). I put a 10000 uF capacitor on the main board, and it works really really nicely now.

Return to “Camera board”