btidey

Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

btidey wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 pm
quavoce wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Hmm, the downside with this alternative method is that I loose the thumbnail images.

When you have time Robert, could you look into my original request above please? My idea is to basically have h264 files saved in an alternative folder, with the thumbnails being written to the media folder. This is what happens when boxing_path is set, but I don't want boxing to occur, yet when I turn boxing mode off, the h264 files revert to being saved in media.

A non-hack method would be better but I'm sure this will work in the mean time. :)
OK. I'll see what can be done.

It is correct that currently the boxing path is only used when boxing is active. Also thumbnails only get created when the video path is within the same media folder as the thumbnails. The reason for this is that it allows any folder structure in the video_path to be flattened and included in the thumbnail name which in turn allows the thumbnail to point to the video file no matter which subfolder it is in.

I think the two solutions are to change the flattening process to remove that restriction or to make the boxing_path always active even if boxing is not being used. The latter may be the easier option.
Latest version should use the boxing_path if defined to hold the h264 recordings even if boxing is off. Note that the schedule purging does not try to clean up the boxing_path folder

quavoce

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm

btidey wrote:

It is correct that currently the boxing path is only used when boxing is active. Also thumbnails only get created when the video path is within the same media folder as the thumbnails. The reason for this is that it allows any folder structure in the video_path to be flattened and included in the thumbnail name which in turn allows the thumbnail to point to the video file no matter which subfolder it is in.

I think the two solutions are to change the flattening process to remove that restriction or to make the boxing_path always active even if boxing is not being used. The latter may be the easier option.
Thanks Robert, the boxing_path solution sounds ideal!

wpballa1

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:40 am

btidey wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 pm
btidey wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 am
wpballa1 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:15 pm
It would be useful to be able to enable/disable the various macros. I tried changing the motion settings to reduce false alarms from clouds going by, but I could not get acceptable results even with 100% on the light adjustment. I am changing to a PIR for motion detection email alarms to solve the problem. I just thought the macro control would be useful.

As an aside, I've also run into problems with php in stretch, am currently trying again with the last wheezy version.
I'll see if I can add something for the macros.

All was working ok in Jessie but I haven't tried the latest update released a few days ago. I'll be checking that out at the weekend.
Latest version allows control of the macros under 'Systems'. There is a new pipe command 'um' to support this. I will document this in the wiki.

Note this update does NOT change anything with respect to latest Jessie; I am still checking that out.
Thanks, just to be clear though, I would need to update the software before this capability would work? And, then would the following command turn off the end_box.sh (as an example)
um 7 -end_box.sh
or
um 7 -end_box
An example in the Wiki would probably answer this question for everyone. And thanks for the modification!

btidey

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am

wpballa1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks, just to be clear though, I would need to update the software before this capability would work? And, then would the following command turn off the end_box.sh (as an example)
um 7 -end_box.sh
or
um 7 -end_box
An example in the Wiki would probably answer this question for everyone. And thanks for the modification!
Yes. This is only in the updated version. um command updates the filename associated with a particular macro. The - is used to disable. So the command can be used to enable/disable or change the filename.

um macroindex macroscriptfilename

where macroindex starts from 0
0 error_soft'
1 error_hard
2 start_img
3 end_img
4 start_vid
5 end_vid
6 end_box
7 do_cmd
8 motion_event
9 startstop

So your example would be
um 6 -end_box.sh

wpballa1

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification, I thought the numbering started at 1, not 0. :)

quavoce

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:38 pm

btidey wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm
btidey wrote:
quavoce wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Hmm, the downside with this alternative method is that I loose the thumbnail images.

When you have time Robert, could you look into my original request above please? My idea is to basically have h264 files saved in an alternative folder, with the thumbnails being written to the media folder. This is what happens when boxing_path is set, but I don't want boxing to occur, yet when I turn boxing mode off, the h264 files revert to being saved in media.

