cantsin

Re: Raspberry Pi Cinema Camera

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:16 pm

This is such a great project. I'm likely not the only one who's eager to see it succeed.

Would it make sense to start a fundraising action to support development?

And a question (since the hardware guide isn't done yet): Where do you obtain the shutter release button from? Is this a common Raspberry Pi accessory?

schoolpost

Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 pm

Bit of an extended absence, but I've now had some time to come back to the project and work on it a bit.

Have been working towards improved reliability over the current release, as dropped frames and limited records times were a constant issue. This mostly comes down to filesystem issues that are inherit with using a non-Linux filesystem. I've implemented some fixes/updates that should address this issue pretty significantly. In my tests I've been able to records for several minutes at a time which should be plenty for the use case of this camera.

I went out and decided to shoot some test footage in the highest resolution format available ( 2028x1520 ). This truly maximizes the throughput going through the system which acts as a good stress test.

With this short test I also used a 3D printed C-Mount/MFT Lens mount to let me use some of my existing MFT lens such as the SLRMagic 12mm T1.6 along with a Tiffen Variable ND Filter.

Click on the GIF for link to the video:

Will share more soon and hopefully have the updated release out soon for those who want to try it.
-Csaba Nagy

cantsin

Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am

Great work! -

I would be so grateful for a little pointer to where to obtain & how to install the release trigger button. Right now, this component remains a mystery to me, and I guess one cannot test/operate the camera without it?!?

Gorgeous video, btw!

EDIT: Maybe my question is totally trivial to people who are literate in electronics and Raspberry Pi hacking, but for somebody who's just a user this is a hurdle I simply cannot overcome. I understand that one need a simple button switch that needs to be connected between the GPIO4 and ground, but where can you get such a switch with the correct cables/connectors? Does it have a specific name, or is it some run-of-the-mill electronics component? Is it specific for the Raspberry Pi at all? I simply cannot find an answer to this question search anywhere on the web or on this forum.

schoolpost

Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 pm

cantsin wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am
Great work! -

I would be so grateful for a little pointer to where to obtain & how to install the release trigger button. Right now, this component remains a mystery to me, and I guess one cannot test/operate the camera without it?!?

Gorgeous video, btw!

EDIT: Maybe my question is totally trivial to people who are literate in electronics and Raspberry Pi hacking, but for somebody who's just a user this is a hurdle I simply cannot overcome. I understand that one need a simple button switch that needs to be connected between the GPIO4 and ground, but where can you get such a switch with the correct cables/connectors? Does it have a specific name, or is it some run-of-the-mill electronics component? Is it specific for the Raspberry Pi at all? I simply cannot find an answer to this question search anywhere on the web or on this forum.

Anything like these should work: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=aps&k=arduin ... lias%3Daps and yes you simply wire either end of the switch to those pins in order to "close/complete" the circuit and raspberry pi will detect that as a button press.
-Csaba Nagy

t0bybr

Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 pm

This project is awesome, the footage looks very nice. Would it be possible to share a few dng frames?

And do you think using a CM4 would be beneficial as it has 4 CSI lanes?

cantsin

Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Quick feedback: On Android, the app "My Camera Controller" works with the CinePI (ISO and shutter angle control work, the record button doesn't):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

Other apps that I tested (Blackmagic Camera Control and BMPCC4K Control) aren't able to find and talk to the CinemaPI via Bluetooth.

cantsin

Sun May 09, 2021 3:07 pm

Happy owner/user of the camera:
DSCF4185.JPG
DSCF4185.JPG (182.53 KiB) Viewed 881 times

cantsin

Sun May 09, 2021 9:18 pm

And here's some test footage shot with the CinePi (+ Ernitec 6.5mm/f1.8 c-mount lens), edited and graded in Resolve:

https://vimeo.com/547243485
Last edited by cantsin on Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocoolflo

Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 am

I saw that the recording limit for the raspberry pi 4gb version is 40 seconds (that's low).
  • Any fix to that?
    Is the software stable?
    Can you do a step by step tutorial on how to setup and start recording without an external monitor?
I have the pi, just need the camera module and hard drive.

When can you post the hardware requirements list?

