framboosejh

Gertboard Manual

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:32 am

Hello,

I'am a dutchman so my native language isn't english. I am studying the Gertboard manual, because i have bought one, so that when i ask questions in forums on internet i don't get the answer 'RTFM'. But now i have a question about the manual. In the beginning of chapter Buffered I/O, LEDs, and Pushbuttons on page 14 and 15 in the first pargraph above Figure 8 is said "an output from the Gertboard is an input to the Raspberry Pi, and so the input jumper must be installed".

I think that is ment here that when you use one of the I/O pins of the Gertboard above the LEDs as an 'Input', the buffer 74xx244 from the gertboard act as an 'output' to an Raspberry Pi input pin. So an Input on the Gertboard is an Input on the Raspberry Pi.
Raspi-input o<---<|buffer|<----o< Gertboard-input.
I hope that i am thinking right, a bit confused. :roll:
And yes the paragraph under figure 8 explains it some more, but I was stuck with just the last sentence in the first pargraph

gregeric

Re: Gertboard Manual

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 am

Yes, even as a native English speaker it can be confusing. Even so, from what you have written here, I think you have understood it correctly.

It's a case of "a picture painting more than a 100 words" - if you have some understanding of circuit diagrams, you can rely solely on the diagram in Fig 8 to work out where to put the jumpers. The important thing to note is that the labels "input" and "output" are with respect to the Pi, not the gertboard.

framboosejh

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for your response gregeric. :idea: There are more parts in the manual that are a bit confusing, maybe it's an idea to rewrite it for the not so experiented people in the community with more pictures? :?: I will start to do that for myself,by making remarks in my copy of the original manual I wil need than somebody for proofreading. Would you do that?

Maybe I have to ask Gert van Loo for his approval to do that.

framboosejh

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:09 am

framboosejh wrote:Thanks for your response gregeric. :idea: There are more parts in the manual that are a bit confusing, maybe it's an idea to rewrite it for the not so experiented people in the community with more pictures? :?: I will start to do that for myself,by making remarks in my copy of the original manual I wil need than somebody for proofreading. Would you do that?

Maybe I have to ask Gert van Loo for his approval to do that.
It is not necessary that i rewrite the manual because Peter Vis made an excellent tutorial where he explains the working of al parts of the Gertboard. See this link: http://www.petervis.com/Raspberry_PI/Ge ... d_I_O.html

Return to “Add-ons”