A non-hack method would be better but I'm sure this will work in the mean time. :)

Latest version should use the boxing_path if defined to hold the h264 recordings even if boxing is off. Note that the schedule purging does not try to clean up the boxing_path folder
Great, thanks Robert! I'll write this up on the wiki. :)

L_i_v_e

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am

Hi guys, i need help to configure the camera.
I have a python script that runs 24/7 and i want RPi Cam Web Interface to save a picture when a button (GPIO connected) is pressed. Every time the button is pressed the picture has to be saved with the same name, deleting the old one. After the picture is taken i will send it to a server via the python script.
So, how can i order RPi Cam Web Interface to save a picture always with the same name, in a script?
It can be shell, python or whatever, i'll integrate it later in my code.
Thanks

btidey

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm

L_i_v_e wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am
Hi guys, i need help to configure the camera.
I have a python script that runs 24/7 and i want RPi Cam Web Interface to save a picture when a button (GPIO connected) is pressed. Every time the button is pressed the picture has to be saved with the same name, deleting the old one. After the picture is taken i will send it to a server via the python script.
So, how can i order RPi Cam Web Interface to save a picture always with the same name, in a script?
It can be shell, python or whatever, i'll integrate it later in my code.
Thanks
There are a few options here but it also depends on what type of image you want.

The software is continuously generating the image that is used for the preview. The resolution of this is set by the 'width' camera setting. It defaults to 512 pixels but can be increased. If this resolution image is Ok for your purposes then you can just grab the latest copy from /dev/shm/mjpeg/cam.jpg

If you want a full resolution image as defined by the camera settings then you can grab this by sending the 'im' command to command pipe in the web folder. This takes a picture and creates the image jpg file and a thumbnail image in the media folder.

Sending the command from a shell file is a simple as echo 'im' > /var/www/html/FIFO (adjust folder if different). For python you just need to open the pipe like a file, print the 'im' command and close the file.

The captured image file will normally be given a unique name so for your purpose you need to rename it and copy / move it to where you want it. This could be done by either waiting in the same program that did the im command for say 1 second, or you could just use the end_img macro to do it separately. The macro will be fed the image file name as captured so the macro isjust a shell mv to the folder/name you want.

Also if you are not using the web interface for anything you could change the image_path definition in the config file in /etc/raspimjpeg

Normally this is something like
image_path /var/www/html/media/im_%i_%Y%M%D_%h%m%s.jpg

where the %variables are what define the unique captured image name. So if that was made
image_path /var/www/media/myimage.jpg
all captured images would have the same name

As an aside I do something similar to support a doorbell notification operation. When my doorbell is pushed I get a IFTTT phone notification plus web access command is made to the RPi camera software camera by the door to grab the latest image. It keeps the last 4 images on the same webserver and a html page shows these images which I can view on my phone. If that is of any interest I can point to further details,

wpballa1

problems with 9-22 version

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:32 pm

I've tried Stretch Lite (9-7-17) with the latest software. Both with PHP5 and PHP7, after I start motion and try to go into motion settings, it says motion isn't started and the settings are unreachable. It does appear that motion is not actually starting.

WIth Jessie Lite (7-5-17), and PHP5, it works just fine as always.

tk1

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey guys,
I've been using this software for a while now. It's the best I've seen at VERY nearly real-time video. Thank you for all the work you've put into this!

I've very recently upgraded to the latest version of this (and Raspbian), and noticed there's no longer the button to switch between the Full and Simple interface. Has this been removed? I really liked the ability to switch between them on the fly, and miss that feature. I would normally use the Simple mode, and switch to Full when I wanted to make changes.

Is there a way to put this back in or get it back without reverting to an older version? I tried the min.php, and it's too basic for me.

Also, is there a way to lose the banner at the top of the page on this new version?

Thanks again for all your time!
tk

wpballa1

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Further information: Sometimes I can get into the mode where Motion claims it isn't on when it is, even with Jessie. More concerning, the Pi will no longer reboot, it seems to hang when trying to disconnect the camera and I must power it down completely to restart.