I can't wait to build one and show the results to you.

cantsin

Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 pm

zerocoolflo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 am
Is the software stable?
No, it's an alpha version.
Can you do a step by step tutorial on how to setup and start recording without an external monitor?
You can start recording just by pressing the start/stop-button, but without an external monitor, you're running the camera blindly. (There is no viewfinder image on the external app.)
I have the pi, just need the camera module and hard drive.
You need the standard Raspberry Pi High Quality camera module, as a USB drive I would recommend a Samsung T5; 500GB will be sufficient for most cases.
When can you post the hardware requirements list?
The hardware requirements are:
- Raspberry Pi 4b with 4GB or better 8GB RAM (the latter gives your longer recording takes)
- High quality camera module
- Start/stop button with jumper cable (google for Arduino cable) to be connected to the Raspberry Pi's GPIO; you'll need to solder or screw the button to the cable, depending on which button you'll buy.
- Samsung T5 (or similar external USB SSD with UASP protocol)
- HDMI monitor + suitable MicroHDMI to HDMI cable; a cheap Andycine C6 or similar model does the job.
- Smartphone with Blackmagic Pocket 4K/6K Bluetooth app to control camera parameters (ISO, shutter etc.) - iOS currently works better than Android.
- USB power source for the Arduino: USB power bank with Power Delivery (PD), or an adapter like the Blind Spot Gear Power Junkie if you want to use Sony video camera batteries to power the Arduino.

cantsin

Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 pm

my second CinePI video:

https://vimeo.com/549059045

kudos to @schoolpost , unfortunately Vimeo's buggy interface didn't allow me to add credits to him.

jinesh Kunj

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:14 pm

Hello everyone,
Thanks to the author who developed Cine-Pi 2K
During these days when I can’t go out,
Let us have a lot of fun with Cine-Pi 2K
I completed a test video today,

https://youtu.be/L5R0VqNAULE

I also want to ask everyone,
I don’t know about sound recording
What can be used to achieve it,
It seems to be connected to the microphone directly,
it can’t work

Because my mother tongue is not English,
Please forgive me, the grammar may not be correct

Thank you :)

urpee

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 pm

Search for double-system film recording to learn how to synchronize sound to video. One way to do this is to use a clapslate, which is filmed before each take with the clapstick on top opening and closing rapidly, which produces a loud snap. If both video and sound is recorded at the exact same rate, then lining up the closing of the clapstick in the video with the audio spike from the clap in the editor will synchronize the sound to the video.

There are also other methods to do this. I have successfully used picam with a hifiberry audio card to record both audio and video in-camera.

tiramisioux

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:42 pm

This is such a great project! Running around with my CinePi all day, shooting stuff. I find the image vibrant and alive, much like 16 mm film. Will post some examples shortly!

I also love the philosophy behind this project, making it a 100% manual, yet digital camera. This opens up for great old school cinematography and experimental filmmaking!

Here is my setup (with the raspberry pi zoom lens):

Also experimented with making a little USB-accessory using a Microbit. :D

The three potentiometers control ISO, shutter speed and frame rate. Discovered that frame rate can be adjusted _during_ a take, making the CinePi 2K the only digital camera with real speed ramping capabilities! Doesn't seem to like it that much though. :D It seems to work but have to test it more extensively.

Which leads me to my question: What would be the best way to have a Python script of your own to autostart and then going simultaneously with the rest of the system?

I have tried all the ways I could find in tutorials but haven't succeeded. I can get it to run by ssh-ing into the camera, start the script and then go shooting but would be nice to have it to autostart.

Many thanks for this project! I honestly think this could be revolutionary. Would be happy to contribute financially for further development. :)
Last edited by tiramisioux on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

schoolpost

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:41 am

jinesh Kunj wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:14 pm
Hello everyone,
Thanks to the author who developed Cine-Pi 2K
During these days when I can’t go out,
Let us have a lot of fun with Cine-Pi 2K
I completed a test video today,

https://youtu.be/L5R0VqNAULE

I also want to ask everyone,
I don’t know about sound recording
What can be used to achieve it,
It seems to be connected to the microphone directly,
it can’t work

Because my mother tongue is not English,
Please forgive me, the grammar may not be correct

Thank you :)
Nice Video! :) I think youtube did alot of compression that smushed some detail but otherwise looks good! I like the Rig you have assembled ( that is shown in the thumbnail ) Look's like you are also using SmallRig ZV-1 cage like I am. ;)

I think I will share the 3D CAD files for my enclosure soon, maybe some more skilled CAD designers can improve/modify it to make it better.

Also next version of CinePI-2K I'm working on implementing a very basic sound recording option using ALSA ( Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ) so you can record audio with a USB Mic/Interface.
-Csaba Nagy

schoolpost

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 am

Wanted to share some test shots I recently did using a new Anamorphic adapter I recently got.
CinePI-2K works great with anamorphic given it can read out the full 4:3 sensor area of the IMX477 ( 2028x1520 )

This is the setup I used, using a Sun Anamorphic 16 Adapter and a 25mm 1.8 C mount lens. Adapted together using a 3d printed piece. It's not perfect and I'm still tinkering with a better mounting solution, but I'm fairly impressed with the results It creates.

And there are some still frames from what was filmed. Using a 1.8x de-squeeze.

I fully intend to shoot a short-film at some point with a setup like this to show that yes, you can make a cinema quality film with a raspberry pi.
-Csaba Nagy

Return to “Camera board”