yds

Lens degradation??

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 am

I've been using my Picam outdoors, in a sheltered location, without any type of cover over the lens, for the past year or so. Lately, the image has seemed blurry and yellowish. Is it possible the lens has been degraded by UVs? Tried cleaning it with Isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip, in case it was just dirty, but no difference.

Snapshot attached. Taken during cloudy skys, so it less yellowish, but still blurry.
PorchCam 2018-4-17 07.11.24.379 AM.jpg
PorchCam 2018-4-17 07.11.24.379 AM.jpg (175.76 KiB) Viewed 566 times

jit

Re: Lens degradation??

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 am

I've recently experienced something similar to this myself. Was wondering if the sensor may have been damaged or maybe the lense out of place causing the focus to be off.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 am

yds wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 am
I've been using my Picam outdoors, in a sheltered location, without any type of cover over the lens, for the past year or so. Lately, the image has seemed blurry and yellowish. Is it possible the lens has been degraded by UVs? Tried cleaning it with Isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip, in case it was just dirty, but no difference.

Snapshot attached. Taken during cloudy skys, so it less yellowish, but still blurry.
PorchCam 2018-4-17 07.11.24.379 AM.jpg
Hmm. I don;t know. I'l check in the office to see what might be causing that - to me it does indeed look like some sort of UV degradation, but I wouldn't expect that to happen. It could be condensation INSIDE the casing perhaps?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

yds

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 am

jamesh wrote:
It could be condensation INSIDE the casing perhaps?
The lens if fully exposed to the outside. I don't have it behind any covering or casing. It's placed in a hole drilled in a PVC electrical box.

6by9

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 am

yds wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 am
jamesh wrote:
It could be condensation INSIDE the casing perhaps?
The lens if fully exposed to the outside. I don't have it behind any covering or casing. It's placed in a hole drilled in a PVC electrical box.
Inside the casing of the camera module then, behind the lens.
The sensor has no form of IP rating for outdoor use, so i wouldn't be surprised if performance degraded when exposed to the elements.

You could try taking the camera module down, removing the lens, and cleaning inside the module. Only take that approach if you are happy in doing so as you could destroy the module totally.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

yds

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 am

6by9 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 am
Inside the casing of the camera module then, behind the lens.
The sensor has no form of IP rating for outdoor use, so i wouldn't be surprised if performance degraded when exposed to the elements.

You could try taking the camera module down, removing the lens, and cleaning inside the module. Only take that approach if you are happy in doing so as you could destroy the module totally.
So I did remove the lens, clean behind it and in the sensor. Didn't make any difference. Guess I'll just have to get another camera. BTW - I've had a second one running for around the same amount of time, but indoors pointing outside through a window. No issues with the image on that cam. So maybe it is a UV issue, since the indoor one is protected by window glass??

Return to “Camera board”