Part of this problem might be interference from a background job, I am investigating further. Things with Jessie are pretty normal without the background job (a PIR motion sensor).

btidey

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am

wpballa1 wrote:
Further information: Sometimes I can get into the mode where Motion claims it isn't on when it is, even with Jessie. More concerning, the Pi will no longer reboot, it seems to hang when trying to disconnect the camera and I must power it down completely to restart.

Part of this problem might be interference from a background job, I am investigating further. Things with Jessie are pretty normal without the background job (a PIR motion sensor).
There is definitely something wrong with External motion and latest jessie. I think the motion programme may have changed a bit and broken the interface. The first issue was the motion logging has changed folder and that stopped motion from starting OK. With that fixed the motion process starts and allows the settings to be seen but the camera is freezing, so I suspect that motion is fetching previews at a fast rate. I am looking further into that.

Note that this is with External motion. I rarely (never) use that. The Internal motion is much lighter on resources and I find works well.

If the camera freezes and you can't reboot then you can try the following which works for me.

cd to the /RPi_Cam_Web_Interface and issue a ./stop.sh command. Follow this with a ./start.sh command to restart the camera system.

btidey

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 am

tk1 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm
Hey guys,
I've been using this software for a while now. It's the best I've seen at VERY nearly real-time video. Thank you for all the work you've put into this!

I've very recently upgraded to the latest version of this (and Raspbian), and noticed there's no longer the button to switch between the Full and Simple interface. Has this been removed? I really liked the ability to switch between them on the fly, and miss that feature. I would normally use the Simple mode, and switch to Full when I wanted to make changes.

Is there a way to put this back in or get it back without reverting to an older version? I tried the min.php, and it's too basic for me.

Also, is there a way to lose the banner at the top of the page on this new version?

Thanks again for all your time!
tk
The simple button was removed when the facility to change the UI facilities based on login was added. This allows 3 levels of access based on login including one similar to 'SImple'.

See wiki User Access levels under Additions and tricks.

In principle it would be possible to have the equivalent of a Simple button as well for the highest access level but I was trying to keep it straightforward.

btidey

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:39 pm

btidey wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am
wpballa1 wrote:

There is definitely something wrong with External motion and latest jessie. I think the motion programme may have changed a bit and broken the interface. The first issue was the motion logging has changed folder and that stopped motion from starting OK. With that fixed the motion process starts and allows the settings to be seen but the camera is freezing, so I suspect that motion is fetching previews at a fast rate. I am looking further into that.

Note that this is with External motion. I rarely (never) use that. The Internal motion is much lighter on resources and I find works well.

If the camera freezes and you can't reboot then you can try the following which works for me.

cd to the /RPi_Cam_Web_Interface and issue a ./stop.sh command. Follow this with a ./start.sh command to restart the camera system.
Stretch now has motion v4 (v3 previously used).

This is largely compatible but there are 2 differences.

First is logging as previously mentioned was changed to use /var/log/motion and this folder doesn't exist.
Second, and more important the daemon setting was changed from on to off. This is what causes the lock up as when scheduler launches motion then this never returns.

The updated install now comments out logging and sets daemon back to on.

If you have an install and just want to fix it then sudo nano /etc/motion/motion.conf
Find the daemon setting near top of file and change it to on. Find the logfile setting and comment it out by putting a ';' at front.
Save file

rjhazeld

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 pm

First thanks for the update to the install to deal with the change to PHP7.0. I used it to do clean install with nginx and php7.0 with no issues.
Unfortunately this hasn't overcome the Undefined offset errors I was experiencing in the nginx error log (extract .jpg file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AstwrstlVZLcgYZktBx_Z8Uumw67qQ ). An example is "PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 14 in /var/www/Cam/schedule.php on line 310" other offsets are 14 line 311, 15 lines 309,310,311, 16 lines 309,310,311. The block of undefined offsets appears repeatedly.
In case it is relevant: I have mapped a folder on my Synology Nas drive to /var/www/Cam/media and in raspimjpeg amended the image, time lapse, and video file names to place files in year/month folders and then year-month-day-hour-second - type and added a boxing path /var/www/Cam/media/boxing. Motion detect is set to internal.

I am not sure whether the errors are significant the camera appears to be doing what it is supposed to. I am a novice with all of this so don't understand the importance or otherwise of the errors. I'd be grateful if someone can enlighten me, thanks.

btidey

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 pm

rjhazeld wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 pm
First thanks for the update to the install to deal with the change to PHP7.0. I used it to do clean install with nginx and php7.0 with no issues.
Unfortunately this hasn't overcome the Undefined offset errors I was experiencing in the nginx error log (extract .jpg file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AstwrstlVZLcgYZktBx_Z8Uumw67qQ ). An example is "PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 14 in /var/www/Cam/schedule.php on line 310" other offsets are 14 line 311, 15 lines 309,310,311, 16 lines 309,310,311. The block of undefined offsets appears repeatedly.
In case it is relevant: I have mapped a folder on my Synology Nas drive to /var/www/Cam/media and in raspimjpeg amended the image, time lapse, and video file names to place files in year/month folders and then year-month-day-hour-second - type and added a boxing path /var/www/Cam/media/boxing. Motion detect is set to internal.

I am not sure whether the errors are significant the camera appears to be doing what it is supposed to. I am a novice with all of this so don't understand the importance or otherwise of the errors. I'd be grateful if someone can enlighten me, thanks.
Thanks for the nginx php log data. I'll check that out.

The errors are occurring when the scheduler is displaying the schedule settings, in particular when it is trying to show the rows containing the schedule times and the commands associated with them. This won't affect main camera operation but obviously it is best to find out what is going on.

I suspect somehow the settings config file schedule.json is out of sync with the current version of the software and may not have all the possible rows defined. If you could zip and post your schedule.json file that would help see what is happening

rjhazeld

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks for your help, Bill.
First there was no Schedule.json in the www/Cam folder. However, saving settings with the button on schedule.php generated one which is attached as requested. It is late here now so I haven't been able to check whether generating the file stops the errors yet.
Attachments
schedule.zip
(531 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times

tk1

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 am

btidey wrote:
The simple button was removed when the facility to change the UI facilities based on login was added. This allows 3 levels of access based on login including one similar to 'SImple'.

In principle it would be possible to have the equivalent of a Simple button as well for the highest access level but I was trying to keep it straightforward.
I did look over the wiki when I was looking for anything that might indicate what happened to the Full/Simple button.
I assume when you first install this, you are initially using the highest access level user. Unless and until the other users are set up, this is the level of access on the web page.
I would request that a Full/Simple button be resurrected for the two users levels that are not similar to Simple. Since not everyone will choose to set up the different user levels, maybe the Full/Simple button could still be useful? Even for the higher access user levels, I could see how it would still be a useful feature.

Just my $.02.

Thanks!
tk

btidey

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm

rjhazeld wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 pm
Thanks for your help, Bill.
First there was no Schedule.json in the www/Cam folder. However, saving settings with the button on schedule.php generated one which is attached as requested. It is late here now so I haven't been able to check whether generating the file stops the errors yet.
Lack of a schedule.json would give rise to errors like that. The schedule.json looks OK and I think the errors will have gone now.

I think what has happened is that it creates an internal default which didn't have enough slots. This gets corrected when you do a save settings for the first time. I'll fix this when I get a chance.

btidey

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:39 pm

tk1 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 am
btidey wrote:

I did look over the wiki when I was looking for anything that might indicate what happened to the Full/Simple button.
I assume when you first install this, you are initially using the highest access level user. Unless and until the other users are set up, this is the level of access on the web page.
I would request that a Full/Simple button be resurrected for the two users levels that are not similar to Simple. Since not everyone will choose to set up the different user levels, maybe the Full/Simple button could still be useful? Even for the higher access user levels, I could see how it would still be a useful feature.

Just my $.02.

Thanks!
tk
OK. I'll see if I can restore this in some way.

rjhazeld

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi Bill,
As you thought the majority of errors have gone. However, I still have one undefined variable 'remote _user as shown in this short extract from the nginx error log:
2017/09/25 00:01:29 [error] 412#412: *70 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: remote_user in /var/www/Cam/index.php on line 211" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.6, server: localhost, request: "GET /Cam/index.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock:", host: "192.168.1.13"
2017/09/25 00:01:29 [error] 412#412: *70 rewrite or internal redirection cycle while internally redirecting to "/index.html", client: 192.168.1.6, server: localhost, request: "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.1.13"
Hopefully this will also be a simple one.

tk1

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 am

btidey wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:39 pm
OK. I'll see if I can restore this in some way.
That would be awesome. Thank you in advance.
tk

btidey

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 am

rjhazeld wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 pm
Hi Bill,
As you thought the majority of errors have gone. However, I still have one undefined variable 'remote _user as shown in this short extract from the nginx error log:
2017/09/25 00:01:29 [error] 412#412: *70 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: remote_user in /var/www/Cam/index.php on line 211" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.6, server: localhost, request: "GET /Cam/index.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock:", host: "192.168.1.13"
2017/09/25 00:01:29 [error] 412#412: *70 rewrite or internal redirection cycle while internally redirecting to "/index.html", client: 192.168.1.6, server: localhost, request: "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.1.13"
Hopefully this will also be a simple one.
If not causing any problems then this can be ignored. For the nginx case when login is used then $remote_user is populated with the logged in user name. The index.php catches the error if variable is not present so should be OK.

quavoce

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 pm

btidey wrote:
As an aside I do something similar to support a doorbell notification operation. When my doorbell is pushed I get a IFTTT phone notification plus web access command is made to the RPi camera software camera by the door to grab the latest image. It keeps the last 4 images on the same webserver and a html page shows these images which I can view on my phone. If that is of any interest I can point to further details,
I would be interested in knowing more please. I have a wireless doorbell and bought a little RF receiver for the Pi, but there were no repeatable RF commands from the transmitter that could be relied upon for detection. Which doorbell do you use and is it wireless?

I've recently been using Telegram to send text/images/animated gifs from my RPi Web Cams to my phone and laptop when motion is detected. It works incredibly well and I'll write up how to use it soon. This may be a useful alternative to IFTTT as the response is instant.

On another note, would you be able to add a new job macro for time-lapse images please, perhaps called end_timelapse.sh? I'm currently integrating this project (https://github.com/jaufrec/webcam-timelapse) on GitHub into the RPi Web Cam software and I'd like to trigger the capture script after each time-lapse image.

Many thanks in advance!

btidey

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 pm

quavoce wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 pm
btidey wrote:
I would be interested in knowing more please. I have a wireless doorbell and bought a little RF receiver for the Pi, but there were no repeatable RF commands from the transmitter that could be relied upon for detection. Which doorbell do you use and is it wireless?

I've recently been using Telegram to send text/images/animated gifs from my RPi Web Cams to my phone and laptop when motion is detected. It works incredibly well and I'll write up how to use it soon. This may be a useful alternative to IFTTT as the response is instant.

On another note, would you be able to add a new job macro for time-lapse images please, perhaps called end_timelapse.sh? I'm currently integrating this project (https://github.com/jaufrec/webcam-timelapse) on GitHub into the RPi Web Cam software and I'd like to trigger the capture script after each time-lapse image.

Many thanks in advance!
In my case it was an adaptation to a standard wired doorbell. I used an esp8266 module to detect the push and send instructions onto the raspberry camera via a web access. The relevant part here was just an extra php on the camera which keeps the last 4 snaps and a simple html to display those.

I have an instructable write up on this https://www.instructables.com/id/Door-B ... re-Sensor/
The two camera related files are on the git repository referenced.

I'd be interested in the Telegram stuff if you write it up or maybe add to wiki.

For the macro do you mean when the whole time-lapse is terminated or after each image. I thought the end-image was called for each image whether time lapse or not. The macro could normally tell which was which from the naming and act accordingly.

Return to “Camera board”